What's new

Has a 3 day growth become fashionable? mini rant

I notice that almost all the leading men in recent movies and television seem to embrace the “I seriously need a shave” look. Many sports figures as well. It seems to be as contrived as the 10 minutes it takes to produce the “I haven’t combed my hair” bed head look. What do they have razors with guards on them so that they can’t get closer than 3 days worth of growth? They must be shaving to maintain the “look”. I mean come on, 2 weeks straight and you always have 3 days growth? What has the world come to?

Beard clippers (not razors) have started to become a "grooming tool"....

Not around here though :001_smile

It's called designer stubble, it's been popular for over 20 years now. On some people it looks good. On most it looks slovenly. To each their own of course.

I noticed many people doing it here in my country while I can't even wait for the next day to shave again. It's a new fashion thing that has been floating around for a couple months. I bet those guys never ever experienced a DE shave like us :001_tt2:

It's called designer stubble, it's been popular for over 20 years now. On some people it looks good. On most it looks slovenly. To each their own of course.

Thanks for the insight. So it even has a name and a wiki entry. I guess I did recall that Don Johnson and George Michael had this look, but seems it is more wide spread now. Like I said, what is the world coming to? and Yes to each his own...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designer_stubble

Bradley Cooper is the only man alive that can sport the fresh facial fungus look and pull it off. Everyone else just looks like they are trying too hard.

I HATE it... Of course, I'm primarily clean shaven because it helps make the double chin slightly less obvious... with a three day growth, it seems that the double chin looks like it sticks out farther than my actual chin! LOL.

I guess I could grow a full beard to cover it entirely, but then I wouldn't get the joy of a nice shave.

Dean

...What has the world come to?
Watching too much TV. Watching TV at all. Living and building ones life according to what they see "leading men in recent movies and television".

In the absence of true and natural parents, youngsters learn from movie stars.

That's what the world has come to. Hollywood life.

Back in the 80's, there was "The Miami Device". It was basically an electric trimmer to keep the Don Johnson look, the three day beard look.
I have noticed in the last few months that many models you see on TV and ads are sporting the stubble look. You see them with gorgeous, beautiful well groomed ladies,and a scruffy looking guy. Maybe all those Axe commercials over the years have influenced society, haha.

Maybe all those Axe commercials over the years have influenced society, haha.

Best anti-Axe response I have seen was an article written by a mom who's 11 and 13 year old sons started wearing ridiculous amounts of it. She countered by using the products for a week. Her sons never touched the stuff again!

The war on stubble continues on B&B, lol. Seriously only certain men can pull off the stubble look without looking like bums. I have tried in the past, it looked like crap on me. Plus being me 30, I have no need to look any older than what I am.

Not to hijack this thread, but there is an Axe commercial where a girl calls up to a guy in his second story apartment. He drops her the keys to his apartment, and runs to the shower. He then stops, sees the bottle of Axe, sprays it on himself, then runs into a wall. An outer layer of, I don't know, grunge, filth, smegma, dirt, shatters off of him, just in time for her to enter the apartment. Absolutely disgusting.

I can't say why it is popular, other than a general "informalization" of society.

For me, I kept some facial hair (ranging from stubble to full beard), mainly because I couldn't find a shaving routine that I actually enjoyed. Irritiation and pain were constant, so I just never developed the habit. I am working on that now, as I find wet-shaving to be a very enjoyable experience.

People are also tremendously busy. If you have been out late the night before, skipping steps in the morning to gain a few more minutes of sleep. If you do shave, it's a couple of times a week, or just on a weekend.

I'm not defending this at all.

It's no accident that the perma-stubble look has arrived on the scene with the dominance of expensive/crappy shave cartridge systems.

Perma-stubble also gives the wearer an air of rebellious individuality in the same way that earlier generations wore long hair and full beards.

Perma-stubble also gives the wearer an air of rebellious individuality in the same way that earlier generations wore long hair and full beards.

It's seems that people think they are being original when they dress and look like their favorite movie star. Often times, the people who look "square" by Hollywood standards are actually the most interesting and original.

It's seems that people think they are being original when they dress and look like their favorite movie star. Often times, the people who look "square" by Hollywood standards are actually the most interesting and original.

meh, with everything else these days, it's a combination of: a-people just being lazy b-typical faddish behaviour.

Top Bottom