What's new

Need some advise

I'm a newbie. Learning to use DE myself. My wife and I are family living providers and we have a gentleman staying with us that is handicapped with a traumatic brain injury and unable to shave himself. He is African American. I have experience shaving him. I have used disposable razors with 3/ 4 blades and they do not do a good job. They drag, clog up, pull etc. and cause bumps etc. He has a moderately heavy beard and needs to be shaved at least twice a week. It does not need to be BBS. I am wondering what I can do, what razor(s) to use, DE, Straight, AC/SS Disposable straight etc. Have watched many videos on straight shaving other people and leaning toward that, but not sure where to start, what gear to have, what works best with African American men. Thanks.

I have a few black friends that I've spoken with about shaving just recently. They all said their beards are thick and curly, similar to the hair on their heads. Apparently a straight or a DE is the way to go - especially for curly growth. Cartridge razors pull the hair up and cut, and then it drops back down below the skin. So, with curly hair, and a fresh-cut and sharp end, the hair will grow back into the skin, causing bumps. Therefore, using a straight or DE that doesn't cut below the skin should reduce, if not eliminate this. My buddy also said that there are a couple specific products for black men to help prevent bumps like this. I can't remember what they're called, but I know I've seen them in my local drug stores. That's the info I have. Hope it helps.

Yes, I would try a one-pass or two-pass shave with a mild razor like a late-model Tech.

Or the bumpfighter cartridge system is designed for this and is available in some drugstores. The handle is compatible with Trac II cartridges, which makes it handy for air travel.

Last edited:
I have thick curly mediterranean hair. I have tried a lot of different razor blades and the blades my face seem to appreciate are the Feather and Permasharp, as you might guess for this kind of hair you'll need the sharpest blade out there. Permasharp lasts for 8 shaves, Feather 9+. My gear:

Merkur 34C HD
Proraso Shaving Cream
Proraso Aftershave
Feather & Permasharp blades
Semogue 620 Brush

I do 3 passes WTG, XTG and ATG for a full BBS.

Since it doesn't have to be BBS and you only need to shave every few days, I know a couple friends that use electric clippers since their stubble isn't as noticeable on darker complexions.

Is he on any blood thinners ( coumadin, xeralto ,heparin, Lovenox etc.) If so , a bladed shaver would be unwise-electric razor would be the only option. I would not use a straight on someone certainly , unless I had a lot of experience with one.

Top Bottom