What's new

Could someone tell me if NOS Gillettes are worth purchasing?

I've been looking around on ebay and have seen alot of NOS Super Speeds and Techs in original packaging and they are labeled NOS. Are these worth picking up and using?

Of course, if price is right. Great razors.
although I suspect even NOS items can be subject to loss of plating or cracking with age, so examine.
And, used ones normally clean up nicely.

In my experience, unless it is super cheap, meaning less than $10.00 it's not worth it. You will receive a similar if not equal shave from a razor that was loved by someone else for many years. My favorite razor is a 40's Super Speed which when I found it was coated in soap scum in a ratty dirty box(only $5.00 at a flea market). If you give some attention to almost any razor you can make it look near new again. Pick up some Fitz or Maas and you'll be in good shape! Happy hunting!

That is up to you. A used razor that is mechanically sound will shave just as well as the NOS will. If you definitely want NOS and the price is right I don't see a reason not to buy it. There are used razors out there that look just about as good as new. I bought a used Gillette Slim that could pass for new. You may also find some good deals in the BST part of the forum.

I love MAAS!!! Once you use it you'll find so many more uses for it than just razors (or metal). Try getting stains out of your counter top with it.

If you are intending to use the razor, just buy a user grade item that is in good shape; it'll serve you just as well. The NOS stuff is generally going to be purchased by a collector, or perhaps as a special gift, or a birth year/quarter item.

Available user grade Gillettes are relatively plentiful and for the most part are modest cost. Have fun.

-- John Gehman

Are you a collector? :thumbup:

That's my answer. (And personally, I am not a collector).
Exactly - if you are a collector - then NOS is ok, but if you are a user like me (no interest in collecting at all) then only if the price is cheap as I would open/use said item. Its really up to you if you feel comfortable purchasing NOS at a decent price and your intentions.

It really all depends. If you find one for a good price then snatch it up. If you're rich as hell then price won't matter but, if you aren't then a good user grade is a great choice to start with. Prices for NOS can be a little out there. Last week I was bidding on a NOS Aristocrat that sold for over $500.

For just a few dollars I got my Gillette Rocket, 1948-1952ish?, even taking it off the shelf in the shoppe it looked 'new'. After hardly a clean at all you'd swear it was! I can't see anywhere there may be any plate loss or anything. Looks as good as a shiny new one and shaves like it is too.

If you are planning on opening it up and shaving with it, then the premium isn't really worth it. Part of why the price is so high is the fact that it is still packaged. I would just go with a nice used example. There are a whole lot of them out there in mint condition. If you are worried about what you will receive off the 'bay, then I would suggest taking a look at the shaving mall here. If you have any antique stores near you, it might be worth it to go peek in there as well.

Thanks guys. I believe I will try some antique stores and keep my eyes open on the shaving mall forum. I did happen to win a NO 24 off ebay just now for 22.00 and it is unopened so I guess that isn't too shabby.

Just find a nice user grade for ~10$. My favorite do far is a ball end tech. I have a fatboy and a super speed but I reach for the tech more often.

Top Bottom