What's new

What Knife Did You Use Today?

Mike what does TI use for knife steel? Are any available in their carbonsong steel they use on straights???

My brochure says Stainless steel 4116 chrome vanadium which is what I have, and the carbon steel: Carbone C60. Doesn't look like they use the carbonsong used in the razors.

A Yamashin Nikiri in white #1 and a plain old rada cutlery chef's knife. (both of which I keep blistering sharp.)

No kitchen knife ... but I used my Laguiole (a Laguiole Rossignol from Thiers) to slice and cut a watermelon. A nice summer treat.

$P8071672.jpg

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
That's a knife.
-C. Dundee

Yet nobody notices darinpix's 24 incher.

Masamoto HonKasumi 240mm Wa-Gyuto (Hitachi white steel #2). It's actually closer to 265mm - Koki at JCK called it a yanagi-gyuto because of its extra length and trim profile :biggrin1:. Probably my favorite chef's knife...

$image.jpg

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Masamoto HonKasumi 240mm Wa-Gyuto (Hitachi white steel #2). It's actually closer to 265mm - Koki at JCK called it a yanagi-gyuto because of its extra length and trim profile :biggrin1:. Probably my favorite chef's knife...

View attachment 495871

That's a very impressive knife. I can't even find it on the JCK site.

Hey- make sure they know about it on kitchenknifefora.

That's a very impressive knife. I can't even find it on the JCK site.

Hey- make sure they know about it on kitchenknifefora.

It's a joy to use and I *do* use it these days. It remained "in-saya" for quite a while before I felt confident enough with my sharpening skills. It's from the KS series here:

http://japanesechefsknife.com/KSSeriesHonKasumiGyokuhakukou.html

but much of the line seems out of stock currently, which I've not seen happen before. I purchased it and the matching petty a few years ago - superb knives for the money. I've dreamed of a pro-line gyuto from Watanabe, but can't really justify it and his prices seem to constantly be rising...

Last edited:
In the "My knife's bigger than your knife" category, my entry is a 'Gustav-Emil-ERN' chefs knife. Blade is 37cm. I can mulch some serious quantities of onions & peppers with this little fellow. BTW all the Japanese blades above are simply art work. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom