What's new

What Knife Did You Use Today?

A Roaring Red Stag ? I don't go out for the start of the Roar at Easter any more, too many guys out there with stag fever.
yes flexi knifes can be a pain to hone. I spread my fingers out to apply even pressure over the blade and only hone with medium to light pressure.

Fellow deer on private land dairy flat :) tasted great as usual been resting for a week in the fridge. Had another hone light pressure doing the edge in sections with good results.

Last edited:
$Ichi large.jpg

Ichi to trim up some Tbones for the grill.

Ken onion (Shun) clever and 10" santoku. Needed the clever to cut/chop frozen bacon and the 10" santoku (I have a 8" as well) because I needed to cut through some big heads of cabbage. Needed length. Had them about 3 years and just LOVE the handles. I dont get those callouses I used to get from "gripping up" on the blade because of the shape of the top portion of the Ken Onion handle.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Yoshikane 6" SLD slicer does a ham sandwich from Easter leftovers...

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $DSCF0933.jpg
    $DSCF0933.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 190
Nice stuff man!

How do you find the shape of those blades compared to the historical shapes?
Your first line is very true, it's really nice stuff. It is, however, a shape you need to know you like before buying. I live Shun's classic series and my Gyuto I got from a previous group buy, but I don't like the Ken Onion Shun line. They cut like you'd expect from Shun, but I don't like the handle and the blade with respect to the handle. There is nothing wrong with them, but you need to make very sure you like the design. We had a chef that swore by them at the restaurant I worked at, and we also had a chef using the classic line. It's like a fine wine. One person may like wine A, one likes wine B and would never drink wine A given B's availability...but A is a damned fine wine.

I used a Fontessa dinner knife today to make PP&J for the kiddos. I normally use the above-mentioned knives when I do real cooking.

I've tried everything from Shun to Global to Wustof, but my go-to everyday knife is Kiwi brand. $4-5 at most Asian markets and I love them.

I've tried everything from Shun to Global to Wustof, but my go-to everyday knife is Kiwi brand. $4-5 at most Asian markets and I love them.
Nothing against those brands at all but I'd give it one more go with a Takeda or other similar high end laser :)

Kiwis are scary sharp and you aren't heart broken when they hit the deck during a busy service or a one of those days when you just drop everything. :(

First 8 hours of my day I used my nakiri Madori Hammono from the previous group buy...

Then I used my Richmond Laser in AEBL for a few hours then my 8" 2Lion Sabatier non-stainless for the rest of my 17 hour day on the line... Can graduation season and Mother's Day be over now? I has a tired...

I was reminded yesterday how sharp the Madori Hammono gets... I nicked myself... I haven't done that in ages. My line cooks were flabbergasted. I'm fine. The nick was just that, a small nick but it required a blue bandage and a glove for the rest of service. It was making such quick work on the shallots and green onions. So thin behind the edge with enough weight to go through without much motion from me. Now if only it was a touch taller...

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400993616.033152.jpg

I rescued this old Gonon-Gironde French stainless from a friends house. It was left behind by a flat mate a few years ago. Sanded the handle, linseed oil and a new bevel it's almost like new again. Very hard steel easily the hardest I have sharpened so far, quite thin for its 20cm length too. Vegetable fried rice.

I still use my 1970's era Old Hickory for cutting and chopping veggies and meat for the grill and for dishes we cook. I still use a Ginsu serrated knife we got as a wedding present for cutting bread, Nothing else I have beats it.

My Eden damast santoku has been all I've used since I tried out my Lansky system on it (I'm crap with whetstones) It's seriously farkin sharp now. Way sharper than any kitchen knife I've used before and it seems to be holding its edge well!

Mike what does TI use for knife steel? Are any available in their carbonsong steel they use on straights???
If I'm not mistaken Jer, TI gets those knives made by Sabatier. they are available in stainless and a carbon steel I forget the name of (ill find it and post the european industrial code) and are tempered to around 57-58 HRC. Patina control on the carbons is pretty easy I find.

Top Bottom