What's new

Arkansas shaving.

I've used plain white vinegar to cut through the oil, may not work on the heavy stuff, but it does a decent enough job... A spritz or tow of WD-40 cuts it too.

The Arkansas stone Has no grit. It is Novaculite, like a chert it is a layered flake. Some people will give you an EQUIVALENT grit which is the way we all rate the NATURAL stones we use.

Yeah, my Washita is said to be 300 grit, it finishes like a 6000 or 7000 grit stone. Those ratings aren't worth as much as the electrons that they are printed with :)

grit was the wrong word, that's what I get for trying to type that out on my tablet without increasing the size of the font I take shortcuts. :)
I had actually been reading that HUGE thread on lapping film and was curious where my Arkansas stones fell in an equivalent micron area. I was trying to decide on the C12K or some lapping film for a finisher to hone my razor, and was curious what I already had. That's the search I was doing when I found that chart and I thought it was curious. My soft would fall into the 20 micron range, with my hard at 14. I think that might be accurate if it's freshly lapped, and not been burnished into working shape, but I'm not sure anymore.
I'm going dig through some stones my dad had this weekend, he gave me his knife collection before he passed but I left his stones at my mom's in case she needed her kitchen knives sharpened. I believe he has a couple more carbo stones and a Arkansas translucent, if not then I gotta figure out how to hone this razor and keep the edge sharp.

A well prepared trans ark will finish as good any finisher out there just a bit slower. If you have one I highly recommend getting it all smoothed out and use it if its in good shape.

A well prepared trans ark will finish as good any finisher out there just a bit slower. If you have one I highly recommend getting it all smoothed out and use it if its in good shape.

This should include the Dan's Black. It is their finest finisher (and mine) with few exceptions.
Arkansas stones are best rated for their density the higher density the finer the finish.

Hope this helps a little.

Another way to put it is that you should get a finer shaving edge than the C12K (at least I do).
A "good" Washita can replace most of your lower (grit) stones, with the exception of a fast bevel setter, then go to the black (or trans) for a super shave.

Ain't stones fun ???

Last edited:

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock

This should include the Dan's Black. It is their finest finisher (and mine) with few exceptions.
Arkansas stones are best rated for their density the higher density the finer the finish.

Hope this helps a little.

Another way to put it is that you should get a finer shaving edge than the C12K (at least I do).
A "good" Washita can replace most of your lower (grit) stones, with the exception of a fast bevel setter, then go to the black (or trans) for a super shave.

Ain't stones fun ???

Agree with both of these guys. Just can't get in a hurry.

if not then I gotta figure out how to hone this razor and keep the edge sharp.

If you have a soft and a hard that will get you to a GOOD shave. If you find a Trans or black, that will get you to a GREAT shave.

Agree with both of these guys. Just can't get in a hurry.
This seems key, and I'm a touch lost in this area. I know they have a reputation of being very slow, but I'm obviously used to the other stones I had which evidently were faster. I've been sharpening a couple of knives since I lapped them, to get them past the fresh lapped stage, and it seems I'm having very little success sharpening them. One is an older pen knife with good carbon steel, the other is a cheap stainless blade... both were pretty dull, but it seems really slow at this point... oh well, guess I've got to re-calibrate my idea of time on sharpening them it seems.

OK Harold, lets start with a razor, one that my be a little dull or one that has just had the bevel set.
First go to the soft or Washita for maybe 20-50 laps. You should be able to cut arm hair without effort.
Next take it to the hard and do maybe 50 laps. You should see improvement, if not go back. When you are ready to shave go to the black or trans for another 50 or so laps and you will be amazed.
The Arkansas stones are straight forward. I would not try the knife without a lot of practice honing on the bevel, trying to hone on the bevel requires a lot of practice. For a knife stick with the soft until you can shave arm hair before progressing.
If it's not sharp enough (with either a knife or razor) when you try the hair test just keep honing on that stone until your where you need to be.
Most problems are when you go to the next progression before you are good on the last hone.

Practice !!!!! and practice some more. There is no substitute for practice.

This seems key, and I'm a touch lost in this area. I know they have a reputation of being very slow, but I'm obviously used to the other stones I had which evidently were faster. I've been sharpening a couple of knives since I lapped them, to get them past the fresh lapped stage, and it seems I'm having very little success sharpening them. One is an older pen knife with good carbon steel, the other is a cheap stainless blade... both were pretty dull, but it seems really slow at this point... oh well, guess I've got to re-calibrate my idea of time on sharpening them it seems.
Are you using oil or water or???

I've had the arkies for a long time, just never used them, I've done many knives, even had friends and family who wanted me to sharpen theirs because of the edge I'd put on them, but I always used carborundum stones. One of the reasons I started with knives was because of my familiarity with them, so it would help me learn the Arkansas stones. The carborundum stones were a lot faster, but I always used them dry... Didn't know any better. As I said, just got to recalibrate my time frame idea. Oh and I use oil on my Ark's.

I went through dad's stones that were at mom's, the Carbo's were shot, but he had a pristine soft pocket stone and a white one I'm guessing is a hard but it's much harder and smoother than mine. It didn't pass the flashlight test so its not a trans. I'll try to take a pic of it later.

$DSCN0284.jpg
Got my truck key for size comparison, came out a little dark in this shot, it's a bit whiter than this

Yeah, most likely a soft but without feeling and testing it's a guess.
The chips will tell you a lot. Are they glass like or more like a sandstone?

Top Bottom