What's new

Strength Guide: How many sprays?

I quite like a bit of Platinum Egoiste too. I use 4 sprays, 2 on the chest and two on the upper arms.

4?! PE is one of my sillage monsters. I applied 2 once... i could not quite smell it on myself, but a person, almost 10 feet away immediately detected it as I walked by:eek: Of course my decant may be spraying a bit too much, but still. Because of its sillage, it is a suit edt. It is a formal scent to be noticed and respected.

Be careful about sprying on clothes... they may get stained.

4?! PE is one of my sillage monsters. I applied 2 once... i could not quite smell it on myself, but a person, almost 10 feet away immediately detected it as I walked by:eek: Of course my decant may be spraying a bit too much, but still. Because of its sillage, it is a suit edt. It is a formal scent to be noticed and respected.

Be careful about sprying on clothes... they may get stained.

I agree, PE is great when worn with a suit. The key is to spray in non-exposed areas UNDER your clothes. I do not spray on my neck or wrists as the scent will project like mad and likely give me (and others) a headache. But underneath the suit, the scent warms on the skin and gives off wonderful whiffs for me and others close by to enjoy for the rest of the day.

I feel that there is a general fear of overpowering by spraying more than once, but this is unlikely with most scents. I used to have this fear and it meant that my scent was hardly being noticed, by me or others. Since I have started spraying more, I have not once had any complaint and had many compliments instead.

No matter what, 2-3 sprays in the air and walk thorugh it. If cologne announces your presence or lingers after you've left, it's too much.

Subtle is the goal, always.

Most of my colognes get one spray to the chest and half to the inside of each elbow but I just recently received some Penhaligon's English Fern and this only needs one to the chest.

If I spray more than twice, then I must have missed my target on the first spray. For one or two scents, Even one is a bit much.

True, and for some of them 4 is not enough.
Tommy Bahama Set sail st Barts needs at least 5 to last 6 hours.

IMHO cologne is a lot like clothes. Saying that you only need one spray is like saying that you only need blue jeans and a white shirt. For some that is OK but I like to use shots, jeans, mandarin collar, t-shirts, sport coat, Red shirts, a pair of sporty shoes and dress shoes. A freakin yellow or red shirt you can see a mile away, a simple black dressy pants or a brown sober suit. It depends on two things, the environment and your comfort.

EDIT: second thoughts, I guess it is also a cultural thing. Some parts of EUA are much more conservative when using both in fragrances and clothes.

Floris Sandalwood- 1-2 sprays to the chest
L'Occitaine Vetyver- 2 sprays
Trumpers Spanish Leather- shake twice onto chest, rub in with wrists
4711- you can just slap this on how you like, it won't be strong for very long.

Right off the bat, I'll acknowledge that body chemistry varies widely from person to person. With that being said, I can't imagine spraying more that once to the chest. Speick EdT being the exception that makes my rule. (2 sprays).

I agree with Cory; some guys need less spritzing than others. With the exception of Speick and 4711 (which I pretty much have to bathe in :tongue_sm) a couple of sprays should do the trick.

I finally got my first cologne in 20 years, and I go with 1 spray to the chest, between an undershirt and my bare chest. I figure this applies the maximum amount to my body, as well as a slight amount to my clothing. I've always heard that its better to spray on the chest, because it heats up and gives off the odor better. My sister in law likes to spray in the air, and then leap through the cloud. Looks a little weird, but it works.

I tend to spray once to my naked chest and once to each side of my neck. Typically 2-3 sprays no matter what the cologne.

To me it depends on a lot of things. Everybody has to weigh it out and learn for themselves. It's as easy to underdo as it is to overdo imo.

A lot depends on the strength of the frag and how it settles on your skin.

Some frags can be hit harder than others.

Depends on a lot of factors:
  • Skin type
  • Strength of cologne
  • Compatibility with scent
  • How strong one wants it to project

Very well put. If you've got the personality for it, and are in the right mood, a strong dose of Anteus or Van Clef and Arpels Pour Homme can be fun.

Top Bottom