What's new

Alum block, yes? no?

I don't own one, have never used one and I don't see it mentioned as much as other shaving accoutrements on B+B. So I was wondering what the opinions are regarding its use?

I always use one, even on the days I don't shave. On those days, it's the last part of my shower cleansing regimen. It's helped a lot with my acne and ingrowns, and I find it a useful tool for gauging technique with new razors. If it's a great shave, you likely won't feel anything, maybe a slight tightening sensation. If you were careless or got overly aggressive, it will let you know.

Absolutely. Every time. I let it do its thing for a few minutes. Basically until it drys, rinse with cold water, apply AS.

Very helpful for stopping a weeper or two. As Badmedicine said, it provides instant feedback on your technique. I use it every day in place of antiperspirant. Not only is it cheaper, but it doesn't stain my shirts. Just don't drop it--it really will shatter if it hits the floor.

I'm a big fan of the alum block. The are inexpensive and last a long time. I never have any razor burn or itching after using the alum block and Nivea aftershave balm.

Very helpful for stopping a weeper or two. As Badmedicine said, it provides instant feedback on your technique. I use it every day in place of antiperspirant. Not only is it cheaper, but it doesn't stain my shirts. Just don't drop it--it really will shatter if it hits the floor.
Better than styptic pencil?

I listened to a podcast (The Moustache and & Blade Podcast, Episode 2) and Joe from Italianbarber.com, spoke about the virtues of an Alum block. I purchased one from the Italian Barber and I go back and forth between the Alum block and Witch Hazel. I don’t get a burn with the WH but I do with the AB but its slight and fleeting at the worst.

I agree with Badmedicine in that if you're a bit aggressive the AB will let you know. But it’s not anything like the burn of a styptic pencil, (obviously used only for bleeders and the like and not the entire face) the AB and WH, as I understand it are for post shave disinfecting and to help stop irritation. Joe also said that an AB could be useful in helping controlling acne.
For the price of an AB and some WH I say get both and give them a try.

Remember YMMV.

I used the block for years but found that it dried my skin out. I switched to WH and have never gone back.

Thanks gents I just ordered one from Amazon, $6.00. My wife just accused me of becoming a metrosexual.

It's a nice feeling to spoil yourself. The European gents have been doing this for a hundred years. I'm just late to the party. Based on my credit card bills I'm catching up ASAP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom