What's new

KITCHEN KNIFE BUY lV****CLOSED****

This time we’re bringing you something a little different, higher quality with performance options. Hiromoto Aogami Super Steel knives represent a great value to price ratio, add in some extra work and they become truly exceptional knives destined to become family heirlooms. :thumbup1:

Hiromoto Tenmi-Jyuraku Aogami Super Steel (AS) Series

Santoku - 190mm available
proxy.php

Gyuto - 210mm, 240mm & 270mm available
proxy.php

Knife Features:

Core Steel Type - Hitachi Aogami Super Steel - 1.40-1.50 Carbon, 0.30-0.50 Chromium, 2.00-2.50 Tungsten
Cladding Steel Type - 420J1 Stainless
Stock Handle – Black Staminawood

Package Options:

1. Sharpening Package ($35 Value) = Edge Sharpened, Spine/Choil Smoothed

Example - See above stock photos

2. Performance Package ($172 Value) = Blade Thinned & Etched for Appearance, Spine/Choil Rounded, Edge Sharpened

Example
proxy.php

3. Rehandle Plus Performance Package ($377 Value) = Custom Rehandle plus Performance Package

Examples
proxy.php

proxy.php

Details:

Blade Thinning the knife to the max makes it an even better performer than what it is when new. This service really shows the user what a knife is capable of being.

Blade etching is a chemical process that enhances the appearance of the blade by offering contrast between the high carbon core steel and the mild stainless steel cladding.

proxy.php

proxy.php

*Please note that each and every knife will yield a different result (appearance) from this process and that we cannot predict the outcome nor accept requests for a specific look. The knife will reveal whatever look was forged into it at the time it was made. Yes the thinning process does expose more core steel then the knife shows when stock, however, the look is not affected beyond that. Still, it’s worth noting that the 240mm & 270mm gyutos often show the wildest patterns.

Wood choice for handle scales will be our pick from our stock of fully stabilized woods. Please note at the time of purchase if you would prefer a light (natural) or darker type of wood, plain or more crazier looking, or even a color (dyed wood) might be possible. We want you to have a knife that is customized to your specs as much as possible yet it’s impossible to supply each customer a specific wood at a reasonable cost, even so, we’ll try our best to accommodate where we can.

Examples
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Handle pins will be either nickel silver or copper. Mosaic pins are available for an additional charge of $12 per knife.

Spine/Choil
options are smoothing or rounding. For “smoothing” we simply remove the sharp edges commonly found on the spine/choil of Japanese knives. For “rounding” we re-shape the spine/choil into a comfortable smooth and polished surface.

DONATION:
proxy.php
For each knife sold a $2 donation will be made to The National Breast Cancer Foundation in the name of Sue Moore

Knife Styles & Sizes Available/Pricing:
The prices shown below represent a savings from our regular service pricing.

190mm Santoku

1. Sharpening Pkg. - $134
2. Performance Pkg. - $219
3. Handle + Perf Pkg. - $399

210mm Gyuto

1. Sharpening Pkg. - $155
2. Performance Pkg. - $235
3. Handle + Perf Pkg. - $415

240mm Gyuto

1. Sharpening Pkg. - $181
2. Performance Pkg. - $252
3. Handle + Perf Pkg. - $432

270mm Gyuto
1. Sharpening Pkg. - $203
2. Performance Pkg. - $269
3. Handle + Perf Pkg. - $449

Shipping:
(Flat Rate for up to 2 knives)

CONUS - $15
International - $35

*Insurance not included

Delivery Time Estimate:
Pkg #2 & #3 = 8-12 weeks (for the first 10 orders), all others to follow.
Pkg. #1 = 4-6 weeks

*If you order knives from different packages then expect the longest delivery time for all knives as they will all be delivered at the same time.

**Please understand that this is custom work being performed that requires a lot of time to complete. We promise to deliver as soon as possible though, we like happy customers. :biggrin1:

To Place an Order:
Please PM me with your order including your email address, your location, & handle (wood) requests. I’ll follow by sending you a Paypal email invoice.

Thanks!
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Yowza! Some intriguing options. Now I just need a way to convince SWMBO to return the Roomba she just bought so I can get her one of these beauties!

Here is a photo of my Sugi that Dave did the Blade work on. Its a great cutter with that AS steel:

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone has any questions at all please feel free to ask away. I'll be checking in here often and I'm always happy to answer concerns.

Dave

Here's a Pm I just received, I thought I'd post it (name removed) because I'm sure others will wonder this as well.

What's the performance difference between the thinned knife and stock knife?

Good question. The stock Hiromoto AS knives are known to be well built, slightly thicker than some yet thinner than others. These knives have been for years, and remain still today, some of the most popular knives sought after. They do well even in the professional environment since the cladding of the knife is stainless which means less reactivity. When you combine the low upkeep of the stainless cladding with the toughness of the AS core steel you get a real workhorse. Why thin them if they work so well stock? Well some of us started playing around to see if we could get them to perform even better and we did by thinning them. The knife still retains all it's attributes I spoke of yet falls through food much better. We then go one step further and etch the thinned blade which makes for a less stickier surface, a less reactive surface, and a cool unique looking one of a kind blade.

Bottom line is that the stock Hiromoto AS knives kick butt as they are but they can be made into something even better and that something will blow the mind of even a seasoned kitchen knife knut.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I've been using a 240mm Hiromoto AS gyuto for about eight years, and it's a wonderful knife. Super sharp, easy to sharpen, very good edge retention, good weight and balance, unique looks- it's one of the best all around knives. It's really hard to name anything significantly better, and it's well priced.

Makes a nice tea pick, too.

Attachments

• $a.jpg
    $a.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,464
I just recently got a Hiromoto AS 160mm Santoku knife and have found it to be a great addition to my kitchen. I would love to get a Gyuto to keep it company but budgeting for a new house might keep me out.

Beautiful knives! Someday when I can trust the wife and kids wouldn't destroy the edge on it, I will have a set of these beauties. Seriously, you should see what my Henkles set looks like, it makes me sad.

The first order is in, thanks Connie! :001_smile

BTW folks, I plan to do the work and ship the knives out using the order that they were secured. First ordered will be first worked on and delivered.

Great looking stuff. My only concern is that once the edge needs to be touched up on the stones what happens to the chemically altered contrast between the core and cladding? I'm guessing it gets deleted and goes back to normal within one sharpening session?

Also, I may have missed it but do you have specs for thickness before and after thinning?

Great looking stuff. My only concern is that once the edge needs to be touched up on the stones what happens to the chemically altered contrast between the core and cladding? I'm guessing it gets deleted and goes back to normal within one sharpening session?

if those pics are of a sharpened blade, it looks like the edge is like a mm or 2 and the etching goes up at least 5-10x that and a single sharpening wouldn't go anywhere near the transition. you're not honing the blade flat against the hones are you?

Good question!

The dark black section seen running along the edge is the high carbon Aogami Super steel, it will remain as is through sharpening as long as you can hold the angle steady while doing the sharpening work. You'll notice that each etched knife shown in this thread has a shiny section running along the extreme cutting edge, this is from me sharpening the blade, which is the last thing I do before cleaning it up and the black etched core steel look still remains. So yes this could be a concern if you tend to wobble and wipe out the sides of knives while sharpening but otherwise the black etching is there to stay.

Also, I may have missed it but do you have specs for thickness before and after thinning?

No I'm sorry I've never measured with a micrometer the before and after. Even if I had though the before would always be different as the thicknesses are seen all over the place on these knives, especially the 240 & 270mm gyutos.

Top Bottom