What's new

Any Runners in the House?

I've never really been a big fan of running, but decided to get back into it about a year ago....albeit more for fitness and weight loss than as a hobby, but it has since become a hobby. I get bored without a goal, so have decided to do some 5k and 10k's this year. Ultimately, I think I'd like to work my way back to half-marathon shape and maybe do a Tough Mudder. In the mean time, I think I might be able to get a team together to do a Ragnar Relay this fall or next spring.

Has anyone done a Mudder, Spartan, or Ragnar? Feel free to share your experience.

For those not familiar, below are a few of the more common races, but there are tons more

http://www.ragnarrelay.com
http://toughmudder.com
http://www.spartanrace.com

I'm with you, I am not a huge fan but do it for fitness & health and a good feeling of accomplishment. It's always funny hearing people say "wow I couldnt do that, I am not a runner"...neither am I, but I put my runners on and go :)
I haven't done any of the races you mentioned, this year it is my wife & my goal to complete a marathon (bucket list item more than anything). Signing up for a couple races is good motivation, once you are committed and have a date, training becomes less of an option but a must if you want to cross the finish line. I'm not sure if you have a garmin/gps, but I find that makes running more interesting, watching your pace/HR etc.

Good luck with your races this year!

Last edited:
I'm a runner! Consider myself a middle distance guy - 10K, 15K, half-marathon. I'm too slow to be a decent 5K guy and don't have the patience for marathon training (although I have done one - ugh). I have two races coming up: a 5 miler on March 1 and the Gate River Run (15K) on March 15.

I will +1 the suggestion of a GPS watch. I resisted for a long time but finally bought a very basic Garmin and it's made a world of difference. I'd also suggest tracking your mileage. I simply use a Google spreadsheet with date, distance time, pace and notes. Ask your local running store if they know of any weekly group runs/running groups. It's a great way to meet people and stay motivated. I'm partial, as I met the LOML in our running group. :)

I've not done any of the races you mention but have a friend who did Ragnar Key West and loved it. Good luck, and let's keep this thread going!

I am quite an avid runner and I totally agree with getting a GPS watch. even if you are not obsessed with pace distance time etc....it is nice to see improvements and stuff like that. I just do 5km right now, but I was a long distance guy before doing Full marathons and half marathons.

I haven't done a tough mudder or spartan but have done a few team relays and they are my favorite type of race. You get to hang out with a bunch of runners and cheer on teammates etc...its a great atmosphere.

I like to always have a goal race. it definitely helps keep you focused and keeps you from skipping runs etc.

Glad to see some fellow runners on here. I love helping other runners out or giving advice when I can about running. Hopefully in a couple years after hip surgery I will be able to run The Boston Marathon again. it is truly the best running event there is!!

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I do not consider myself a runner because I don't particularly enjoy just running, but have done a few mud runs, but not a Tough Mudder. I enjoy the atmosphere, and the comradery at the events. One of the runs I enjoy the most is held by a W. PA ski resort twice a year, and is almost 8 miles and run on the slopes and mountain bike trail on the mountain. The first time we ran it there was 18" of snow from Hurricane Sandy, the next time it had been raining for 3 days strait. The most resent time was pretty tame by comparison.

Thanks for the replies. It's nice to see a few fellow runners...avid and hobby alike.

The Garmin GPS watch is actually what spurred my interest a year ago. I had been jogging and trying to exercise, but felt it boring. My wife got me the Garmin for Christmas of '12 and I love it. definitely helps to keep you motivated by geeking out on technology. I also agree that a target race is the only way to train. Without a goal, it's too easy to pass on a run day or got too easy. The 1.5 mile run required biannually for the Navy isn't enough motivator to keep me running. I'm tentatively trying to get a team together for either the October Ragnar-Tennessee or next season's February Ragnar-Key West.

If anyone needs motivation, maybe this can turn into a challenge/motivation thread to post runs and how your progress to your goal race or distance is coming along.

Runner here too, however Michigan is buried under snow and the temps haven't topped 15 degrees seemingly all winter, so I've been using that as an excuse not to get out. I've had to cut back on my craft brew drinking because I can't afford the calories.

I do a bit of running too. I used to do a lot of road running, but now my passion is on the trails. I've also started going a bit longer, which you'll see from my PBs below.

PBs:
10km: 41:09
Half mara: 1:37ish
Full mara: 3:27
50km trail ultra: 6:01.02
100km trail ultra: 11:11:10

Keep up the training folks!

Those are some fantastic PBs froogle_jimmy! And Chris, I admire your ability to do ultras. Really impressive.

Did 5.37 miles tonight. Most of that was two loops of a pair of bridges that go over the St. John's River. The bridges substitute for hills in Florida. :)

I used to run - I ran the Marine Corps Marathon twice. Hit the wall at Mile 13 for #1, and didn't for #2. Too bad #2 was slower, and I lost to Oprah by 15 minutes.

Nothing recently, although I did get up to a few miles jogging last summer. I'm a recent convert to the "hybrid minimalist shoes" for not getting knee pain when I run. Brooks PureConnect works darn well for me . . .

Thanks for the replies. It's nice to see a few fellow runners...avid and hobby alike.

The Garmin GPS watch is actually what spurred my interest a year ago. I had been jogging and trying to exercise, but felt it boring. My wife got me the Garmin for Christmas of '12 and I love it. definitely helps to keep you motivated by geeking out on technology. I also agree that a target race is the only way to train. Without a goal, it's too easy to pass on a run day or got too easy. The 1.5 mile run required biannually for the Navy isn't enough motivator to keep me running. I'm tentatively trying to get a team together for either the October Ragnar-Tennessee or next season's February Ragnar-Key West.

If anyone needs motivation, maybe this can turn into a challenge/motivation thread to post runs and how your progress to your goal race or distance is coming along.

Great idea. Once I figure out which marathon we are going to do I will post the details & goal time. We are hoping to do one in Sanfran in Sept but registration hasnt opened which has us wondering if it isnt going to happen or if its just delayed.

If anyone has any suggestions for a good "weekend getaway" marathon somewhere in the US I am all ears!

Those are some fantastic PBs froogle_jimmy! And Chris, I admire your ability to do ultras. Really impressive.

Did 5.37 miles tonight. Most of that was two loops of a pair of bridges that go over the St. John's River. The bridges substitute for hills in Florida. :)

The ultras are a lot more achievable than you might think ... A bit of training and a slow steady pace gets them done!

Good work on the hill work - that's great for your running.

Chris - Even marathon training felt like it consumed my life; I can't imagine what training for an ultra is like. Maybe when I am at a point in my life where I can dedicate more time... We do the "bridge loops" once a week and often incorporate a pass into our weekly long run.

Teppanyaki - The Brooks Pure shoes are great. I wore out two pair of them. Now I am wearing the Saucony Kinvara, which has the same drop but offers more stability. YMMV, of course. And congratulations on the marathon finishes!

Great idea. Once I figure out which marathon we are going to do I will post the details & goal time. We are hoping to do one in Sanfran in Sept but registration hasnt opened which has us wondering if it isnt going to happen or if its just delayed.

If anyone has any suggestions for a good "weekend getaway" marathon somewhere in the US I am all ears!

I have heard great things about the Wineglass marathon in Corning NY. Beautiful Scenery and a pretty flat course. Not to mention the Medals look incredible. If you decide to venture up into Ontario I ran the Prince Edward county Marathon and loved it. Flat/rolling course....not alot of runners so you can focus and really enjoy the scenery and your run. Let us know when you pick a race.
here is a link to the race http://www.wineglassmarathon.com/

"If anyone needs motivation, maybe this can turn into a challenge/motivation thread to post runs and how your progress to your goal race or distance is coming along."
I love the idea about making this a motivation thread as well. Especially in the winter time I know how hard it can be to get out the door. But they say the first step is always the hardest.

Another idea is that I know as a runner I love my gear and especially shoes....perhaps some pics are in order. I love seeing what kind of shoes people are wearing. Currently I alternate between A pair of Newton Distance(incredible shoes and worth a try, but are $$) and a pair of Nike Lunar racers which I have had for like 5 years but I absolutely love for short distances as they are pretty much weightless.

Already this thread is getting me excited to run more. if there are any East coast runners it would be cool to meet up at a race!!

I got into distance running 3 years ago to run a half marathon just to say I did...I've since gotten hooked...I don't run many races...focusing mostly on half marathons. I really need to get another 5k, 5mi and 10 miler race under my belt as its been a while for the shorter/mid distance races. I've had workout runs that have beaten my PR's for those races since then.:wink2:

My last goal was to break 1:30 in the half, my next goal is Boston qualifying for the full. Once I do that I think I'll be able just to run more for enjoyment and relax a bit.

5k 19:55---2012
5mi 33:49---2012
10mi 1:11:31---2011
Half 1:28:37---2013
Full 3:25:28---2013

I'm hoping to qualify as a 40-44 age either this spring or in the fall...fingers crossed and legs pumping...

Top Bottom