What's new

Any Runners in the House?

I'm supposed to run a 4.5 mile race on July 4th and I'm considering not doing it. I think it may be in the 70s during the race with 85-90% humidity. If that's the case, there's no real point in me doing it as I'm just running it to check my fitness.

Yesterday was brutal. I figured I would wait until later in the evening to run, since it's been hot (low to mid 90s). A passing thunderstorm rolled by just as I was ready to hit the road. Turns out it wasn't cool rain, just hot mist. :lol: Basically, I got cooked in my own juices.

Yesterday was brutal. I figured I would wait until later in the evening to run, since it's been hot (low to mid 90s). A passing thunderstorm rolled by just as I was ready to hit the road. Turns out it wasn't cool rain, just hot mist. :lol: Basically, I got cooked in my own juices.

Blerch...sounds awful!

Regularly placed in my age groups in road runs until I hurt my foot. Now I'm jogging slow and needing a kick in the pants. :tongue_sm

Regularly placed in my age groups in road runs until I hurt my foot. Now I'm jogging slow and needing a kick in the pants. :tongue_sm

Welcome to the thread! Glad you have healed up from injury. I think the summer is tough for everyone. Too hot and too many other distractions. We'll keep encouraging each other and get back on track.

Todays run with my daughter on her bike.
i am concentrating on running with a longer stride as ive noticed im taking too many pigeon steps instead of actaully running.

I consider my time acceptable if you take into account the hot weather ( and last nghts beer consumption).

if i can offer any new runners some advice it would be.

a. Buy good shoes ( not specifically expensive shoes, but good shoes)
b. Dont run the same route in the same direction on the same side of the street. Roads and pavements are normally never level, after time youll adapt your body and running style to a specific 'slant' . This is a no-no. Variety my friends, is what its all about.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 45
I ran a 5K yesterday with a goal of hitting 9:45 minute pace. Beat it by a second! 30:13.45 was my chip time. I didn't feel like I was going fast enough for that, but was glad to hit it. That's 22 seconds off my last 5K pace, which was about 4 weeks ago.

I've signed up for a 10K this Saturday.

Can't wait to get back to the States...been on a two week hiatus and it's been killing me. Need to hit the road this weekend and get back in the groove

I'm in a running funk. The heat wave we had a couple weeks ago took any desire to run out of me. It's cooled off (relatively speaking, it's still in the 90's every day with high humidity) but I still have little desire to run. Doing about 10-15 miles a week.

Told myself I would start getting up early to run, but that hasn't happened. Guess I need to set the alarm and make myself get up and out. Any other ideas to break out of my funk?

I'm in a running funk. The heat wave we had a couple weeks ago took any desire to run out of me. It's cooled off (relatively speaking, it's still in the 90's every day with high humidity) but I still have little desire to run. Doing about 10-15 miles a week.

Told myself I would start getting up early to run, but that hasn't happened. Guess I need to set the alarm and make myself get up and out. Any other ideas to break out of my funk?

Beats me. I'm still waiting to get "acclimated" to the heat.

Ran 1.5 today to see where I am for my PT test on the 30th. I was hoping to be sub-13; I ended up at 11:50. Hopefully I can get that to sub-11:30 or better by the time my test gets here. One thing that I'll have going for me is the test is at 0500 so hopefully it won't be quite as hot as it was at 0730 when I ran this morning. The heat and humidity is a killer here in the panhandle of FL.

Last edited:
Been stepping up my game lately in regards to distance.

Ran ~4 miles the other day in around 24 minutes. Not an exact time but that's about how long the songs were that elapsed on my iPod! ha!

Ran my first 10K today. Not pace I was hoping for but considering the hills and the humidity, I'm very happy with my 10:27 pace. Granted, I did stop for a few seconds to dance at one of the bands planing along the course, and I'd run from side to side of the road to high-five the little kids that were there so it could have been a bit quicker, but not much. One of the high lights for me was running for a block with an 89 year old World War II vet. I felt very small in his presence. I was very glad to be at the finish line to cheer him on when he crossed.

I have another 10K in two weeks on what I think will be a flatter course. I'm very eager to see how I'll do compared to today.

Happy 4th of July, fellow Americans!

I got out a couple times last week and will do the same this week. I have a couple OK loops that I can do from the office, so its just a matter of carving out time and getting to the locker room.

Top Bottom