What's new

Any Runners in the House?

Your easy pace would be a PR for me...:bored:

Don't worry, you will get there! :thumbup1: A few months ago I would have been pushing to get that pace but now it's pretty easy but I lost a lot of weight at the same time and that really helped. It's been mostly through the support I've received here that allowed me to push myself to that level. :001_smile

Whew! That was a cold (for Florida) run. 40 degrees with the wind making it feel like 35. But I got 6 miles in and feel back to normal.

Ok, I guess I "officially" have a knee issue. I ran a 10k in Philadelphia Saturday morning and started having knee pain in my left knee from about mile 4 on. Got through it, but it wasn't right for the rest of the day. My wife and I went for cheesesteaks and wandered around the Italian Market for a while afterward and I couldn't walk without pain by the time we got back to the car. By the time we got back to Delaware, it was really giving me trouble.

This is the same issue that I had after running my half marathon last month, but this is the first time it has come on while I was in the midst of a run. I have only run more than 3 miles or so once since then though, which was a practice 10k last weekend. Feeling really frustrated and discouraged at this point, and I suspect an IT-band issue. I have an unrelated Dr. appointment tomorrow afternoon so I am going to ask about it then and see what she thinks. I don't like to self diagnose, but it sure seems like that could be the problem.

10k time was 54:48, which was not where I wanted to be, but it was a fun event. Rocky Balboa 5k & 10k at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. My wife ran the 5k and I ran the 10k, along with about 7,000 of our closest friends on a FRIGID Saturday morning.

So when is your half?
December 7, the Reindeer Run Half Marathon.
Ok, I guess I "officially" have a knee issue. I ran a 10k in Philadelphia Saturday morning and started having knee pain in my left knee from about mile 4 on. Got through it, but it wasn't right for the rest of the day. My wife and I went for cheesesteaks and wandered around the Italian Market for a while afterward and I couldn't walk without pain by the time we got back to the car. By the time we got back to Delaware, it was really giving me trouble.

This is the same issue that I had after running my half marathon last month, but this is the first time it has come on while I was in the midst of a run. I have only run more than 3 miles or so once since then though, which was a practice 10k last weekend. Feeling really frustrated and discouraged at this point, and I suspect an IT-band issue. I have an unrelated Dr. appointment tomorrow afternoon so I am going to ask about it then and see what she thinks. I don't like to self diagnose, but it sure seems like that could be the problem.

10k time was 54:48, which was not where I wanted to be, but it was a fun event. Rocky Balboa 5k & 10k at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. My wife ran the 5k and I ran the 10k, along with about 7,000 of our closest friends on a FRIGID Saturday morning.
Yikes, this doesn't sound good. Please let us know what your doctor says.

I'll chime in, started running again about 3 years ago. (43 now) 3 5ks the first year and my legs and feet were dying!

Mixed in a 10k last year which sounded like forever but made it, and to push myself signed up for a half marathon this year with the same mix of other 'races'. I don't consider them races as I am not fast, more like things to push myself to complete.

After a nice double hernia surgery in April I got back on the stick and completed the half November 9th. Everything hurt like hell at the end but it was cool to do, and will probably start training to complete a couple of halfs next year along with a few more shorter jaunts.

Nice to read everyone's stories. I'll probably never be a seven minute or less mile distance guy, but if i can get it down to eight with proper training I will be pretty happy.

I'll chime in, started running again about 3 years ago. (43 now) 3 5ks the first year and my legs and feet were dying!

Mixed in a 10k last year which sounded like forever but made it, and to push myself signed up for a half marathon this year with the same mix of other 'races'. I don't consider them races as I am not fast, more like things to push myself to complete.

After a nice double hernia surgery in April I got back on the stick and completed the half November 9th. Everything hurt like hell at the end but it was cool to do, and will probably start training to complete a couple of halfs next year along with a few more shorter jaunts.

Nice to read everyone's stories. I'll probably never be a seven minute or less mile distance guy, but if i can get it down to eight with proper training I will be pretty happy.

Welcome, Jeff! Glad to have you here. What was your time for the half?

Yikes, this doesn't sound good. Please let us know what your doctor says.

Runner's knee and/or IT-band. She didn't feel anything structurally wrong in the knee so that is good. She wants me to limit my runs to no more than 5 miles and go through some physical therapy sessions to evaluate my running from and knee movement.

Last edited:
I run mostly because I'm in the military, that's not to say I hate running though. I ran cross country in high school, that was a good few years ago though, and I wouldn't mind getting back into doing 5k fun runs.

Having said all that, I have stress fractures in both of my tibias. I just got my bone scan results back and have an appointment to see my PCM in a couple of weeks. What's the usual healing time on this type of injury? I've read anywhere from 4 weeks to a year. I don't have a lot of confidence in my PCM, would you think it a good idea to request a referral to a podiatrist?

Thanks!

Anybody doing a turkey trot this thanksgiving? The one where Im at is 5 miles. Hoping to have it under 40 minutes. Been doing a lot of 5ks this week around ~25 minutes. Loving this weather lately.

Anybody doing a turkey trot this thanksgiving? The one where Im at is 5 miles. Hoping to have it under 40 minutes. Been doing a lot of 5ks this week around ~25 minutes. Loving this weather lately.
4 of us are doing one in Winston-Salem, NC on Thanksgiving morning; 5k for a little extra calorie cushion on turkey and bourbon day.

The whole family and the visiting relatives are doing a 5K run or 2 mile walk. 8 of us aged 6 thru 55.

Doing a Turkey Trot 5k in Ft.Rucker Alabama on Nov. 22. Shooting for sub 27:00. Overall winner wins a turkey.

Congrats on your 10Ks and sorry to hear about your knee. I hope it heals quickly!

Sounds like you have really come back from adversity and that's a true victory, welcome!:thumbup1:

Doc says no more than 5 miles per run, closer to 3 is better. Knee needs rest, but seems to be otherwise ok.

I get to start physical therapy next week. Yay, me.

And yes, I damn sure am still running a 5k on Thanksgiving morning, and I WILL be trying to get under 25:06, my current PR. I am not a very good patient. :taz:

Last edited:
Top Bottom