What's new

Any Runners in the House?

Thanks for the feedback/input guys.

I'm 33/yo, and in relatively decent shape (5'9", ~180lbs), but haven't been very active in recent months.

Timmy, to answer your question, I'm confident I could have done more distance with more walk/breathe breaks. I felt limited largely by my lungs, and to a lesser extent, my legs.

A nice benefit for training purposes is that both the 5k & 10k routes directly pass my home. I'm about 1.5km from the start/finish line. Ample opportunity to run/practice the actual race route. The five km is almost entirely flat, while the ten incorporates a relatively steep hill (up and back down) that is probably 3/4km each way. I suspect that once I've started to get my lungs/legs about me, I'll benefit greatly by pushing myself on that hill.

Stay tuned. I'm going to hit the gym tonight (raining) for some light/moderate cardio, and will probably pick the running back up tomorrow or Thursday.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Remember guys...running is a state of mind as much as body. For those of you who tend to think runners are all like Steve Prefontaine, I challenge you to read some of John Bingham aka the Penguin's work.

Whether you waddle like a penguin or sprint like the Flash...you are all runners!

New to B&B and this thread has sucked me in!

First, I am not a runner by any means. Okay, maybe 7 years ago I may have been, but since then, I haven't done any "running" consistently. Sure, I go for jogs every once in a while, but I have never done any kind of competitive running. Having said all that, over the past year, I have jogged (run/walk) on and off pretty much every month, but would never develop any consistency in my runs. I would go a couple weeks running 3-4 days and then something would come up and I would go 2-3 weeks with no runs at all.
Now, to the current. I have been jogging/running for the past 3 weeks, 4 days a week 3-4 miles a day. I am doing it for multiple reasons, but mainly to lose weight. My goals as of now do not include any types of competitive events, although I am highly competitive. For now, I am content with trying to best my on times at least once a week. I run somewhere in the range of a 9:30-10:00 mile at best.

I see most of this thread is based on competitive running, however, any basic advice on how to improve and stay motivated will be appreciated. I keep up with my times through an app and post them to a spreadsheet right now. Also, I have been going M-Th then off Friday and the weekend. This is something I want to avoid, as I'd prefer 5 days on, 2 off. Working into a schedule is the biggest problem for now.

First, I am not a runner by any means. Okay, maybe 7 years ago I may have been, but since then, I haven't done any "running" consistently. Sure, I go for jogs every once in a while, but I have never done any kind of competitive running. Having said all that, over the past year, I have jogged (run/walk) on and off pretty much every month, but would never develop any consistency in my runs. I would go a couple weeks running 3-4 days and then something would come up and I would go 2-3 weeks with no runs at all.
Now, to the current. I have been jogging/running for the past 3 weeks, 4 days a week 3-4 miles a day. I am doing it for multiple reasons, but mainly to lose weight. My goals as of now do not include any types of competitive events, although I am highly competitive. For now, I am content with trying to best my on times at least once a week. I run somewhere in the range of a 9:30-10:00 mile at best.

I see most of this thread is based on competitive running, however, any basic advice on how to improve and stay motivated will be appreciated. I keep up with my times through an app and post them to a spreadsheet right now. Also, I have been going M-Th then off Friday and the weekend. This is something I want to avoid, as I'd prefer 5 days on, 2 off. Working into a schedule is the biggest problem for now.

Welcome to our little corner of B&B! You definitely sound like a runner - see the post above you. :)

The easiest way to stay motivated is to sign up for a race! Nothing like putting that on your calendar to get you out the door. Find a local 5K a couple of months from now and sign up. Don't worry about how you are going to do, just get enjoy the atmosphere. While you won't be first, you most certainly won't be last.

You're routine isn't bad. Think about spreading your runs out a bit. I'm not a fan of having three days in a row off. You could try Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday.

Glad to have you here!

Any advice on any (free) videos for Yoga for Runners? I need to work on my flexibility. I rarely if ever stretch. I know that's not good.
My wife put me on to this video when I started my tri training. It's great for tight hips post-bike and post-run. It's really only focused on stretching--doesn't have anything to do with yoga/breathing other than similar stretching poses. The producers of these videos and website cater to a female audience, but this particular routine is gender neutral.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're routine isn't bad. Think about spreading your runs out a bit. I'm not a fan of having three days in a row off. You could try Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday.

Glad to have you here!

I am not a fan of it either, but it was the easiest routine to get started with. I think I am going to try on 5 off two this week and see how it goes. I find the hardest run for me is the first one after a day or two off. I honestly feel better the more consecutive days I run. Weird, but it's true.

As far as a race, there may be a few "for fun" type of 5k's in my area that I could sign up for, but I'd like to at least be below 30 minutes before I sign up for one. That, I guess, is what I am working towards right now.

You guys post 5k PB of 19-20 minutes...hats off, that's really impressive.

I'm not a competitive runner by any means. I've done the odd race with the family, but I don't train for anything other than getting in better shape. The competitive guys in this thread are great, so don't hesitate to participate.

Why are you so set on five days a week? Four days ain't a bad way to start...get a good couple of months in on four days then see if you can squeak a short five in there..go gradual as you don't know how your body will react to increased mileage/days after so long away from running...

Why are you so set on five days a week? Four days ain't a bad way to start...get a good couple of months in on four days then see if you can squeak a short five in there..go gradual as you don't know how your body will react to increased mileage/days after so long away from running...

I don't know that I am set on 5 days a week and right now I am only doing 4 days. The problem for me is that I am going 4 days straight, off 3. I don't like that. The first day back is a struggle, heavy legs and they give out quicker. So, I am thinking 5 days a week with a break in the middle would help eliminate that 3 day break which I don't like. The hardest days for me to run on are Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. That's why I am trying to make sure I get at least 4 days in during the week M-Th. Hopefully I can work out a better schedule going forward. I, admittedly, have a lot to learn and what's best for me. That's why I posted. The suggestions are great and I will keep them all in mind going forward for sure.

Just an update, I've created a loose weekly schedule for myself, that will have me running three days a week, doing light cardio in the gym twice, doing some cross-training/lifting once (mostly upper body/core to rest my legs), and one full rest day each week. Runs will be on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, with Sunday being my long run, and Monday being my full rest day.

My 5k/10k are six weeks from this upcoming weekend, and my run schedule will have me hitting a max distance of 12k the weekend before the race(s).

Sound relatively reasonable?

Just an update, I've created a loose weekly schedule for myself, that will have me running three days a week, doing light cardio in the gym twice, doing some cross-training/lifting once (mostly upper body/core to rest my legs), and one full rest day each week. Runs will be on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, with Sunday being my long run, and Monday being my full rest day.

My 5k/10k are six weeks from this upcoming weekend, and my run schedule will have me hitting a max distance of 12k the weekend before the race(s).

Sound relatively reasonable?

Don't worry about doing additional cardio. Just do cross-training/lifting twice a week.

Don't worry about doing additional cardio. Just do cross-training/lifting twice a week.
+1. Cross training is a great way to give your training a boost while giving your legs a break at the same time. As a suggestion, you might want to label one of your training days as a "flex" day. Do the run if you feel fine, but use it as a rest day if you're feeling especially tired or sore. Play it by ear and don't be afraid to pull the plug on one of your races if you start to get worn down. Heavy training schedules, especially when you're just building your base, can increase your risk of injury. About four years ago I developed severe sciatica due to overtraining (and inadequate stretching). Not only did I miss my half, it also took 8 months of rest and rehab before I could run again. Listen to your legs.

4k in 24:17 this evening. A LOT (6 or 7) of short (30 second) walking breaks mixed into my run. My lungs are definitely my weak spot right now.

Any tips/suggestions for breathing? I find I get to the point of almost panting and need to slow to catch my breath.

If I'm cluttering this thread with my training/progress, feel free to tell me to knock it off!

4k in 24:17 this evening. A LOT (6 or 7) of short (30 second) walking breaks mixed into my run. My lungs are definitely my weak spot right now.

Any tips/suggestions for breathing? I find I get to the point of almost panting and need to slow to catch my breath.

If I'm cluttering this thread with my training/progress, feel free to tell me to knock it off!

The one thing that helped me control my breathing was leaving my headphones at home. Running without music has allowed me to listen to my body much better. I don't think I'll ever plug in on a run again!
Another thing is to try to slow your breathing over 4-5 strides. Once you get into a rhythm i=you no longer have to think about it, it just becomes a habit.
Best of luck, pal!

That's a 6:04 pace. You're having trouble breathing because you are running too fast. You don't need to go that fast when you are building your base. You should be able to hold a conversation while running.

Life cluttered up my marathon training, so I did a 5 mile tempo run last night and dragged myself out into the muggy Florida morning for 5 easy miles. If anyone needs me I will be in an ice bath, hooked up to an IV. :)

So you're telling me I need to slow the heck down? I seem to naturally fall into the 5:45-6:00 range when running. Next time I run, I'll try and slow myself a bit to see if that helps. Thanks for the feedback!

So you're telling me I need to slow the heck down? I seem to naturally fall into the 5:45-6:00 range when running. Next time I run, I'll try and slow myself a bit to see if that helps. Thanks for the feedback!

It's entirely possible that my miles-to-kilometers calculations are wrong, but that pace seems to match up with your 5K finish time. That tells me you are out for you run at "race pace". Not all runs should be done as fast as you can. That's a sure way to burn out or get hurt. Check out the McMillan running calculator to find your easy, tempo and long run pace.

Top Bottom