What's new

Any Runners in the House?

Black flies... Yuck.

I got up early (well, early for me) to do 4 mi. It was much more bearable heat-wise. I'm not a morning person, so I've mostly been running in the evenings after work. Might have to switch it up.

Just my 2 cents, but nothing wrong with just doing a half marathon. You'd have a better time and it's still a long enough race that you have the joy of accomplishing the distance. I know both Mr. Speedy and myself focus more on that distance than the full. Regardless, good luck!!!

+1! Training for a full marathon consumes your life. For me, the half-marathon is the perfect marriage of endurance and speed.

18+ miles of mostly off road this week, including one mountain run with about 1900' of gain. Amazing what you can accomplish when you don't have to work.

Good to hear. Glad you're hitting the trails. I love trail running, wish I could do more of it. Such a different feeling that roads. Great change of pace.

That's awesome, Pat.

I love trail running (I was spoiled growing up in the Pacific NW). I should make an effort to find something non-paved near me, all my running these days is on asphalt.

Sydney City2Surf - 14Km, 100m elevation, 63 minutes - ran in open category, and had to fight through a lot of people. Happy with the result!

Great run! Especially with having to pass people. That's a double edged sword for me, obviously it slows you down which is bad, but it makes you feel like you're so fast as you fly by people in the opening mile.

I know it's still August, but I'm thinking ahead to my first winter of running. For those of you who live where it drops below zero in the winter, is there any particular clothing your recommend? I'm particularly interested in socks and shoes since I think I have a good idea what else I need, but feel free to recommend any winter-specific items.

I

Anybody here use Nike+ to track their runs?

Should we share our Nike+ names to keep tabs on one another/compete/stay motivated/see how truly pitiful we are?

I know it's still August, but I'm thinking ahead to my first winter of running. For those of you who live where it drops below zero in the winter, is there any particular clothing your recommend? I'm particularly interested in socks and shoes since I think I have a good idea what else I need, but feel free to recommend any winter-specific items.

I
We've had 2 brutal winters here on ohio back to back with several sub zero runs. I don't do anything special for my feet. 2 pair of socks is it. If it's snow and ice covered roads I'll use my yaktrax.

I use a Sugoi balaclava hood in low teens or less. Below zero I use a face(from nose down) cover that completely ices up but is loose enough to breathe and as I exhale it forces the warm air up to my cheeks and eyes which keeps me plenty warm.

Anybody here use Nike+ to track their runs?

Should we share our Nike+ names to keep tabs on one another/compete/stay motivated/see how truly pitiful we are?
I have a Garmin and load my workouts onto runningahead.com

It's the best running log site I've looked at

We've had 2 brutal winters here on ohio back to back with several sub zero runs. I don't do anything special for my feet. 2 pair of socks is it. If it's snow and ice covered roads I'll use my yaktrax.

I use a Sugoi balaclava hood in low teens or less. Below zero I use a face(from nose down) cover that completely ices up but is loose enough to breathe and as I exhale it forces the warm air up to my cheeks and eyes which keeps me plenty warm.
For reference, my winter running is in the 15-30°F range typically, with a handful of excursions down into the single digits. I'm also riding my bicycle in the winter and many of the gear recommendations transfer over. If it's below zero, I'm probably not going out.

There are some shoes available that are designed more for winter running and foul weather. They'll be designed to be at least water resistant if not waterproof. If you splash in a puddle or have snow on your shoe it's not going to soak your feet with cold water. There's not a lot you can do if you submerge your foot though and you definitely dont want wet feet. Good socks are key and I personally like a thick wool sock (defeet Woolie Boolie is my favorite) when it's cold and/or wet.

Up top, a balaclava will usually be acceptible when temps are well below freezing. Something more could be in order in the single digits and below... that will be something you'll have to decide for yourself. I've used a balaclava (the sugoi mentioned above, actually), various beanies, and smartwool neck gaiters over my face with success though i usually end up pulling the gaiter down. In lieu of gloves, I usually pull my sleeves over my hands when it's cold. if it's extremely cold, I'll wear some light weight gloves. If you need a more serious winter glove, XC ski racing gloves (Toko brand are a favorite in my house) are usually a solid choice that doesnt get much bandwith in the recommendations.

For legs, you'll want to get some quality tights and possibly double up with a breathable track pant - not windpants(unless its super windy). Tights are available in various thicknesses and I've got some pretty burly ones that were good on their own, well below freezing. You might also consider some embrocation creams used by cyclists... they're pretty remarkable.

For your core, its more managing your body heat and moisture than it is trying to stay warm. You'll be layered, and its really easy to overheat. Once you over heat, you're sweating. If you're sweating, you're wet. Wet and cold are not good when it's extremely cold. You'll want some sort of base layer, be it tech fabric or wool. I find that a baselayer, a warm tech shirt and a vest do very well in colder temps. The vest allows breathability, which is key to staying warm. I'll use a jacket regularly on the bike, but I find that I overheat quickly if I run in a jacket. I generally want to be cold starting out and warm up as I start running. It can take a while to figure out the combinations that work for you.

Your shopping list for winter running should be something like this:
headgear; beanie
extremities; lightweight gloves, wool socks of various thicknesses/warmths, possibly a water resitant/water proof pair of shoes
core; baselayer, a couple LS shirts of various thickness, a convertible jacket (sleeves detach so it doubles as a vest)
legs; tights, running pants.

For extremes; you might want to add face coverage and warmer gloves. Ski socks are good too... I've found (on the bike) that if I wear a higher sock that covers up to my knees, my feet are warmer.

That should cover you for most situations and you can augment the list better as you learn how you get on with your running in the cold. Everybody is different, so it will take some time out there for yourself to figure out what you're comfort levels are and what gear might work for you.

One final note: Do not wear cotton. It absorbs moisture and aside from being uncomfortable in general, it will get you colder, faster. Everything you buy for cold weather athletics should be some sort of fabric that wicks moisture away from your body.

Some great winter recommendations, thanks!

One idea I had was that until I get enough winter running experience to know what I need to wear for given conditions, is to do several shorter loops instead of one long loop. This will allow me to add or subtract clothing or layers as I need without having to carry everything I take off. I'll also be keeping notes on each run with weather conditions and what worked.

One thing I read for shoes is to use an older pair and put duct tape on the uppers to act as a makeshift water repellent and wind blocker. By this winter my Glycerins should be nearing 300 miles so I'll may try that.

I had thought I would hate tights so I bought a couple pair of running pants. Not loose like sweats, but not tight either. Since then I also bought a pair of compression shorts on a whim, thinking I'd hate them, and they've turned out to be my favorite running shorts, though I still won't wear them around my neighborhood or on busy roads. Now I think I'll actually prefer tights in the winter.

Of the two models of running socks I use...FitSok & DryMax, DryMax is my favorite by a hair so I'll likely try their cold weather socks.

I'm actually looking forward to winter running.

Some great winter recommendations, thanks!

One idea I had was that until I get enough winter running experience to know what I need to wear for given conditions, is to do several shorter loops instead of one long loop. This will allow me to add or subtract clothing or layers as I need without having to carry everything I take off. I'll also be keeping notes on each run with weather conditions and what worked.

One thing I read for shoes is to use an older pair and put duct tape on the uppers to act as a makeshift water repellent and wind blocker. By this winter my Glycerins should be nearing 300 miles so I'll may try that.

I had thought I would hate tights so I bought a couple pair of running pants. Not loose like sweats, but not tight either. Since then I also bought a pair of compression shorts on a whim, thinking I'd hate them, and they've turned out to be my favorite running shorts, though I still won't wear them around my neighborhood or on busy roads. Now I think I'll actually prefer tights in the winter.

Of the two models of running socks I use...FitSok & DryMax, DryMax is my favorite by a hair so I'll likely try their cold weather socks.

I'm actually looking forward to winter running.

Good stuff... sounds like you're well on your way to figuring out what works for you. short loops where you can drop/add gear is a great idea. Many times, I'll shed a layer, gloves, hat, and toss it on the side of the road to come back and get it later.

This reminds me that the one place i've used cotton is in my gloves. Sometimes you'll get a pair of super cheap, ill fitting gloves at registration for fall or winter races. or your running store might sell them for a buck or two. These are perfect for the runs or races where its just cold enough to start with gloves but you know you'll end up shedding them during the run. No harm done if you pitch the cheapies on the side of the road and they're not there when you come back.

A friend who lives in New Hampshire has done this, says it works great.

I've also heard that if you need extra grip to drill screws into your shoes. You take out the liner, drill several in, and replace the liner. You may have to research what size screw work best.

Last edited:
A friend who lives in New Hampshire has done this, says it works great.

I've also heard that if you need extra grip to drill screws into your shoes. You take out the liner, drill several in, and replace the liner. You may have to research what size screw work best.

I've known people who have done this with mountain bike tires but never heard or thought of it for shoes... It's not a bad idea and would work pretty well on ice. Might take some experimentation with different length screws and they might suck on clear pavement. I would want some sort of "rigid" barrier between the screw heads and my insole to protect the bottom of my foot. I'd definitely conduct this experiment on a beat up old pair of shoes. Also, make sure that your shoe's cushioning system would not be compromised by puncturing it - Nike Air, wouldnt do so well with a few holes through it id bet. Brooks used to have "hydroflow," which was a liquid. Keep the screws away from the inside edge... I could see them catching on your pants and/or calf muscles.

Somebody is marketing studded running shoes now. They had a stand at a few local trail races this season. I dont recall the brand, nor did I stop to check them out but I would imagine that they're similar to cross county racing spikes. Unfortunately, there's not a huge market for stuff like that, so I doubt we'll see any of the big players pushing product development.

Top Bottom