What's new

Any Runners in the House?

I haven't gotten a GPS watch yet, but I probably will. I do prefer to have as little equipment/clothing as possible - I'd run naked except for a pair of Hokas(!) if no one was around. I do see the sense of getting a Garmin if I seriously pursue the Boston goal though.

I've run on and off throughout my adult (post 30-year-old) life. But the past year is the first time I can honestly say I am a runner. Not because of times or accomplishments, but because I actually love it now.

I get outside for a few hours, I get to spend time doing something that requires a little thought and a little effort, but that is almost entirely pleasurable. No phone, no worries, lots of time to think things out with an oxygen depleted brain so nothing gets too complex mentally. It has the added benefit that everyone else thinks you are suffering and doing a good thing. Folks really encourage you.

I never had the patience to really enjoy it when I was younger.

I started last year having not run in 5 years or so and worked my way up to a 50k. I'll probably back off the distance a bit. But my goal is to get faster this year and to qualify for Boston in the next two years. If I don't get there, that's OK too. I'm just loving running for running's sake.

That's what it's really all about. Running brings so much to one's life.

Well put Dondoh. Its a lot about being outside away from everything for me. PRs and race and age group wins are just numbers. If you have fun and get some excersice out of it its a win win

a pair of Hokas(!) i.

How do you like those? I tend to go towards the minimalist side. I'm a natural forefoot/midfoot striker. But I've heard the Hoka's have a low heel to toe drop (like the minimalist stuff) but with a ton of cushion. Most of the people I've read about using Hoka's are ultra guys, do they only lend themselves to those distances. I don't race further than Half's.

I completely love the Hokas. I was running in 15mm drop Nikes and as my form improved I found it harder and harder to run correctly in them. So I bought some Merrills and some Altras. I loved both, but they didn't love me. I tried to ease in very gradually, but I had a lot of foot injuries. I found the Hokas and have had very few joint/tendon issues since. The first time I tried them on and ran 100 yards I started laughing. They felt that good to me.

Shoes are a huge YMMV. BUt the 4-6mm drop on the Hokas (I bought 3 more pair when they closed out last year's models so I'd have enough for this year) is great for me and I LOVE the cushion.

I often see folks say that Hokas are for Ultras, in fact that is where I heard about them. I was training to go to a Team RWB trail running camp in Texas and saw someone mention them on the camp facebook page. But I run in them 5 days a week. Any distance, any conditions. There is a bit of Hoka hate out there too, but I don't care if I look like I'm wearing shoes that Elton John rejected in the 70s as too high and clunky... My legs, joints and tendons love 'em. And I'm getting faster with better form with lower perceived effort in them.

Also, I didn't mean to disparage PRs and goals. I love PRs and such. We have to keep motivated.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement Jimmy and Timmy.

Last edited:
And if you are in the market to try 'em. Running warehouse has them for 95 bucks with a coupon code FB15D

Look in the "Liquidation shoes" section. Most models only have a few sizes left, but it appears they just got a new batch of hideously blue Bondi Bs in and have a lot of sizes. I have a pair of the Bondis and they are nice. Some complain that the tread wears too quickly on them though. I'm currently rotating between the Bondis and Stinson trail shoes. I also have Stinson road shoes and Mafate trail shoes. All are similar in feel except the Mafates which feel HUGE and clunky, but I still like 'em. When my current two wear out mid-yearish I'll shift to the Mafate/StinsonRoad combo.

Just thought I would mention this as the price of Hokas was a huge barrier for me. So a sale is good...
(I've also been told that RUnning Warehouse has a pretty spectacular return policy thought I've not had to use it so far)

Added link as an edit:
Here is a link to the blue hideousness in question....
http://www.runningwarehouse.com/HOKA_Bondi_2/descpageMRS-HOBBM3.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I'm prone of overtraining. My heart is much tougher than my body. With the added sole thickness, do you find yourself hitting your heels first? If I do my knees get very unhappy with me very quickly. I'm currently running in Altra's mostly and Newton's occasionally, but I worry those shoes further aggravate my Achilles issues.

Thanks for the info. I'm prone of overtraining. My heart is much tougher than my body. With the added sole thickness, do you find yourself hitting your heels first? If I do my knees get very unhappy with me very quickly. I'm currently running in Altra's mostly and Newton's occasionally, but I worry those shoes further aggravate my Achilles issues.

Which Altras are you wearing? The original instinct is still my favorite shoe to date.

I'm with you on the balance between the drop and the knee pain or the no drop and the achilles pain. The Hokas hit the balance well for me, but I suspect I'd like them even more if there was no drop rather than the 4mm. It's hard to say though. I do lightly heel strike now, though I strive for landing the shoe flat. Zero drop would probably put me more forefoot. But I am OK with where I am. I suspect there will be a LOT of "maximalist" high cushion/low drop shoes coming out because Hokas are pretty successfully penetrating the long distance market. I saw 10 or so folks in them at my recent 50k (300 participants) and I wasn't doing a survey, I just noticed them. This in a town where you can't buy them in a shoe store. So by year end I bet there are lots of options to dial in a perfect low drop cushioned ride once the big boys rush to get models out to satisfy perceived desire for them.

I know you didn't ask me, but I have a pair of the Altra Superiors. Super comfy but as I said I couldn't make them work. I'll try again if I lose 30 pounds. Or I'll wear them for a fast 5k. I can definitely see why folks love them.

I know you didn't ask me, but I have a pair of the Altra Superiors. Super comfy but as I said I couldn't make them work. I'll try again if I lose 30 pounds. Or I'll wear them for a fast 5k. I can definitely see why folks love them.

Didn't mean not to ask you, so no worries there. I have tried many types of shoes, and until going minimal/zero drop I have never been able to run without pain. My first few runs in vibram five fingers were eye opening. I am scared of the Hokas because the one theme among my favorite shoes is that they aren't very cushioned. I had a pair of Hattoris that felt amazing until I took them for a spin and felt like I was running on marshmallows, same with a pair of Kinvaras. I am also a low mileage noob, with my longest runs only sneaking up on 5 miles, which certainly makes it easier for me to skip on the cushioning.

There is definitely a marshmallow thing in the Hokas... They feel springy to me though. It is hard to describe. If you don't like cushioning, I bet you'd hate them.

That is an awesome price, thanks for the info. I am in Chicago, I am just wishing I could be outside running.

Any Runners in the House?

I don't run in the house or run with scissors. Things my mom told me not to do, many years ago.

Best of luck with that arch, Tim. My wife is in the orthodics/prosthetics industry so I get to hear all about the tough foot issues.

I tried the orthotics route and my knees went to hell. I hope it works well for her though! For a lot of people they bring a lot of relief.

I tried the orthotics route and my knees went to hell. I hope it works well for her though! For a lot of people they bring a lot of relief.

She is not a user, just a dealer :wink2:

She wore foot orthoses for a few years post college, but now has no need for them.

I have found that with the minimalist shoes and my newtons(once I got used to them) that I never have any knee pain. The key to not running with any pain isn't cushioning but proper form which I have found the newtons and minimalist shoes promote. The Newtons do have steep price tag but are well worth it. People think cushioning means protection but that isn't always the case. unfortunately there isnt one perfect shoe for everyone and it is a lot of trial and error.

As a side note, has anyone here read the book "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougal? If you have not yet you should. Great story, lots of interesting science and information as well. The perfect running book!!

Top Bottom