What's new

Any Runners in the House?

Btw I would 2nd the use of the GPS watch...I used my phone and map my run app for a while and got tired of the inaccuracies and finding a better way to carry it and check it so I got a garmin 310xt. It works very well, much better than the mmr app. I use runningahead.com as my data base app. Garmin has its own called garmin connect, and there are several others out there, but I can also upload directly from my watch to runningahead which includes workout notes, weather details, equipment(to track milages on multiple shoes), categories for types of workouts, reports of weekly/monthly/yearly stats and more. It's a VERY good site.

My last goal was to break 1:30 in the half, my next goal is Boston qualifying for the full. Once I do that I think I'll be able just to run more for enjoyment and relax a bit.

5k 19:55---2012
5mi 33:49---2012
10mi 1:11:31---2011
Half 1:28:37---2013
Full 3:25:28---2013

I'm hoping to qualify as a 40-44 age either this spring or in the fall...fingers crossed and legs pumping...

Good luck with qualifying!!! Boston is an experience like no other and just to make it is a great accomplishment. I recommend lots of speed work and even a Half-marathon race a month or so before your next marathon just to see where your fitness is at. Judging by your PRs Boston is well within range for you

Good luck with qualifying!!! Boston is an experience like no other and just to make it is a great accomplishment. I recommend lots of speed work and even a Half-marathon race a month or so before your next marathon just to see where your fitness is at. Judging by your PRs Boston is well within range for you

Thanks, Boston wasn't even on my radar until recently. I actually ran my first full last spring after thinking I'd never be able to with all of my ITBS issues I've had, but I put an exercise regimen together that got me over the hump and got my first one in last April. I've devised a plan for my training that I think is going to work out.

There's A LOT of race pace and faster miles in my plan. Basically at this loading stage the only time I'm not running at or below race pace is sat morning long runs...but then the last 3rd of my milage in my long run is also race pace so I can get used to race pace with tired legs. Sundays then are the only run that will be slower than race as a recovery run...but then only 20-30 seconds slower. We'll see if I can keep that up through feb and most of march before I pick up more focused speed work. As long as I listen to my body along the way and rest when I'm getting getting beat up I should be ok. Now if the weather forecast for the race cooperates I'll be feeling even better about it.

Full Marathon: 3:06:44(Boston qualifier)

Are you running it this year? I'm not a qualifier by any means, but I'm running the Boston Marathon this year. Almost ran it last year. Its going to be my first and with the "dead of winter" training schedule probably my last!

Are you running it this year? I'm not a qualifier by any means, but I'm running the Boston Marathon this year. Almost ran it last year. Its going to be my first and with the "dead of winter" training schedule probably my last!

I wish I was running it this year but 2010 was the last marathon I ran. Ive had some injury trouble with my hips. If I could qualify I would run it every year.

If you aren't a qualifier how are you running it?? Did you get a company invite or via raising money etc??? All I can say is too enjoy it and not worry about your time. The fans are amazing and seeing all the kids and high five-ing them along the way is out of this world!! Also if you go to the expo everything goes on sale dirt cheap the day before the race a couple hours before it closes. ;) T-shirts $5

I hope you have fun there. I crave going back.

I got into distance running 3 years ago to run a half marathon just to say I did...I've since gotten hooked...I don't run many races...focusing mostly on half marathons. I really need to get another 5k, 5mi and 10 miler race under my belt as its been a while for the shorter/mid distance races. I've had workout runs that have beaten my PR's for those races since then.:wink2:

My last goal was to break 1:30 in the half, my next goal is Boston qualifying for the full. Once I do that I think I'll be able just to run more for enjoyment and relax a bit.

5k 19:55---2012
5mi 33:49---2012
10mi 1:11:31---2011
Half 1:28:37---2013
Full 3:25:28---2013

I'm hoping to qualify as a 40-44 age either this spring or in the fall...fingers crossed and legs pumping...

Great times, Dilbone! Looks like we are cruising around the same pace. Good luck qualifying for Boston!

I like froogle_jimmy's idea of posting pics of shoes and gear. I'll try to get a decent picture over the weekend. And also the idea of some B&Bers meeting up for a race. We would have to get B&B tech shirts!

If you aren't a qualifier how are you running it?? Did you get a company invite or via raising money etc??? All I can say is too enjoy it and not worry about your time.

I'm getting it through cronyism, basically; I work for the state of Massachusetts and I have a connection with the town of Wellesley Police Department. I know I'm going to enjoy the race, but I'm in the midst of the "dog days" of training, and with the nasty wet snow we just got, race day looks like its getting farther and farther away. I had to do my long run last weekend at the crack of dawn and it was zero degrees outside. But this has been a lifelong dream of mine since I was about 5 or 6 and playing the Boston Marathon board game with my family.

EDIT: forgot to add that the PD "donates" the entrance fee to charity (the BAA doesn't charge them the fee but they make entrants donate the equivalent).

Also if you go to the expo everything goes on sale dirt cheap the day before the race a couple hours before it closes. ;) T-shirts $5

Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
MrSpeedy - good to hear your thoughts on the Kinvara. I went with Brooks as they are supposed to be more "cushiony". I don't know if I will ever go for the true "flat shoe", but the 4 mm drop worked well when I was running more.

Any big runs this weekend? I just found out about a local zombie run 5k, so I just missed that one. Think I'm just going to head out on a light jog today and make tomorrow a distance (well, distance for me) day.

There was a winter triathlon at the Halifax oval today but the horrible weather kept me away. 4k skate, 4k bike, 5 k run. Would have been fun skating around the Olympic sized oval. :(

I'm getting it through cronyism, basically; I work for the state of Massachusetts and I have a connection with the town of Wellesley Police Department. I know I'm going to enjoy the race, but I'm in the midst of the "dog days" of training, and with the nasty wet snow we just got, race day looks like its getting farther and farther away. I had to do my long run last weekend at the crack of dawn and it was zero degrees outside. But this has been a lifelong dream of mine since I was about 5 or 6 and playing the Boston Marathon board game with my family.

EDIT: forgot to add that the PD "donates" the entrance fee to charity (the BAA doesn't charge them the fee but they make entrants donate the equivalent).

Thanks for the tip!

That is great that the PD still puts in the entrance fee. the job the police in Mass did last year after bombing and stand-off was second to none.

Thats another reason I wish I could run this year and stand proudly with the people of the Boston area and show those cowardly attackers how strong a group runners are.

I am excited for you to run it....especially since its been a dream of yours for so long. It will be harder to win the race then the board game is I am sure ;)

No problem, Teppanyaki - that's what this thread is for! A winter triathlon sounds really cool, froogle_jimmy.

Yes, it would have been cool/cold but the weather was horrible. Sleet Hail, high winds , snow, rain........Well you get the picture. Next year for sure I will do it!!!

Also teppanyaki I would say to try a flat shoe or the Newtons......its amazing the difference. But only try them if you have an efficient stride. they are not for everyone.

Interesting thread! I'm an intermittent runner. I was really into it when I was younger, running a lot at work and then whatever distance runs I could fit in during my free time. Since then, I've run as part of whatever else I'm doing for conditioning, usually keeping my mileage moderate and cross training on my gym days. Recently, my daughter has gotten interested in racing, so I've decided to get back into it with her. Joined a local running club too. I slowed down for a while over the winter after cutting up my knee pretty badly on a trail run, but everything seems to be holding together and I'm trying to get my mileage up again. I have been debating about getting a GPS watch too. Maybe that will be my next purchase!

Interesting thread! I'm an intermittent runner. I was really into it when I was younger, running a lot at work and then whatever distance runs I could fit in during my free time. Since then, I've run as part of whatever else I'm doing for conditioning, usually keeping my mileage moderate and cross training on my gym days. Recently, my daughter has gotten interested in racing, so I've decided to get back into it with her. Joined a local running club too. I slowed down for a while over the winter after cutting up my knee pretty badly on a trail run, but everything seems to be holding together and I'm trying to get my mileage up again. I have been debating about getting a GPS watch too. Maybe that will be my next purchase!

Lots of great GPS watch options out there nowadays. The garmin FR10 is great for around $120 new!
Welcome to the thread.

I've got the Garmin Forerunner 410 (apparently discontinued now) and I love it. I've had it over a year without any issues. The foot pod is great on the treadmill after you calibrate it on a normal run and the bike pod is great too for those non-run days. Helps to keep you motivated if you're going for a pace or distance.

Anyone actively training for an upcoming (even far off) race? I've been working on the suggested training plan off of the Ragnar Relay site with 4 run days, 2 XT and 1 rest per week.

I'm a runner, I've been on the mend for quite some time, last year was plagued with injuries; I overtrained like crazy winter of 2013 so I mainly paced races and didn't race for myself.

All my PRs are from 2011-2012

5k - 20:40
5 mi - 34:08
10k - 43:05
Half - 1:35:00

I'm trying to build back up now. Only running 15-20 miles per week, I'd like to get back to 30-40 by this summer.

As for advice, without a doubt, get a Garmin or other GPS watch, they are amazing advances for the amateur runner. I use a Garmin 310xt. It's not perfect, but I find it works very, very well for me. Very accurate and easy to use. And the battery life is fantastic.

Also sign up for a race. That's the best way to stay motivated. If you have a clear cut goal, you'll stick with your training. Tough Mudders, Warrior Dash's etc are great, but they are mostly team events in my experience, if you have a few buddies it's a lot more fun and a lot easier to get through the obstacles. Standard running races are also great with friends, but you can compete in them no problem solo.

Last edited:
I am not a runner, but I have run a ragnar and also done a rugged maniac mud run. The ragnar relay is one of the coolest things I have ever completed in my entire life. I was by far our slowest team member (9:30 pace), and prior to the race I had honestly never even run the length of my shortest run (I was injured during training). That being said, the experience of finishing was just awesome.

I've run on and off throughout my adult (post 30-year-old) life. But the past year is the first time I can honestly say I am a runner. Not because of times or accomplishments, but because I actually love it now.

I get outside for a few hours, I get to spend time doing something that requires a little thought and a little effort, but that is almost entirely pleasurable. No phone, no worries, lots of time to think things out with an oxygen depleted brain so nothing gets too complex mentally. It has the added benefit that everyone else thinks you are suffering and doing a good thing. Folks really encourage you.

I never had the patience to really enjoy it when I was younger.

I started last year having not run in 5 years or so and worked my way up to a 50k. I'll probably back off the distance a bit. But my goal is to get faster this year and to qualify for Boston in the next two years. If I don't get there, that's OK too. I'm just loving running for running's sake.

Top Bottom