What's new

Biofreeze, Bengay or Icy Hot?

I need some help here. I am interested in which of the three products you have tried. If more than one, which you preferred, and why. Any feedback is appreciated. I know there are varying levels within each product line as well so if you know which one you have tried, please note that as well.

My father in law competes in many of the strong man competitions and has recently had my mother in law working out pretty heavily. They seem to often have a tube of biofreeze with them and asked if I could duplicate it or make it better.

Thanks in advance!

Wendy

I been using Ben Gay for centuries, it is effective for me, but a friend recommended Tiger Balm and Bio Freeze and they work a bit better.

I've had decent results with Icy Hot, worked better for me than Ben Gay, but never tried Bio Freeze. I don't know what it was the trainers had when I was playing football in high school, but they had a liniment that was brutal, but very effective. All I remember is it was a somewhat dark brown color with a consistency of petroleum jelly and you could smell it from miles away. Proper and careful placement was key...as was making sure certain wardrobe items were safely locked away from deviant teammates.

I tend to like the formulas with capsaicin. While they do sometimes burn topically, they are much more effective for muscle soreness.

I tend to like the formulas with capsaicin. While they do sometimes burn topically, they are much more effective for muscle soreness.

I did see that Bengay has a version with that as well as the Tiger Balm. That may be right up my alley. Hot Peppers!

Biofreeze is awesome. I've used Tiger balm, Bengay and several other brands which I can't recall at the moment. I've been using Biofreeze for the last 3-4 years and have no desire to try/use another product. It is very effective and not too greasy, messy or offensive in any way.
I haven't used it out of a tube. But the roll-on is great and the spray is a close a second.

Voltaren Gel. I use to fence competive and that is all we would use. Same with others in training. The team Doc wrote a script for it but that was then, I think I saw a website that now carries it OTC. Ask your Doc. Great stuff that makes other rubs seem minor league. I still use it for occassional sore muscles. Wish them good luck in their training.

Can't find much info on OTC. Do you have a name by chance?

Voltaren Gel. I use to fence competive and that is all we would use. Same with others in training. The team Doc wrote a script for it but that was then, I think I saw a website that now carries it OTC. Ask your Doc. Great stuff that makes other rubs seem minor league. I still use it for occassional sore muscles. Wish them good luck in their training.

I don't know what it was the trainers had when I was playing football in high school, but they had a liniment that was brutal, but very effective. All I remember is it was a somewhat dark brown color with a consistency of petroleum jelly and you could smell it from miles away.

That sounds an awful lot like we use in high school. If so, it was Atomic Balm: https://www.google.com/search?q=atomic+balm&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=nBv8Uoy0DoLBqAHiy4CQCQ&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg&biw=1366&bih=609#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=MWgER8mPsCRNhM%253A%3ByogMrFd8BBOUSM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252F4.bp.blogspot.com%252F_TbmplkIYLx8%252FR_wV8ZEMrbI%252FAAAAAAAAAh0%252Fp_9GqudwkNQ%252Fs1600-h%252F100_3035.JPG%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fsprinterdellacasa.blogspot.com%252F2008%252F04%252Fequipment-atomic-balm.html%3B1600%3B1200

^ +1

$510rcRC-EPL._SY355_.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Tiger Balm fan here, although I've only tried that and Rub A535 ...

Voltaren gel is diclofenac, which is a prescription anti-inflammatory (need a prescription). I've heard great things about Bio-Freeze although I haven't needed to use any.

I use Tiger Balm, but more for sinus congestion than anything else, and not even that for years . . .

Personally, I'm not a big fan of any of them, I go for an ice bath or ice bag/pack instead, but I have used Biofreeze recently and didn't find it to be any more effective than plain old lotion, nowhere near as cold or hot feeling as bengay or icy hot.

I use Horseman's Dream Veterinary Liniment with aloe. Smells like BenGay out of the gate but goes away after a few minutes. But it does feel soooo good. A bit pricey but worth it, imo.

This was a fun experiment. I made a cream with max menthol and wintergreen essential oil (Methyl salicylate). It sure was a tough venture, trying to get 42% oil mixed into a cream and still make it remain cream. It came out like curdled cottage cheese several times. : )
It was a hit, now I am trying to copy Atomic Balm. : )

I have never used the rubs much myself, this was asked of me by a family member. I gave it a shot, and to my surprise, I actually have been using it some. I have about 10 discs that give me trouble, I refuse to have surgery and this did help take the edge off a bit, probably just mental though. :blush: Had I listened to my body years ago, I would not be in the situation I am in now. There are other reasons I thought I would try the capsaicin cream as well, I can use the leftover pepper powder for my crazy hot food addiction. : )

Top Bottom