What's new

First Shave With The Parker 99R

Hi gents! I had my first run with the 99R this morning. Here are my thoughts.

Great look and weight. I wanted a butterfly razor in my collection because I love the design. Just classy looking.

Used a Derby Extra blade. I chose this because I got the impression that this razor was more aggressive than my 34C and I wanted a blade that was lower in sharpness.

It certainly felt more aggressive than my 34C loaded with a Wilkinson.

I had alot of trouble centering the blade in this razor. I ended up just trying to eyeball it however I could tell that was more blade exposed on one side than the other. This killed my experience with this razor. If this is going to be an issue with multiple blades than I'm looking to PIF.

Some slight irritation. I attribute this to technique and constantly having to readjust my angle whenever I flipped the razor.

I'm going to give this razor a couple more goes. Next I'll use a Wilkinson which feels great for me in my 34C.

Thoughts from other 99R owners?

The 99R was the first DE razor I bought. I liked it, but didn't love it. Too aggressive for me. I didn't have the alignment issues you're referring to. I ended up selling it since I wasn't using it.

Nice looking, well built razor though! Give it some time and try other blades as well.

I have the 99R which was given to me December 2012. It did not have any QC issues as the plating was impeccable and blade alignment was perfect. I found the shave to be aggressive (more so than my Merkur 23C and Muhle R89) as I could obtain a near-BBS with WTG and skin-stretching XTG passes. The blade gap is not very big, but the blade exposure is - On my razor, it protrudes past the imaginary line created by solid-bar and top cap. Thus, I adjust my technique/angle by shaving with the handle closer to my skin (more parallel).

I have a 99r if you hold the tabs on the side of the blades that aren't sharp while closing the doors you can center the blade better so exposure is even on each side you will need to loosen the doors just a little if you need to adjust it hope this info helps

I have tried my 99R several times and have not gotten a good shave with it yet. It is the worst razor in the thirteen razors I have. I use a Parker 22R as my travel razor and I find it quite aggressive and it always delivers a BBS.

The 99r was my first razor and is still in my regular rotation. I get great shaves with it. No mechanical problems just at all.

No problem i never had problems getting my blade lined up after using that trick but mine as said was to mild for me and left me doing too many passes causing irritation.

Top Bottom