What's new

Gillette DEFINITELY is pouring more $ into the marketing of the Mach 3 in the US

Has anyone else noticed this? The boxes/containers for the Mach 3 cartridges now have a redesigned look which proclaims that 5 Mach 3 cartridges can last up to 5 months. The prices of Mach 3 cartridges have also noticeably dropped (they now cost around $13.00 by me). This obviously suggests that what some here have suggested is indeed true; namely that Gillette realizes a substantial # of men have decided to eschew the Fusion and ProGlide in favour of sticking with their trusted Mach 3. I don't think they have really encountered this problem before, so it probably took all of the cartridge big-wigs at Proctor & Gamble by surprise. They assumed that the same % of men who "decided to upgrade" when they rolled out a new cartridge/razour would remain static through the years. For whatever reason, it seems that they have encountered some unexpected resistance to "upgrading yet again" from this country's hardcore cartridge users. The fact that they seem to be pouring resources into "rebranding" the Mach 3 suggests that they are wary of being outflanked by cheaper versions of their 3-blade razour now that the patent is set to run out. Does anyone else agree? Anywhere, here is what the new Mach 3 packaging looks like. They also rebranded the green M3 Power, which has apparently evolved into the Mach 3 Sensitive Skin razour.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

mach 3 was always the best cartridge by them but even at 13 bucks and the life of each one lasting depending on the person and how much they shave it still costs too much even with price range. thats why im glad i stumbled upon here so my poor *** can save some money lol.

5 cartridges would have lasted me 10 months. I tried the Fusion once years ago and I don't think I stayed with it for more than three months before going back to the M3. It's all moot now that I'm going with the DE shave.

Funny, I swear there was a Mach 3 advert on BT sport in the UK a couple of nights ago. Didn't register with me until a couple of ads later.

There was a Mach 3 T.V. commercial on here in Arizona recently followed by a Fusion ProGlide commercial right after it.

Can they both be " The best a man can get" ?

mach 3 was always the best cartridge by them but even at 13 bucks and the life of each one lasting depending on the person and how much they shave it still costs too much even with price range. thats why im glad i stumbled upon here so my poor *** can save some money lol.

Sorry batman but I have to strongly disagree with you here about the best cartridge that Gillette ever made. For me,its not the mach3,its the older,original Trac ll made back in the 70's. That was a good one,however I realize its all subjective anyway

Craig

Their products always seem to last for months while in my experience a M3 cart was dull after 3 shaves (1 pass only).

Sorry batman but I have to strongly disagree with you here about the best cartridge that Gillette ever made. For me,its not the mach3,its the older,original Trac ll made back in the 70's. That was a good one,however I realize its all subjective anyway

For me it's the Sensor Excel, although I also really like the Atra. But I'll take any Gillette two-blade over a three-blade. And I'll take any of them over the Fusion.

But back to topic: I'm not surprised Gillette is pushing the M3. When the Fusion came out, I predicted it would tank, figuring Gillette had bitten off two blades more than it could chew. It turns out the Fusion didn't completely tank, but like the OP says, it doesn't seem to have been completely successful, either: every indication is that the Fusion has not eclipsed the M3, as Gillette had hoped, and that the company still relies heavily on M3 sales. It just proves marketing will only get you so far. In the end, the consumer base has to want what you've got, or they won't go for it.

I think the M3 has been one of Gillette's most successful cartridge razors. If it's still selling, why not continue to market it?

For me, the best razor was and still is the Trac II, but I know a few people who swear by the M3.

Funny, I swear there was a Mach 3 advert on BT sport in the UK a couple of nights ago. Didn't register with me until a couple of ads later.

Yes, there's a definite re-launch of the M3 going on in the UK. I've been noticing quite a few ads. I'm still not going to buy one though :001_tt2:

I don't know if the Gillette SensorExcel is still being sold in the USA, but it is back o the shelf in Europe for about 10$.

I don't know if the Gillette SensorExcel is still being sold in the USA, but it is back o the shelf in Europe for about 10$.
Still here. On store shelves, the best price I can find it for is $12.50 or so for a five-pack and $21 for a ten-pack, both at Walmart. Online prices are much better.

I thought they stopped selling the Sensor, But I really don't keep up with the Cartridges.
started with the Atra moved on to the sensor and that was it.
now a nice pre war fat handel tech...but then that is all you guys fault!

For the last 10 years or so, before buying a DE razor, I had both a vibrating Mach 5 and a regular Mach 3. I'd mow down the monster stubble with the 5, then do the sideburns, top lip and any detailed cleanup with the Mach 3. Used to joke with friends that the M5 was the vacuum whereas the M3 was the razor.

I'm guessing the Fusion and Proglide are the Mach 5?

I thought they stopped selling the Sensor, But I really don't keep up with the Cartridges.
started with the Atra moved on to the sensor and that was it.
now a nice pre war fat handel tech...but then that is all you guys fault!

no, you can still get the Sensor in just about any drug store in the states. They DID stop selling the Atra and Trac II stateside, however. You can still get the carts for these razours, but the actual razours were pulled off of the US market in the 90's (probably around the time the Mach 3 came out).

up untill yesterday evening I hadnt given the Mach3 any thought as I thought it had been dead and burried by the new improved super 5 blade cart systems (not that I've ever used one) but then an add came on the TV for the now new improved Mach3. Whats going on? is there some kinda backlash against expensive super 5 blade carts?

In the early 1990s, Schick made the best multi-blade razor ever. It was an inexpensive two blade flexible cartridge.
Give me the advertising dollars and that technology, and I will cause P&G shareholders serious dismay.

Last edited:
In the early 1990s, Schick made the best multi-blade razor ever. It was an inexpensive two blade flexible cartridge. Give me the advertising dollars and that technology, and I will cause P&G shareholders serious dismay.

I think you are referring to the Tracer. This is a good time to use the phrase YMMV, because I never liked the Tracer, and found it to be genuinely inferior to the Sensor. It seemed to me (as it still does) Gillette's spring-mounted blades were a genuine innovation, whereas Schick's flexible blades were a cheap attempt to copy Gillette's success. That was based on my own observations using both razors. Marketing didn't influence my opinion.

Top Bottom