What's new

Touch-ups with Xtreme3

So I have been DE shaving for a few months and really enjoy the ritual and extra time spent trying to get the best shave.

My beard is very dark and coarse. I generally make two passes WTG and ATG and touch-ups. Occasionally I will throw in XTG in certain areas. Most shaves are BBS.

I have several DE's that I use and find that I really like the clean smooth shave the Astra SP blades give me.

As my technique has improved I have noticed that several areas are still tricky to shave without irritation or cuts. The areas are my neck around my adams apple and my upper lip below my nose and finally my chin (I have a dimple) that makes it difficult to shave closely.

I have tried shorter strokes, stretching the skin, taking my time but ultimately in most circumstances it leads to redness and cuts. It's very difficult to get BBS in these areas.

So this leads to the title of my thread. I find that it's much easier, faster and less chance for incident when I use an Xteme3 Cartridge razor to touch-up these areas. Each time this leads to a great BBS and my face feels great.

Sometimes I touch-up other areas that still have small patches of hair also. The cartridge razor seems to make it easier to make straight lines for my side burns as well.

Am I committing a DE shaving faux pas?

Does anyone else do this?

Is there a special technique I can try with the DE for those areas?

Last edited:
Use a sharper blade. There are better blades compared to the Astra SP. I used them for a longtime until I went out and got some other blades like the Permasharp. All I can say is the Permasharp beats the Astra SP, I get a full BBS without any irritations. I think you need to look for a different blade.

A "DE shaving faux pas?" No such thing, bro! There are guys on this forum who lather up with a brush & soap or cream, then shave with a cartridge system. Others who use a DE Razor with Barbasol foam. This is a forum for sharing what works for each of us to get the closest shave possible, in the most comfortable way we can. Do what works for you.

I find ther secret to touching up hard to shave spots is to use even less pressure than the minimal pressure I use for the rest of my face and neck, if that makes sense. Sometimes it doesn't feel as if the blade is cutting anything, but if I run by fingertips over that particular area then I find it has.

I agree. A sharp blade like a Feather along with a very slick clear film preferably for me so I can see what I am touching up or buffing. The shaving film along with a sharp blade will help the blade avoid any tugging along with proper technique. Some use special shave creams, creams, oil or a combination like I do. I shaved this morning on a 2 day growth with one of my Fatips and the touch up buffing went flawless on my trouble spots and produced a true BBS. You just have to experiment with what works for you. Touching up with a cartilage just does not sound as fun as acquiring a DE shaving skill in my book.

I am only just in the last few shaves finally perfecting the mustache area right under my nose. I've always used the TracII or Sensor as the razor for that spot and right against my lower lip. The last 5 or 6 shaves I've finally done everything with just the DE and no nicks. that being said, I lay the TracII on the counter, just in case.

Top Bottom