What's new

Initial honing with a pasted strop

Hi guys --

I just picked up a DOVO Renaissance (received it a little over a week ago), and I'm expecting to get my new pasted paddle strop from Tony Miller soon. I've been reading all of the threads I could find about how to go about honing and stropping, and I'm looking for a little advice on how I should proceed.

From what I've read, it seems that it should be MUCH easier to learn how to do all of my honing and stropping using one of these pasted strops. However, I also saw another thread in which Joel was saying that noobs might be in over their head trying to set up the initial bevel and trying to get their first straight to be shave ready (point being that if it's your first straight razor, how would you know what shave ready is?). Should I be worried about really messing up either my razor or strop by trying to do all of this on my own (with the help of all the writings I can find here)? Or should I not worry too much and just give it a go?

I'd really like to do it all myself, because I'm a big fan of learning new skills, but at the same time I don't want to ruin $200+ worth of equipment because I rushed into it too soon. What do you guys think?

Thanks!!
-Matt

The safest way to be sure is to pick up a "beater" razor to practice on. Get an old razor (of decent steel) from an antique store, Eboy, or a flea market. I did much the same and actually now prefer the "old" razor over the new one. :w00t:

If your new razor is pre-honed to a true shaving edge, TM's 4-sided pasted paddle will keep you shaving for quite some time. This assumes no dings or other accidents.

The safest way to be sure is to pick up a "beater" razor to practice on. Get an old razor (of decent steel) from an antique store, Eboy, or a flea market. I did much the same and actually now prefer the "old" razor over the new one. :w00t:

If your new razor is pre-honed to a true shaving edge, TM's 4-sided pasted paddle will keep you shaving for quite some time. This assumes no dings or other accidents.

I second that idea, get something good, but ugly, and go to it.

Ok, thanks -- I'll poke around, I know there are at least a few antique shops around me, so maybe I'll find something inexpensive.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I would not suggest trying to do it all on a paddle strop. Not with the usual assortment of grits anyway. I used to do all my razors on paddles only but started with new razors with factory bevels and used 9.0 and 6.0 micron abraisives. A hone is far better for this.

Using a paddle to try and set a bevel on an older eBay find is unlikely to be sucessful and will simply wear out the abrsives before you get anywhere.

Tony

No, the pastes will most likely not be enough to set the initial edge (unless it is already really close which is not likely). Have it sent to a honemeister so that they can put a great shaving edge on the razor, learn to shave with a razor that you know is sharp, then learn to maintain the shave ready edge with your pasted paddle strop. This is plenty to work on for a while, then when you feel you are ready you can learn how to set the initial edge with a hone.

I lucked out and received my new paddle strop from Tony at Well Shaved Gentleman just as I found that the new Dovo Special that I had honed on a Norton 8000 was not even close to being sharp enough to shave with. (It would take too long and be too embarassing to explain why I elected to hone a razor that I had received new the week before, perfectly hone by Lynn.)

I followed the enclosed directions and worked my way around the paddle from .3 to green, did the obligatory stropping on my new strop and, "Voila," the Dovo shaved wonderfully. What satisfaction to feel the blade go from grabber to glider! How great to find tools that work at least as well as everyone says.

I can see that it is going to be a bit until I get the hang of keeping the razor flat on the paddle without pressure, but I know it comes eventually, cause y'all told me so.

Rick

You can adjust the razor to your liking on the paddle strop. Your best bet is to have the edge set by a real pro. I did what you did and found that the strop is an excellent way to resharpen. When I got my razor back it was not as sharp as I like a razor, after shaving with it once. When you send in the razor ask if you can have a certain edge put on it. Like finishing on a 12k or whatever. I do not know what pastes you requested on your strop from Tony but when you strop go with a very light touch. From what I have experienced if you go light it is very hard to ruin the bevel that has been set. You want to start at 1.0 and work down. It does not take very many laps to get what you want done. I am by no means a pro but I do shave with some really sharp blades, and I love the shaves.

Take Care,
Richard

Just my opinion, but I would not go through the time and trouble of getting another blade and learning to sharpen it while your beautiful Rennaissance sits and waits. It is a darned good razor so send it out to get a pro sharpening (heavydutysg135 is just exceptional, pm him!:001_rolle) and just daily stropping thereafter. You will be happily shaving in no time. Later, after a month or so, if you still feel you want to get into the honing aspect of keeping a straight razor sharp, then go after a cheap alternate to practice.

Top Bottom