What's new

Pipe Smokers: A good English Blend?

Depends what you like, heavy or medium latakia or oriental, though heavier on the oriental is typically called a Balkan. I'm by no means an expert but I've been trying to smoke my way through these. Scroll down for Balkans

My favorites are Margate, Penzance, Campanile.

S

sullivanpm

Depends what you like, heavy or medium latakia or oriental, though heavier on the oriental is typically called a Balkan. I'm by no means an expert but I've been trying to smoke my way through these. Scroll down for Balkans

My favorites are Margate, Penzance, Campanile.

I knew there was a change in the 965, I see Dunhill has changed blending houses.
I have tried all of the Frog Morton's with On the Town and On the Bayou being my faves.
I tend to like the Balken/English blends better than Orientals (I do like Squadron Leader though).

I don't particularly care for anything with Burley in it.
And I have smoked enough Virgina blends to know that I am not fond of straight Virginia blends.

I really love GL Pease's Westminster.

I ahve heard fabulous things about his new blend maltese falcon, but have yet to crack my tin.

S

sullivanpm

Almost all of Greg's blends are great.
+1
I have yet to smoke a bad one.
I really liked Mephisto & Bohemian Scandal when you could still buy them.
Renaissance & Ravens Wing were tasty as well.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have a boatload of them. I particularly enjoy Charing Cross, Abingdon, Blackpoint, and Caravan.

GLPease - Westminster!:001_wub:

If you can, get Murray's Dunhill London Mixture

Samuel Gawith's Squadron Leader is a pretty good English too.

The Pease blends mentioned plus Deacon's Downfall. You'd probably like McClelland Arcadia, too, but it does have a touch of that ketchupy whang people talk about.

If you want to go bulk but also really good, McClelland 2040. (I've been told it smelled like creosote, "moose ***," and worse things. If you're regularly a 965 smoker, you can pull it off, though.) Wonderful stuff.

S

sullivanpm

Without a doubt, Petersons University Flake..

with Irish Flake as a close second.
I haven't had university flake since I was in College. I may have to try it again.
I plan on picking up Pease's Maltese Falcon today.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'll add Peacehaven and Stonehaven to the list

Can't wait to crack open both of my bags, but it's a hell of a lot of tobak. 1 pound put together. Every time I pick one up to open I chicken out, last time I opened a tin of No. 24 instead.

Top Bottom