What's new

Pu-erh Cake: Break it up, Or leave it intact

So I have my first full cake of Puerh coming in (09 8582), should be here on Monday, the question I have, since I will be getting into right away, should I break the whole cake down to loose leaves, small "per serving" chunks, or leave it intact and just pry off what im going to use in each brew setion

what do youse Puerh experts do with your cakes ?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I don't think it "matters" ...

... but ...

... if you keep the cake together until needed, and break off an appropriately-sized piece when desired, you are able to "adjust" your serving size as you go along, adapting as you find preferences for how much tea you want to put in your yixing, gaiwan or other. (Plus, if you get a new yixing or gaiwan in the near future ... "yixing pot acquisition disorder" anyone? ... that is a different size from your current one, you can adjust serving size on the fly.

And they look so pretty intact... I actually am holding off on a new yixing to see how I luke the puerh, I have one for green TGY and onebfor darker roasts like DHP if I really like the 8582 or some samples ill add another pot for that

I always leave mine intact. I use my pocket knife to break off tea for brewing...but there is a tool made especially for breaking off tea. Tea Master Chen was thinking about importing a few, but I haven't seen any but the one he uses.

So I have my first full cake of Puerh coming in (09 8582), should be here on Monday, the question I have, since I will be getting into right away, should I break the whole cake down to loose leaves, small "per serving" chunks, or leave it intact and just pry off what im going to use in each brew setion

what do youse Puerh experts do with your cakes ?

It is personal preference. If I plan to drink a cake in the near future, I usually break it up and let it breathe for a couple of weeks before hand. Especially if the cake is either tightly compressed or has been stored in an especially humid environment. In the latter case, I will often let it breathe for several months.

A 2009 8582 is still going to be have a lot of bite (depending on storage). Breaking it up will likely do it a bit of good

Maybe I should break the back half apart and let it breath and keep thr front intact just to try the difference for myself

It doesn't matter. You can do it either way. I tend to break more of mine up if I'm planning on drinking it right away.

So these are THAT big huh... better hope I like this stuff or ill have one heck of a PIF, a pif being what brought my interest back to Puerh in the first place as Mike sent me a sample a while back

$20140210_183124.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Keep us updated. I may try these once I get my hardware going and get some oolongs.

On edit- autocorrect figured I wanted to get some oblongs :001_smile

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The <901> on the label indicates it was the first pressing (01) of 2009 (9). Those are usually the best of the year.

The 8582 is a classic recipe, and a favorite of many.

Alright looks like I did pretty good for my first purchase then, well without the uber prices of older pressings, though I noticed a lot of the Tou's you memtioned to me stay at very nice prices even at ten years old, ill be trying this tea tonight, then decide what tea gets use in that new yixing sitting next to the cake

Thanks for your help Jay

The puerh cake is such a perfect product in itself, unbroken, that I like keeping it intact as long as possible.

Or, if worse comes to worse, buy two cakes; save one, and break apart the other over time. Just make sure to get cakes that you know are going to age well.

The whole process is so confusing that I've reverted to non-puerh tea.

better hope I like this stuff or ill have one heck of a PIF

8582 is good. I have some here at the house right now. That cake will last you a long time if you are drinking it casually. You don't have to rush... if you want, you can store part of it in a jar for later.

Did you find a local vendor James?
no I went online, I keep digging at it though, I would think you would have to go into toronto to find someone, but I would rather find someone and make the trip in then to take a whole day of trying to find someone all over the city

For a 2009 8582, I would recommend keeping whatever you are not drinking intact. In doing so, the tea will better continue to age.

Top Bottom