What's new

The day after feeling better with DE shave

I don't know if everyone has experienced this, but just wanted to share and see what the average reaction has been. First some background; like most people here I switched due to serious razor irritation and ingrown hairs and basic pain on my neck using the 5-blade cartridge. I bought the cheapest DE razor at Sally's Beauty Supply and have about four shaves in a week and a half. I may not get the best shave yet and still nick myself a few times, but I have noticed that even the next day I have little to no irritation on my neck where it used to hurt all day. Has any other newbie experienced a decrease in irritation from switching? I don't like to shave on the weekend, but if I don't get irritation I may start just because it's fun.

Yes, I experienced the same problems due to crappy multi-blade cartridges as you did, and yes, when I switched to a DE safety razor I experienced a drop in those problems. I still experienced them from time to time, as my technique was (I'm sure) flawed and I would use the blades until they were about as sharp as a butter knife (Dutch descent, we like to be thrifty! lol) but now that my technique is (almost) perfected and I generally use the blades 3-4 times and toss them, I rarely get any irritation or ingrowns.

Hurray for DE blades!

I experienced the same when I started DE shaving. I used a Merkur 34C HD with TOBS Jermyn Street and a Derby blade, compared to the Fusion this shave was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better and the next day my face felt much better.

For the last 25 years, the right side of my neck looked terrible and felt even worse. Irritation and redness from shaving.

Took me a month to get the proper blade angle and pressure down, but now I enjoy pain & irritation free shaves with an Ikon Slant or muhle r89.

Any discomfort you're still getting after a DE shave will disappear if you keep working on technique.

A lot of folks come to DE because of the irritation caused by the pulling and tugging of cart razors. If you think it's great now wait until you improve your gear! It's gonna get better and better.
That's what I hear. I recently bought a whole new set and all I need is a bowl! I recently saw a post about Dirt Bird Pottery and it's store is near where I live!

Any discomfort you're still getting after a DE shave will disappear if you keep working on technique.

I'm still having a few issues. I actually shaved today (Saturday) because I wanted to with a new Gillette Silver Blue blade and only one tiny nick.

This was the same reason I switched from a cart to a de. I got a huge difference pretty quickly. And now I have a new hobby ;)

Top Bottom