What's new

Regarding Feather Blades

I don't understand the argument about blades being expensive. A quick look at prices varies in Canadian dollars between $0.55-$0.33 per blade depending on the quantity you purchase. At worst case you get 3 shaves per blade at $0.55 that's $0.18 per shave. That's $0.50 a week. We spend good money on the Razor, the brush and $0.50 a week is to expensive for the part that is actually doing the work.

Never found Feathers to be sharper than something like a Personna Med. To me Feathers are rather crude and ineloquent feeling, in comparison to others, although I get the same BBS in the same # of passes.

I will say that I've tried to like Feather blades... after my first shave with one I ordered fifty online...

but for me, they go downhill quickly... my second shave with them is uncomfortable at best and a third down right hurts.... YMMV but I'm glad there are other blades that work better for me... and I'm still trying more

Astra's seem to get better for me on day two, and a third day is still pretty good (that's as far as I'll go)

Gillette, Persona lab, and Polsilver all perform better than Feather for me... but so far Astra SP are my go to blade

Last edited:
My neck doesn't get along with the Feather... I found Med Prep and Polsilver are the blades for me.
Very sharp and no irritation.

I don't know what all the hubbub is about. I don't like them but every time I say that somebody jumps on me like I have defiled a religious icon.

If you're afraid of them you can try a Permasharp, it's almost like the Feather but more forgiving.

Sorry to be plagiarizing myself, but I'm reposting something I wrote in another thread.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-Razor-with-a-Super-Sharp-Blade-or-Vice-Versa

It's all in the wrist.

What I mean is, IMHO, it's all about technique and familiarity with the peculiarities of your tools and the unique patterns (mapping) of your beard.

I'm inclined to use a Feather in all my razors.

Once your head (brain) and your muscle memory get locked in to the angle and weight of your razor and how to hold it to exert the least pressure possible while still hitting the beard with the blade edge, why not use the sharpest, smoothest blade you can find?

If you find that you're removing bits of your face, it's not the blade or the razor that's at fault (assuming they're not damaged or defective). It's your technique. Now, I'll admit that it's possible that one combo or another might not cooperate with you beard and your technique as well as the next.

Personally, I don't find much fun, comfort, smoothness, safety or closeness in using a less-sharp blade. YMMV.

From what I read on B&B, it would seem that there is someone out there getting a pleasing shave with every combo imaginable.

I just shaved this morning with a Feather on its third shave in a Merkur Progress. I used Hydrolast. The Progress was set at 3.5. Eight minutes, three passes (including loading the brush with the Hydrolast cube + paste + cutting balm + activator). BBS close. No irritation. No blood-letting. My skin tends to be sensitive. I could get away with skipping my AS balm today (I will use it). I was in a hurry, so I shaved before having a chance to shower. Some splashes of hot water and a quick face wash was my pre-shave today (normally, I shower and scrub first with an exfoliating scrub or cloth). The point is that I got as good a shave as I ever have simply because my technique is better than it used to be (smoother, more confident, less pressure, knowing the direction of my beard growth, etc.).

I suffer as much from various AD symptoms as the average B&B'r. But I've found in my short time as reformed DE shaver that once I learn the unique attributes of the tool in my hand, I want the sharpest blade I can find.

If you spend some time reading threads from our straight razor shaver friends, I don't think you will find anyone talking about how to hone their blades to make them less sharp (they do get into bezel angle and full vs half hollow vs wedge conversations, but never about going less sharp). Must be something to that.

My two cents. Sorry for being long-winded.​

Last edited:
I held off on using Feathers because of all the scary talk, too. Nothing to fear, just respect the sharpness.

I use Feathers regularly but also appreciate the sharpness/smoothness of PolSilver SI, GSB, and Israeli Personna red blades.

I jumped on the Feather train a few months into my foray into wet shaving. Using them will train you to get your technique down quickly! They are nothing to be afraid of if you know what you are doing. I usually use them for 2 or 3 days - I find them to degrade fairly quickly. Astras are now my #1 blade because I can get that 4th and sometimes 5th shave out of one blade. Astras are cheaper, too.

I am new to wet shaving, about 2 months in, and started with a Derby, I did not like it at all. On my second shave, I went with a feather and loved it, but I have a coarse beard and like my blades super sharp. As many have said before, I find that they do not last.

I don't know what all the hubbub is about. I don't like them but every time I say that somebody jumps on me like I have defiled a religious icon.

There are certain topics on B&B - pre shave oil, Feather blades, the best way to hone a razor, the Veg, Taba, etc. - that result in such sentiments. :scared:

Don't believe these guys. A guy at work cut his finger off just trying to take the wrapper off a Feather blade. I heard about a fellow in Reno who sneezed while shaving with a Feather and was decapitated!

Seriously, Feathers are a very good blade, you have nothing to worry about. You may, however, want to have a couple of pints of plasma and a tourniquet on hand just in case.

Last edited:
I don't understand the argument about blades being expensive.

To some of us the expensive part is not what it cost's to shave, but in comparison to other blades. In my case personna lab's are better blades at half the price. Twice as much for a blade that is not as good makes the blade expensive in my mind. Not everyone will feel the same way as they may prefer the feathers and think it's worth it. If I got a better shave with the feathers I might think they are worth it, but since I get a better shave with the personna's to me the feather's are expensive.

I tried Feathers and found that I got less irritation than Derbies because they cut my tough beard more efficiently. Since then I've tried more brands and so far I think I like Personna blue the best, but Feathers do the job quite well.

I don't know what all the fear is about. If your technique is awful and your skin hates Feathers, you'll get a bad shave. Maybe a really bad shave. You won't get some kind of injury that sends you to the hospital. You won't slip on a bloody floor while running for the bandages. You'll just have irritation and maybe more weepers than usual.

I tried feathers when I was new to wet shaving and they didn't cut me up any worse than my other early attempts with different blades. While they cut through my beard efficiently, they also were scratchy on my skin. I ended up going with Shark Platinums for about 100 blades and then gave the Feathers another go around. I basically had the same results, but with fewer weepers due to better technique. I found that now Astras are the best blade for me because they cut about as well as the Feathers, but don't feel scratchy while doing it. I definitely recommend you try Feathers though. They work very well for some people and it would be a shame to miss out on what could be your favorite blade just because it's a little sharper than the others.

Top Bottom