What's new

Cold water shave

I had better get to it if I am going to try a cold water shave...We don't have cold water in the summer in Arizona.
And forget about the cold water rinse to tighten up the pores ;-))

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I had better get to it if I am going to try a cold water shave...We don't have cold water in the summer in Arizona.
And forget about the cold water rinse to tighten up the pores ;-))

We are the same here in South Texas. When I say cold water I mean that I only turn on the "cold" spigot and not the hot.

I've cold water shaved for years, sometimes by choice sometimes by circumstances. I once swore that I would never again cold shave if I had a choice but I went back to it about 2 years ago and find I get a smoother shave.

I just finished my cold shave and I'm not really impressed. I think I'm going to stick to hot water, I don't like cold anyways.

I've given the cold shave a go. I was having trouble getting a good shave with some Shark blades with a hot shave, so I tried a cold shave and found it worked better. Stubble stood up nicely for the blade edge, and my skin was happy afterwards. That said, it took a lot more work to cut through the hairs and i took twice as many strokes and more scraping to get the same shave.

It's good to know that cold shaving works, and i'll be doing it if i'm camping or the bathroom's occupied, etc. But i enjoy the hot shave with full prep more.

I'd say that you can get the same quality shave either way as long as you have good prep and routine. Cold shave requires less prep and might be more forgiving on the face, but hot shave is far more pleasant.

I've been cold water shaving exclusively for more than a year.

My face Loves it.

This winter has been Freaking Cold, and, my hands don't really like it, so, I shoot some hot water on them, at times, during a shave.

For the cold water shavers....what kind of prep do you do? Do you still take a hot shower or steam towel your face? Or are we talking cold water rinse, cold lather and all?
Steam towels! No way. I take a hot shower but then cold water rinse and lather all the way.

Sometimes I switch up to warm shaves, but mostly it's whatever comes from the cold tap. I find the cool water soothing on my skin. In the winter the tap water can be ice cold here, so sometimes I mix in a little hot water so it isn't too brutal.

I tried cold water shaving then switched to hot water and an extensive prep as my technique seemed to improve. While this felt decadently wonderful and was a lovely ritual, after doing this I noticed an increase in weepers and irritation on almost every shave. Switching back to cold water and minimal prep is kinder to my skin and gives me smoother shaves. The interesting part is the audible feedback since you can actually hear the hair cutting during the pass.

I tried rinsing with cold water this morning and found it enjoyable. I still took a hot shower and did a hot towel prep but room temp lather and cold water razor rinse. Feeling the cold metal of the razor head immediately after the blade was refreshing. No nicks, cuts or irritation even on my neck. Will definitely try it again.

I've kept up the cold water shaving for a couple of weeks now and don't feel the need to go back to warm water shaves. That said, it is late summer here and still quite balmy. I might change my tune in a couple of months.

What temperature is the water? Only cold out of the tap or room temperature. Cold out of the tap this time of year is near freezing.

I remember being forced to an impromptu cold (and I mean freezing cold!) water shave when I was in a military camp in Sardinia. We had no choice as we had no running hot water. To say that the experience was highly unpleasant is an understatement.

Top Bottom