What's new

Dappen Dish

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I saw these Dappen Dishes for a dollar each. They were designed for dental use, but the manicurist use them extensively. My daughter likes to paint and I though they would be good to mix watercolors, maybe useful when using a dip pen.

$004.jpg

Then I saw these wood flooring samples for a quarter at Lowes, Brazilian Cherry.

$005.jpg

Hey, I have an idea...always dangerous. I removed the tongue and groove from the side, drilled out holes for the dishes, and put in a groove for the pen.

$006.jpg

I have no idea how practical this will be be, but I though it was cool looking regardless.:001_unsur

Last edited:
Those bring back memories; my dad was a dentist.
He kept a mild acid in them for etching teeth prepping them for a filling.

Interesting. That would be a great way to keep a dip pen on my desk at work. I see on amazon, there are even dappen dishes with lids. Hmmm... i have a thought comin' on.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Thanks for the comments guys. I picked up some powder ink to play with, and I may try to make a hinged lid...we will see.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Well, the dishes are a bit shallow for traditional dip pen usage, useless you use a smaller nib. It is a pain to transfer from bottle to dish then back to bottle, it is just more convenient to use the bottle. But they do work great to mix watercolors and acrylics.

Top Bottom