Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good, cheap'ish, easy to get aftershave?

Images

Default Good, cheap'ish, easy to get aftershave?

Okay, I'm not in a position to splurge at the moment, but I'm getting a bit bored with the aftershaves I have.

Right now I own Pinaud Clubman, and Aqua Velva Blue. I plan to pick up some Old Spice for a change.

What are some other nice aftershaves that are easy to get and won't break my budget?

Note on bay Rum: I've seen this available, but I'm a little concerned about going to work smelling like booze. Does it retain that alcohol smell on the skin?
    Brian

Default Hello Finnigan

I have had good luck with Nivea products and the Proraso aftershave balm. Nivea seems to be easy to find at any superstore or drugstore. I have only used the balms, not any type of alcohol splash, due to my hypersensitive skin.

Cheers

Rich

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Finnigan View Post
    Okay, I'm not in a position to splurge at the moment, but I'm getting a bit bored with the aftershaves I have.

Right now I own Pinaud Clubman, and Aqua Velva Blue. I plan to pick up some Old Spice for a change.

What are some other nice aftershaves that are easy to get and won't break my budget?

Note on bay Rum: I've seen this available, but I'm a little concerned about going to work smelling like booze. Does it retain that alcohol smell on the skin?

if you are referring to pinaud bay rum, smells much more like spices (cloves) than alcohol...

Images

Florida Water is cheap (~$4) and a great summer scent.
    Daniel

"Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it."
    -Soren Kierkegaard

Certified B&B Old Fogie

Steward of Shaving Creams

Images

Brut a/s with aloe and shea butter is very inexpensive, lasts a very long time, and works pretty darn good.
    Director of the B&B Stjynnkii Membörd Dummpsjterd.

Badger & Blade- the most reasonable place on Earth.

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

I'm a fan of the Nivea cooling ASB.

Images

Good stuff! Please keep them coming.

Ouch, I had been considering the Brut. Is that the a/s splash that has aloe and shea butter?

I haven't tried a balm yet either.
    Brian

Images

Don't worry about bay rum scent's lingering. I don't think there are many Bay Rum products, if any at all, whose scent sticks around.

If you Like Aqua Velva Classic, try the Sport Ice and Musk scents.

Old Spice is another inexpensive classic.

Also, you talking alcohol based splashes, alcohol-free splashes, or balms?

Along the non alcoholic route is stuff like Witchazel (all kinds of varieties and scents) and corn huskers lotion.

Along the alcohol-ased route there are the Booster products - Alcohol burn, some nice stuff for your skin (folks say not as good on the skin as AV) and a HUGE variety of scents.

Happy hunting!
    Cheers, Dave

I have never had a bay rum smell like alcohol. It shouldn't be a problem.
    Tony :c2:

I believe that, as long as there is plenty, poverty is evil.
    - Robert Kennedy

"“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”"
    - Jack Kerouac

if you like alcohol based splashes, I really like the Adidas line, and they are inexpensive. Smell before you buy, YMMV with all scents.

Brut splash just has a little glycerin and castor oil to moisturise- no shea butter of anything. Works just fine, I like it.
    You could look out for Tabac, it's inexpensive, but it's excellent stuff. I mean really good.

Not so cheap but the anthony logistics ASB is absolutely amazing.

Images

Hey... I like Florida Water too! I once even found it at WalMart in the ethnic hair and shave product section. I've never seen it since I bought my bottle on sale for $2.00
    [B]~Perry[/B]
    [B]Razors:[/B] 1961 Gillette "Fat Boy" G1, 1964 "Slim" Adjustable, '31-51 "Brownie Type"
    [B]Blades:[/B] Gillette or Israeli blades
    [B]Brushes:[/B] BurmaShave-boar, Van Der Hagen-boar, Progress Vulfix-badger
    [B]Cream: [/B]Williams, Proraso, Col. Conk
    [B]After Shave:[/B] Pinaud's Clubman Original, Lime Sec, Old Spice, Bay Rum, Florida Water
    I confess... I'm a "[COLOR="purple"][B][FONT="Impact"][FONT="Arial Black"]Lilac[/FONT][/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR="green"][B][FONT="Impact"][FONT="Arial Black"]Vegetarian[/FONT][/FONT][/B][/COLOR]":blushing:
    [B][COLOR="Blue"]Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." [/COLOR][/B] - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by scoopster View Post
    Don't worry about bay rum scent's lingering. I don't think there are many Bay Rum products, if any at all, whose scent sticks around.

If you Like Aqua Velva Classic, try the Sport Ice and Musk scents.

Old Spice is another inexpensive classic.

Also, you talking alcohol based splashes, alcohol-free splashes, or balms?

Along the non alcoholic route is stuff like Witchazel (all kinds of varieties and scents) and corn huskers lotion.

Along the alcohol-ased route there are the Booster products - Alcohol burn, some nice stuff for your skin (folks say not as good on the skin as AV) and a HUGE variety of scents.

Happy hunting!
    Corn Huskers does have alcohol

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafikz View Post
    Corn Huskers does have alcohol
    Thanks for the clarification rafikz!
    Cheers, Dave

Images

This may have been mentioned by others, but I really like Thayer's Lemon and my new favorite is the Ogallala line of bay rums (the only bay rums that I really like, btw). The lime peppercorn is particularly nice, but for more staying power, try the bay rum cologne. But, I'll usually let the AS wear off and put on a proper cologne anyhow.
    -- Richard, Czar of Cheddar

Images

AV

Images

get yourself some green Skin Bracer by Mennen. A classic, good basic after shave. Cheap as heck and available EVERYWHERE.
    -Stanley

RIP CITY Baby!

Images

Well, I went to the local drug store with the intent of purchasing some Old Spice, but all they had were the larger bottles. Instead I picked up AV Musk, and I quite like it! It reminds me of Stetson(sp?).

I did see the Skin Bracer there and considered it, but I was a bit turned off to it. I hate to admit it, but it was the packaging. I mean, could it get any uglier and cheaper looking?

I don't mean to sound like a snob, and I was looking for lower priced products, but Mennen's packaging just SCREAMS dollar store. When it is sitting next to AV in a glass bottle with a nice painted logo for about the same price, I must admit I grabbed the AV first.

I suppose you could flip the coin and think maybe what AV spends on packaging, Mennen might spend on product. Don't get me wrong, I intend to try it, but the wrapper was a turn off.
    Brian