What's new

Fusion vs. DE

I've been a die hard DE shaver for several years now with my go to set up a Merkur Slant with with either Astra or Feather blades. With good prep and lather this gives me a great shave with two passes and BBS with three. On a recent four day business trip I decided to try my old Fusion with vibrating handle to see how it compares now that I have become so enamored with DE. I was surprised at how low the Fusion scored.

The Fusion shaved better without vibration turned on. Definitely needed two passes to get same results of my two pass DE shave so no advantage to the high priced cartridge. Shaving around my nose is much easier with DE vs. the Fusion.

My allegiance to DE shaving remains strong.

When I was tired of my electric I tried the Fusion. Never liked the vibration and could not get it under my nose. I could never get the right angle to use the trimmer blade on the back. Glad I found this site and a good DE :)

Scott

I'm out of fusion carts but I may do a side by side with a hydro 5 cart that I still have around on of these days.

I've never had good results going ATG with any cart and certainly not the hydro so I'm sure the DE will win in that case but I am interested to see how the cart after 1 pass compares to a DE after 2.

I won't be swayed back anyway, but it's fun to test things.

I've never understood vibration in those. I'm sure it's engineered so it doesn't turn your face into ground meat, but I can only imagine it making the 5 blades slice your skin endlessly. When I got a free sample Fusion Proglide I refused to install the battery and tried it sans vibration.

My experience differs from yours. I get a much better shave from my Fusion than I do from my DE. I threw my Gillette Black Beauty Slim years ago after years of un-use. Getting involved here prompted me to buy another, but shaving with it again only reminded me of all the reasons I quit using it all those years ago. And for me, the Fusion works best with power.

Most recently I have been using a Schick Quattro and find it to work as well or better than the Fusion, even though it doesn't have a power option.

When I shaved with the fusion, the vibration worked well when I had more than a few days growth. Other than that, it really didn't make a difference.

I love the way it reduces my beard, fast.... Hate how I get ingrowns and red marks all over my neck with it. Gillette should hire me to test there new razors out to make sure a razor can shave my face without irritation

I find the vibration useless but can't lie the fusion gives me the best shave possible. I do have very sensitive rosacea prone skin and the multiple passes of the DE were definitely an aggravating factor. My Cobra can get close to a Fusion but does not take the cake.

I have all the Mach 3 and fusion variations at one time or another. I found that the regular Mach 3 did the best for me. The fusion while shaves well gave me some serious irritation and ingrown hairs on my troubled neck. I have gotten my most comfortable shaves with a double edge razor. Not necessarily the closest but the most comfortable. I am hoping the att Kronos will be both.

You can get it under your nose. . . you just have to shave the underside of your nose too. Not bad if you have long nose hairs!!! BTW I'm still a dedicated DE shaver.

I get the closest shaves with the Fusion Proglide, although I love my DE's I still use the Fusion if I want a BBS.

I can get almost as close of a shave with a fusion as I can with a de but the irritation is far worse from the fusion, a merkur with a red personna gives me no irritation

Fusion was worst thing in my life. Leave me with lots of ingrown hairs and stuff. But i am thankful for him, because after that disappointment i found DE shaving!

I cannot really understand how people can shave with a Fusion. That cartridge looks so large and clumsy!

But obviously they can ... Gillette cannot sell on marketing alone.

Personally I get the best shave with a Fusion and even though I don't see any difference in the closeness of the shave I like the vibrating handle. My personal experience is I get a closer shave and less irritation with the fusion than a DE blade. So most of the time I use the fusion. The cost of blades is a small factor at the end of the year compared with all the AD's I seem to periodically get.

Top Bottom