What's new

Best De Blades out on the market

I'm glad I bought sample packs of 5-10. There are a lot of good ones and also a lot of differences. My favorites are: Feather, Kai, Personna Med Prep, Astra and Polsilver Super Iridiums.

For me, Feathers are the tops. If I can't use them, I prefer Derbys and Sharks to the other brands. I also like Personna hair shaper blades in the shavettes that accommodate them.

I am fairly new, about 3 months in, and went thru about a dozen blades before I found that I love Polsilver SI's and very much like Rapira Platinum Lux, Rapira Swedish Steels and Voskhods. Bottom line is you have to go thru a bunch of blades to see what works best for your face. Get a sampler pack and work your way thru it.

I would say the majority of the Russian made blades are excellent. So yes Astra, Polsilver SI, Gillette Silver Blue, Vokshods, Perma Sharp and Nacet.
I also really like Treet Platinum blades which are very cheap and made in Pakistan. I find them amazingly smooth.
Basically like the other guys said YMMV but grab a sampler pack. I like too many blades to nail it down to just one manufacturer.
Though I find the Merkur blades to be pretty bad personally.

It;s impossible to tell. Everybody has a different face, hair growth and shaving technique. The only way to find out is to use a blade sampler. For the only the sharpest blades work: Permasharp and the Feathers.

The best blades are the ones that are sharp enough to cut all of your beard right down to the skin, without even feeling it...leaving you with skin that is smoother and cooler than an oiled Fonzie on ice. If you find some blades like that, I will take one or two.

Blades are a very individual thing. Someone's least favorite might be someone else's favorite and vice versa. I've done well in sticking to the more popular blades, but I have still found very well liked blades that didn't work for me. Best advice is to purchase a sampler or choose some single packs before you commit to buying a large number of any blade. If you don't like a particular blade, just put it aside and try it in your next razor as blades can also be terrible in one razor and great in another.

I've tried a lot of blades and prefer a very sharp blade. These are my favorites in no particular order:
Gillette Silver Blue
Polsilver Super Iridium
Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow
Feather
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black

These seem to be very well thought of as well:
Personna Med Prep
Personna Labs
Astra SP
Voskhov
Kai

These seem to be generally not very well thought of:
Derby
Merkur
Dorco
7 AM

There are literally hundreds more to choose from.

Good luck.

In my Gillette Fatboy I like a Gillette 7 o'clock yellow. In my Merkur 37c slant I like Astra SP. My EJ89 works well with both of those blades, plus Bic and Shark. The EJ is pretty mild, which may be why I'm less picky about the blade I put in it.

It's probably been said but we must remember there is no "best" of anything. There are favorites, suggestions, and preferred blades. That's my 2 cents. The usual top vote-getters are listed. I heartily recommend:

Good all-around quality and value:
Personna Super ("Labs")
Astra Superior Platinum

Maybe better but more expensive:
Polsilver SI
Gillette 7OC black
Perma-Sharp

And of course... Feather.

It's probably been said but we must remember there is no "best" of anything. There are favorites, suggestions, and preferred blades. That's my 2 cents. The usual top vote-getters are listed. I heartily recommend:

Good all-around quality and value:
Personna Super ("Labs")
Astra Superior Platinum

Maybe better but more expensive:
Polsilver SI
Gillette 7OC black
Perma-Sharp

And of course... Feather.

I'll have to give the Perma-Sharp blades a try.
I've seen some other praise for them recently as well.

One more point I'd like to make, preferences do change. My first go with a Feather left me very raw skinned and razor burned. This was in a Merkur HD. I later ordered a vintage Super Speed and decided to try a Feather in it. Completely different experience. Felt like there wasn't a blade in the razor. Shaved great. This was several months after I started with the DE, and now regret getting rid of the 3 or 4 packs I had of Feathers. My advice, hold on to'em, even the ones that left you unsatisfied...

mswofford

Rest in Peace
My experience is with only three kinds:Family Dollar, made in South Korea so they are probably Dorco
Astra SP
Feather
The Dorcos are okay, I keep some around in case I run out.
I use Astra SP, which come with a Weber razor
And I use Feather

My current favourites are Souplex, Astra/Gillette, Personna. Although actually I found that if you got your technique down the difference between (the more well-known) blades isn't that large. One exception is the Feather -- I'm too inept to shave with that without cutting myself up.

Top Bottom