What's new

DE Blades Seem Better on Second Shave!

Hello Gents!
Is it just me, or have others found that you actually get a smoother shave with a blade on its second or third use?
I am shaving with a Gillette 7 o'clock right now. Yesterday (first shave), I went two passes and had some irritation, one nick and a few weepers. Today (second shave) I went four passes and had no irritation, nicks or weepers!
I have tried almost a dozen different blades, and this seems to happen with most of them.
Have any of you had a similar experience?
Bob

I think all but the dullest blades are better on the second and third shaves.

To mitigate the harshness of the first shave somewhat, you can palm strop the blade about 5 times each edge before loading it up for the first time. Makes the first shave feel kind of like the second shave.

On some blades, perhaps not especially sharp ones, I've liked the first shave the best. However, using the 7 o'clock black in my open comb razor, the first shave wasn't bad, but the second was like butter.

To mitigate the harshness of the first shave somewhat, you can palm strop the blade about 5 times each edge before loading it up for the first time. Makes the first shave feel kind of like the second shave.

I have my own idea of what this is but could you(or anyone) explain the 'palm strop' in a little more detail ?
Thx. much

I get that a lot with Astras. I will usually strop a new blade on my jeans or on my palm to remedy this. You could also cork the blade. I haven't tried it yet though.

I have my own idea of what this is but could you(or anyone) explain the 'palm strop' in a little more detail ?
Thx. much
You just stroke the blade, still in the razor, across your palm the opposite direction you would if you were shaving -- but with longer and rather firmer strokes.

What the gut above me said. I have that with the Astra's. Now I have switched over to Permasharp and Feather I never noticed this. I don't like the Astra's anymore.

I think all but the dullest blades are better on the second and third shaves.

+1

Thx. much

Sure.

Remove the blade from the wrapper. Hold it between your right thumb and forefinger (if you are right handed) just on the right side of the slit in the middle of the blade. Bring your left palm up so it is close to the aforementioned blade. Run the blade very lightly and rapidly over the fat part of the side of the left hand on the pinky finger side, pulling the blade from left to right (so it doesn't cut you). (You do this like you are honing a chef's knife.) Pull it across 5 or 6 times.
Then, carefully turn the blade over and do it again. Then, switch the blade so the other side is ready to buff. Pull if 5 or 6 times across the palm, carefully turn it over, and do it again.
There are FOUR cutting surfaces to be stropped.

Then, put the blade in your favorite razor and proceed with your shave.

It only takes about a minute once you get the hang of it.

Top Bottom