What's new

Was your (grand) dad a wet-shaver?

My dad, a lifelong Italian hardcore wet-shaver, for as long as I can remember always used a Merkur, Wilkinson razor blades, a Kingsley boar brush, a tube of Palmolive Classic Shaving Cream and Old Spice aftershave.

I remember my grand dad on my mom's side to the best of my memory used a straight edge razor, a generic boar brush and Prep Original shaving cream or some cheap random generic powdered shaving soap he used to buy at the only pharmacy in a small coastal town in Central Italy.

Both were face latherers. I wish I had kept some of their shaving supplies after they passed on. The old timers had it all figured out.

Last edited:
I don't recall see my grandfathers shave but I think I can recall seeing their shave mugs and brushes. I think I can even recall seeing Arko sitting on the shelf my my paternal grandfathers bathroom shelf. I do certainly recall my dad's shave mug and brush. Thinking about that sometime last year was a motivator that got me into traditional wet shaving.

Thats is what prompted me to return to DE shaving after a lapse of 35 years. On a trip to my mothers house (out of state) I noticed an old shave mug and brush set out as a "decoration". Upon asking about it I was told that it was originally my Grandfathers and that my Dad had used it too earlier in life. Looking closer at the mug I noticed an inscription on the bottom in my long gone Grandmothers handwriting that said "Dad Thompson - 1936". Knowing my Grandmothers penchant for marking things I would say the date is accurate. My mother made them both a gift to me after seeing my interest. After that the "Acquisition Disorder" raised it's ugly head and here I am now.... excuse me gotta check the B/S/T thread... I know how quick you gentlemen snag up the good stuff! :laugh:

Of course. He was born in the late 1800's and died in 1978. I'm certain he used nothing but a brush, soap and DE razor. I inherted an unopened glass bottle of Lilac Vegetal that was in his bathroom. I still use it sparingly.

Both were. And my paternal grandfather was a barber during the day (he held other jobs at night) so it was his profession to be a wet shaver. My dad was a wet shaver for a while but transitioned to cartridges as the market changed. I remember all of them having various Gillette TTO razors in their medicine cabinets.

Both my grandfathers were DE wet shavers. I remember watching my maternal grandpa lathering up in a large white mug with a black "L" on it (his name was Lyle). My Mom still has that mug. I'm currently using his WW2 Canadian Tech as my daily shaver. My other grandpa left me his razor and brush as well, but try as I might I can't find them anywhere. I'm thinking that I probably tossed them years ago when moving from one house to another, thinking I'd probably never use them. My father-in-law recently gave me his British Aristocrat #66 and best badger brush, which I also use. Both will be handed down to my sons when the time comes.

Cheers!
K

Used to watch one of my grandfathers shave with a straight razor. Fascinating to a young kid. Dad was a DE guy.

My grandfather bought a 1934 Aristocrat in either San Francisco or Vancouver before the war. He was a captain on board his own freight ship going across the globe.

Later on I remember playing with the razor with my brother and our neighbors son when I was about 8. Obviously we hid the Aristocrat in the neighbors garage some 46 years ago. My brother got hold of the razor by coincidence last year and had it replated. I received the razor as a birthday gift this december.

It's this one:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't remember my Grandad but I do remember my Dad with Shaving Sticks, Razor Blades and bits of tissue stuck to his chin.

I have no recollection of my Grandfathers shaving as they both passed away in the mid to late seventies. However, my Father shaved with an injector until he grew a beard.
I had no idea, what razor he was using then, as all adverts were for Contour's (Atra's) and Sensors at the time.

My grandfather had some DE's for sure. He had a couple gillette adjustables, and TTO as well as a little plastic travel DE shaver the top snapped down on. He also had an odd pair of manual trimmers that were for basically "man-scaping" before they had electric ones. Looked like pliers with the clipper ends on it.

Mine was shaving with cartridges the last few years. Before he was DE shaver and I have his '58 TV-SPECIAL Rocket in my rotation. After 55 years its still as new. He has passed away 30 years ago and I still miss him.

My grandfather bought a 1934 Aristocrat in either San Francisco or Vancouver before the war. He was a captain on board his own freight ship going across the globe.

Later on I remember playing with the razor with my brother and our neighbors son when I was about 8. Obviously we hid the Aristocrat in the neighbors garage some 46 years ago. My brother got hold of the razor by coincidence last year and had it replated. I received the razor as a birthday gift this december.

It's this one:

Oh, my. That is just spectacular! Completely awesome razor.

My grandfather on my mother's side shaved with a Superspeed; I know because I cut my finger on it when I was a wee lad messing around with it without his knowledge. I have no idea if my paternal grandfather was a wetshaver.

Of course. He was born in the late 1800's ...
Same for both of my grandfathers. Both would have become teenagers about the time that King Gillette introduced his first DE, so they probably started with straights due to limited market penetration in the hinterlands. Both were key men in critical industries during WWI, but one finally did get drafted late in the war. He probably switched to a DE when the army issued him one. Some of my earliest memories of them include them shaving with electric razors in the late 1960's.

By the same logic, my great-grandfathers were all straight razor users. I have and use the shaving mug my paternal grandfather's father was using at the time of his death.

Pretty sure both my grandfathers would have used DEs, and my dad certainly did. Thinking back I'm pretty sure it was a TTO Gillette, but not an adjustable -- maybe a Rocket. He also used Wilkinson Sword blades, Floris soap and a Kent brush. Wish I had some of his gear.

It's this one:

Wonderful story and a fantastic looking razor.

Top Bottom