What's new

Was your (grand) dad a wet-shaver?

I never saw my grandpa shave but my mother told me that he used to shave with a DE, thats the only thing they had. My father used to shave with a DE razor, I remember this as a kid in the early 90ties. Later he used to shave with a TrackII and with his DE razor. Too bad he passed away a couple years ago I really would like to shave with him and see what he got to say about DE shaving.

If I have kids one day I will teach them how to shave with a DE razor, to me this is the best shaving experience a man can get. All the other shaving methods (electric, cartridge) are just crap compared to DE.

my grandfather was a straight shaver, i doubt he ever used anything else.
My father was a DE shaver but now he's using cartridges... he's 86, his hands are not what used to be.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Of course he was. My father also is, I am and hope one day my son will be, too.

I'm sure one of my (great)grandfathers dabbled in DE shaving as I have his old slant and travel kit, and we even found a straight somewhere. One still wetshaves, but just with a 2-blade cartridge and water. My other grandpa used an electric for as long as I can remember.
My father had maybe one DE shave, hated it and moved on to using cartridges and a cheap boar brush, and has used Vergulde Hand shave sticks for over 20 years.

My father used a DE and Barbasol until the 70's. He switched to electric razors and disposable Trac II's and used those until he died. His father used a DE and water. My maternal grandfather used a DE, soap and brush until he was stricken with Parkinson's disease. Then my grandmother would use the same DE Razor and Gillette Foamy lemon-lime and shave him everyday until his death. As a side note, both grandmothers and my mom used their husbands DE razors to shave their legs until disposables became popular. I remember my dad and mom "discussing" sharing the razor.

Hi,

My Dad's Dad used a straight. I have it still.

My Mom's Dad had a 1920s Old Type. I have it still, and use it once in a while.

Dad had an Early Tech which became mine in 1976 at age 15. I use it quite often.

He also had one of the first Super Speeds. I have it still, too. My wife uses it.

Dad used a Late Tech from the early 60s until the day he passed. It sits in the same place at Mom's for when I stay overnight there.

Stan

Grandad? Yes, my paternal grandfather passed away before I was born, but we still have his open comb. My maternal grandfather, I'm not so sure. My Dad gave me a Schick injector M adjustable, and I've returned the favor by getting him back into wet shaving. I never saw my Dad lather up a puck or cream, though. We as a canned goo guy for as long as I've known him. I gave him a puck of VDH Deluxe and a Boar brush last month. We're slowly getting him back...

Of course he was. My father also is, I am and hope one day my son will be, too.

Marco, I know your wonderful story (a highly recommended read). We share a lot of things, including the region in Italy where I lived and you currently do, the same first name and God knows how many other things! My question was actually inspired by your story. :thumbup1:

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco, I know your wonderful story (a highly recommended read). We share a lot of things, including the region in Italy where I lived and you currently do, the same first name and God knows how many other things! :)

Thank you for the kind words Sir. Of course, if you desire, feel free to add your name in your profile, right in your signature. Marco is a very common name here in Italy (for our B&B friends), but I think it's also beautiful.

P.S. When Marco here PMed me we only spoke in Italian and now this is the first time we speak in English together. Isn't B&B the most fantastic place in the World? Of course it is!

I never knew my grandparents but my dad wet shaved. I have the two Superspeeds that used to be his.

My grandad at 70+ now uses a Fatboy that I acquired for him, having converted him in 2013. He always used a brush and soap but had been cartridge shaving for as long as I can remember.
My grandad, who died age 59, in 2006, was a cartridge shaver, brush and soap again, but one I never had the opportunity to convert.
My dad is converted and uses either his birth year black handle SS i got him, a cream bakelite souplex or a Merkur 39C.

The men are back on course.

Yes, my grandfather was a wet shaver. He died in 1960. Last time I was at my parents house I came across my grandfather's old 1949 Gillette super speed razor (still in the case with the last blade he used still in it). I know it was not my father's because my mom did not recognize it when I showed it to her. I don't know why my father kept his father's razor and never used it but I am glad he did :001_smile

My grandfather's 49 super speed is the one on the left in the red case (lots of miles/shaves on it, i.e. not a cream puff but it's a KEEPER)

proxy.php

My dad commented when he saw me shaving with a super speed that it was exactly like the one he used when he was young so he used to wet shave.

To be honest though, I don't remember seeing him shave with anything other than electric razors so it must have been a long time ago.

My paternal grandfather died long before I was born but I seem to remember my maternal grandfather shaving with a straight razor.

I know for a fact that both my father and paternal grandfather were wetshavers. I even have a straight that my grandfather may have made himself. It's ugly as sin, even after being cleaned up. I think it's made out of a leaf spring from a car- my father has a butcher knife that we know was made like this by his father, and it is wicked sharp. Having it honed now, so I'll have to see how it shaves. My father used to use a SuperSpeed when he was young, but he has had a full beard ever sine high school and used carts to trim it, so he may not even remember how.

My paternal grandfather used a straight edge razor into his 80's. Still remember the sound of his strop, brush in his shaving bowl and the smell of Old Spice aftershave. Just found out my dad has two of grandpa's razors, one for me, and one for my brother. My son recently introduced me to DE wet shaving will get mine with instructions to pass on to his son.

I assume that my grandpa wet shaved but I don't talk to him enough to talk to him about it. he also has a hard time understanding what im talking about most of the time. his English isn't great and neither is my Spanish lol

Mine was a straight shaver, he died in '62 (or '63). We still had an outhouse then and he used to shave at the kitchen table with a pan of water and a mirror.

My Dad and paternal grandfather used electric razors (Norelcos). My maternal grandfather used a straight and then a DE. I don't have or remember which DE it was. But I do have this:

Grandpa's straight. 5/8 Wade and Butcher:

Attachments

• 33 KB · Views: 26
Top Bottom