What's new

Manual grinders for coffee, what are my options?

So my grinder has the screw pattern where the screws are roughly 120 and 60 degrees apart, with the second set exactly opposite.

Er...OK, ascii art away!

.....x...HARIO...x.....
0............O............0
.....x...............x.....

So crude...hope this helps. The other hole pattern appears to be 90 degrees apart all the way around...I think.

The 0 is a punch hole for some reason in manufacturing, it is not used. The x's are the screws, and O is the shaft.

In any case, the lower bearing kit linked above in Turtle's post fit like a charm. Hand in glove even. The torque on the burr to the center shaft is low so I used needle nose pliers.

At the same setting, counting notches from fully closed made for a finer grind. I am using 6 notches from fully tightened, with fully tightened being 0.

The coffee from the burr does taste better.

Phil

Last edited:
I just bought the " PEUGEOT BRESIL " : not sure-- How to Properly adjust the Grinding Sizes---the tiny Manual is UNclear...: perhaps,--someone could Instruct me---Re. Adjusting the Grind---on the " PEUGEOT BRESIL "--?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just bought the " PEUGEOT BRESIL " : not sure-- How to Properly adjust the Grinding Sizes---the tiny Manual is UNclear...: perhaps,--someone could Instruct me---Re. Adjusting the Grind---on the " PEUGEOT BRESIL "--?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What will you be using to brew with? Drip? Auto? Press? Espresso? Turkish? All require a different grind.

What will you be using to brew with? Drip? Auto? Press? Espresso? Turkish? All require a different grind.

Mostly---Espresso & Turkish, occasionaly---drip, french press & (for) Vacuum pot....

I tried lifting the Lever, rotating the Adjustment Wheel back--and--forth--without visible results...

my " Bresil'--seems to be " Type--B " ( without cover : the Tiny manual--says : for Type " B'---rotate the Adjusting wheel ^^COUNTER^^--clockwise--for Finer Grind, Clock-wise--for Coarser.....

I bought " PEUGEOT BRESIL " ~~ 1/2--week ago ( from the " CREATIVE Coffee " ) : tiny Manual--saying " for the Type "B" Grinder ( i.e.--without the Cover on top )--turn the Adjustment Wheel "" COUNTER--clockwise" : I tried , adjusting wheel--turning--but No (visible) Results...: I MOSTLY bought the " BRESIL"--for Turkish &(some) Espresso...: is there Any Place ( Toronto //Area)--that could teach//show me--How properly to Use my Brand--new " PEUGEOT BRESIL "--??

I have had the Hario Skerton for a year-plus now. I have been happy with it.

Generally I use a medium-coarse grind for everything I brew (drip, pourover, even moka pot - seems to work better than a traditional espresso grind), so I basically set it and forget it.

I think the Hario works the same as the Peugot. At least the pictures look about the same.

Loosen and remove the handle nut and handle.
remove the locking washer that engages the notched wheel
adjust the notched wheel **
replace the locking washer so it engages the flat on the shaft and a position in the notched wheel
replace the handle and nut
tighten the nut, most likely hard finger tight - no tool to assemble.

**To set the grind, compare to store ground that brews in a manner you like and make a grind similar.

One way to make the settings reproducible is to gently tighten the notched wheel all the way. Note a flat on the shaft, and a notch or lobe on the wheel. Count notches as you back the notched wheel off.

On my Hario 6 notches is exactly 1 full turn loosened from fully tightened. This is probably as good of a starting point as anywhere else for your Peugeot. Grind a small amount of coffee and see how it is.

If your grinder is not built the way I think, then these instructions might be wrong.

Good to see that you have gotten the adjuster moving, maybe it was getting locked down tight along with your handle nut or considering that this was a new grinder, maybe there was small metal burr on the shaft creating extra friction.

Top Bottom