What's new

Best pipe lighter?

I am tired of using a box I have zippos but those are a no go unless I have an insert. What is the best pipe lighter in your opinion? Also good tamps? Any recommendations?

You could most likely send your zippo in and get the pipe insert for free. I did it (to a zippo factory in Japan) and they did it for free. Maybe try looking for one in Germany.

+1 to sending in a Zippo for the insert. Matches are never a bad choice (or is that what you meant by "box"?) Xikar is a very reputable brand as well, their Pipeline series has a tamper tool built in. You can't go wrong with the old-fashioned Czech tool as a tamper, but anything with some weight and a broad, flat head can work. It's more technique than tool, IMO.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
For outside use, Zippo reigns supreme. Send them your lighter and they will install a pipe insert and return the original insert for free. Love my Old Boy, but outdoors Zippo beats them all.

Another recommendation for the IM Corona Old Boy. Are they expensive? Yes. Are they beautiful, well built, and flawless in their function? In my opinion, yes! I spent the money for one and haven't regretted it for a second. I also use a Zippo (with pipe insert) and matches from time to time. All work wonderfully. If you're on a budget, definitely look into having your Zippo converted. It's free and works great.

You can get a thunderbird butane insert for your zippo that works really nice. The Famous IMCO pipe lighters work great and are really cheap. But, I use my Old Boy most of all, it's what a lighter should be.

When I read the title instantly thought zippo, then saw you said you had no insert. Instantly thought you can send it in but that has been said a thousand times already (it's free, only pay shipping to them) But really look into it, I love my zippo!

I HATE matches, too difficult and you have to be carful of the burnt end falling into the bowl! Or it could just be me.

i have not tried an old corona but definitely want to!!

Bics ca get it lit quick but burns too hot for me and can damage your pipe, plus you look like a stoner lighting a pipe up HAHA!!

Hard to beat a Corona Old Boy - you CAN buy an insert for a Zippo but it's almost the same price as a new lighter - Xikar has their "Pipeline Lighter" that has their lifetime guarantee, so .... ???

I would really like to have a Corona Old Boy, but only for use indoors as I would be too worried about losing it if it were my EDC lighter.

My Zippo works really well. Mine has been going for years. As has been said, Zippo will replace the insert for free. I am thinking about doing that with one I found in the parkinglot. See my comment above about fearing losing an Old Boy...

If you want to make a Zippo type pipe lighter instead of sending your to the factory, or if you start with a knock off, just drill a hole through the side of your lighter's chimney. It's best to back up the sheet metal with wood before doing the drilling or things get ugly. Then fabricate a simple top to the chimney. If you've seen a Zippo pipe lighter up close you will get the idea.

Usually I find butane jet lighters to be a bad idea. In my hands they will always scorch the top of my pipes. Soft flame butane is OK, if it throws a big enough flame.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I sent two of my zippos in to get pipe inserts and have the hing fixed on one. Everything came back looking great about 3 weeks later. Great service and quicker than expected.

$sweating-pipe-hd-0407-de.jpg?

Top Bottom