What's new

Tobacquisitions for February 2014

Received my PipesAndCigars.com International Pipe Smoking Day order. I could call it horribly irresponsible spending, a good investment, or an incredible value for my money.

On the right, my order:
  • 3 pounds of Best Of The Rest. Smells good.
  • Early Morning Pipe
  • 3 Oaks Syrian - tin is dinged at the bottom. Any ideas how to examine it to see if the damage is only the tin? (Edit: Got a better look at it, it's just bent, I don't see any indication of breakage.)
  • Frog Morton
  • Jacknife Plug
  • A ton of BJ Long pipe cleaners in different varieties
  • Pipe tool that came free with the Dunhill EMP
  • Medico, Grabow, and Savinelli filters. (A piece of tobacco in my mouth ruins my smoke so I use filters.)

On the left, International Pipe Smoking Day Goodie Bag:
  • Edward G. Robinson Blend (tin)
  • Molto Dolce (tin)
  • Captain Black Dark
  • 2oz Newminster Danish Black
  • 1.5oz Mac Baren Virginia No. 1 Ready Rubbed
  • .5oz H&H Marquee (doesn't specify which Marquee blend it is though -- any guesses?)
  • Small sample of Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation 1897
  • Classy pipe tool that came in a classy package
  • Capri pipe cleaners
  • MM "The Huck Finn" with some kind of basket screen
  • Plaid tobacco mat (Edit: Got a better look at it, it's a pouch...I didn't unwrap it far enough the first time.)

proxy.php

Last edited:
My IPSD gift to myself was delivered today! Taking advantage of 10% off I bought my first pipe from the internet. With my order qualifying for free shipping, I threw in a few things to go with the pipe.
$image.jpg

My IPSD gift to myself was delivered today! Taking advantage of 10% off I bought my first pipe from the internet. With my order qualifying for free shipping, I threw in a few things to go with the pipe.
View attachment 417178

Very nice! I did the 10% off deal because PipesandCigars doesn't ship to Japan. I really like smokingpipes and have always had a great experience with them.

That's a very nice pipe and I also go some of the bullseye. Excited for the both of us (well it's my first time with the bulleye)

I just looked up best of the rest and they should just call it everything! Look at the ingredients:
Cigar Leaf, Maryland, Burley, Cavendish, Kentucky, Virginia, Black Cavendish, Perique, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Oriental/Turkish

I can only imagine what that tastes like. Cap., you gotta give us a review on that!

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Received an Upshall-made Astley's lovat with cumberland stem today. Lovely pipe.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393298326.727843.jpg

Good lord Captaincaveman...that is a cellar for some people! :thumbup:

Did you think I was kidding about irresponsible spending? :laugh:

That whole load came in for $103.

I just looked up best of the rest and they should just call it everything! Look at the ingredients:
Cigar Leaf, Maryland, Burley, Cavendish, Kentucky, Virginia, Black Cavendish, Perique, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Oriental/Turkish

I can only imagine what that tastes like. Cap., you gotta give us a review on that!

I bought it to enjoy now (and keep my budget under control), of course, but also to store as a hedge against my tax worries as I described in that tax/storage thread.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/382568-Taxes-and-bulk-tobacco-storage

I found out about it from user Domminigan in last month's Tobacquisitions.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...itions-for-January-2014?p=5798241#post5798241

Kilroy6644 smokes it daily and likes it:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-The-Day-(POTD)/page180?p=5931422#post5931422

I had asked one of them about it and was told that usually it's all mixed thoroughly, but sometimes it comes layered like rock strata. I had hoped to receive the latter format but did not.

Of course it's bound to be different each time you get it. The three bags I got appear and smell the same though I haven't given them a good close-up comparison yet or smoked any. They have a delicious slightly vanilla melange scent in the bag...melange is exactly what you'd expect, and it sounds questionable but it really smells great. Whether or not the three in this delivery are identical, I expect a future delivery would NOT be identical to this delivery.

The day after I ordered a scary thought struck me. I hate anise/black licorice, and I have one tobacco (which I will PIF soon) that has a slight scent/very slight flavor of it that just ruins it for me. What if there was a hint of that in my BOTR? Luckily there is not, but from now on if I find myself ordering again (yeah right, I think I blew two years worth of budget) I'm going to only order one pound per order to limit my gamble.

My order showed up today from P&C. The IPSD grab bag was the same as reported by Captain cave man. Interestingly, I also received a damaged tin. Mine was HH vintage Syrian. The seal doesn't appear to be compromised. The pipe tool is really nice. It feels great in the hand. I'm not much of an aromatic smoker but I'll give them a shot. Surprisingly, I really like the MM Huck Finn. It's a neat little pipe. The bowl is small, but it has allowed me to try 3 different tobaccos in the time it would have taken to smoke a single bowl of even my smallest briar. All in all, the package was really nice and exceeded my expectations.

I am closing out the month with a good sized order, enough to provide me some unfettered enjoyment once the warm weather returns.

Tinned Tobacco
1 tin SG Best Brown Flake 50g

Bulk Tobacco
1 lbs McClelland #5125 - Coyote Classic
1 lbs McClelland #5110 - Dark English
1 lbs Peter Stokkebye #38 Highland Whiskey

Cigars:
2 ea Diesel Salomon 6-Cigar Sampler Diesel Salomon Sampler
2 ea Padron Magnum Maduro
2 ea Liga Privada No. 9 by Drew Estate Double Corona

Accessories
3 ea Pipe Wind Covers
5 pks Rubber Pipe Bit (2/pack)
3 ea Plastic Folding Pipe Stand

I'm enjoying it now. Unfortunately I am afflicted with sinus congestion today so I can't properly enjoy or review it...except to say this: Given that I can't taste much of anything, I would feel bad smoking something that's $8 for 1.5oz, but I sure don't mind smoking something that's $15 for a pound.

I'll have to smoke it again soon when I can taste. With the little bit of taste/smell ability I have, I find it quite agreeable. Wife likes the room note, but that's pretty universal anyway.

It seems to have good smoking mechanics. It burns nicely without having to dry it first. I behaves well, staying lit and staying cool.

Very nice! I did the 10% off deal because PipesandCigars doesn't ship to Japan. I really like smokingpipes and have always had a great experience with them.

That's a very nice pipe and I also go some of the bullseye. Excited for the both of us (well it's my first time with the bulleye)

Also my first time trying bullseye! Let me know what you think. I have tried Escudo and this seemed like a more affordable version. Smokingpipes is great, most of my orders come from here. My mother lives in little river so every time I visit I will be going to their B&M shop, great group of guys!

Im really happy with the pipe, smaller and lightweight with a decent sized bowl. Not sure why Butz Choquin isn't mentioned more, this is a very well made, beautiful pipe.$image.jpg$image.jpg

https://smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/butz-choquin/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=138573

Top Bottom