What's new

First Straight Razor-advice

Howdy-

Getting ready to buy my first straight razor-I am interested in either a Dovo or a Hart. Few things I'm curious about-is the Hart worth the extra money? Are the differences between a full hollow ground Dovo that costs 125 ca 225 only cosmetic? Am I correct to assume that a stainless, hollow ground, with nice hardwood scales would be a really fine razor to own? While this will be my first, it probably won't be my only-and also-I am not the type of person who buys something less than great, just because it is my first of something.

Thanks in advance for the responses!
gfc

I should be more specific...very interested in Dovo Encina and also Dovo Renaissance. Are the blades the exact same quality?

I have a Dovo Renaissance. It is a fine stainless steel blade.
Beware though, I hated mine when it came in, as the factory honing was not as good as that blade deserves.

The stainless steel are easier to maintain but they feel a bit different. Hard to describe.

I have not tried an Encina. The blade does look identical to the Renaissance, the scales are a bit different.

Just pick the one you like best.
A big part of enjoying a straight razor shave is loving the razor.

Any of the razors you mentioned are good quality and will last a lifetime. It is very important to have any razor you purchase professionally honed before use.

There really are no less than great straight razors, if they arent warped, cracked, broken, or nonsuitable metals.. a great edge can be had on a full hollow , 1/4 hollow or wedge and it actually is personal preference on grind, size, scales, metal, aesthetics .

You dont have to spend $150-300 to see if you like straights, try the bst here for a nice vintage deal.

Top Bottom