What's new

My first straight arrived today.

Well it happened. 2nd use. I went for too long a stroke and it got me. Right at the bottom of the cheek. Still gonna need more practice but it started off well.

Actually, cutting yourself is a great experience.
Once you've done it, you feel better as you see it is not a big deal.
The cut tends to be very superficial.
I do shave before my shower though, to avoid having a bloody face for the rest of the day. By the time the shower is over, so is the bleeding and in most cases the cuts are not visible any longer.

Anxiously waiting for my Gold Buca to arrive. One thing I learned the hard way during one of my first straight razor shaves.....Do not drink coffee right before shaving. The shakes and razors are a bad combo.

I had a large scotch before my very first straight shave - it worked wonders for steadying my hand!

Actually, cutting yourself is a great experience.
Once you've done it, you feel better as you see it is not a big deal.

That's very true. My first few straight shaves were completely bloodless (purely by good fortune) and it made me more nervous - I knew I was sure to get a cut some time. After I finally did get my first cut (a small one), I felt like a milestone had been passed and my confidence improved.

Got my first cut yesterday as a matter of fact, just a small one on the cheek. Had just gotten my razor back from being honed by Jon. Guess we know it was sharp right? I'm not likely to be leaving my skin loose in the near future.

I cut myself the first time I shaved. It was real bad on my cheek, looked like raw hamburger. Grabbed the styptic stick and literally the tip was in my cheek. That hurt so bad. We live we learn. Second time I caught myself right under my nose. Since then, smooooth sailing. (Knock on wood)

I cut myself the first time I shaved. It was real bad on my cheek, looked like raw hamburger. Grabbed the styptic stick and literally the tip was in my cheek. That hurt so bad. We live we learn. Second time I caught myself right under my nose. Since then, smooooth sailing. (Knock on wood)

Chris. I got 2 questions. what kind of grind is your razor?. also what kind of beard you have?

I have a Gold Dollar #208 with a full hollow ground, my beard is meh. My chin and mustache is thicker and more course then my cheeks. I cant grow a proper goatee because it doesnt connect. I was not blessed with a thick full beard. Maybe someday itll grow right :/

I have a Gold Dollar #208 with a full hollow ground, my beard is meh. My chin and mustache is thicker and more course then my cheeks. I cant grow a proper goatee because it doesnt connect. I was not blessed with a thick full beard. Maybe someday itll grow right :/

same here. I got a tough beard. it does not connect. my beard is very thick around and below the chin. I found that using a heavy wedge is better for me than a hollow. it gives me more consistent shave. it cuts down everything in its way effortlessly and silently. plus not even a single drop of blood everytime I shave. a hollow however also does the job. but gives me more razor burns. how about trying a wedge?. so you can have a base on which one you prefer. unfortunately finding them takes time . I have an A.J Jordan very near wedge I bought for 25$.

in the end it is all about personal preference. and what works for your skin.

I just got a razor from Buca delivered today. Im waiting for my badger brush to get here so I can take it for a spin. I have a boar brush now....figured id wait for the new brush to go with the new razor.

Top Bottom