What's new

Question about "presentable shave" when first starting.

Hello and thanks again for the site :)

I'm about to delve into this new shaving style--but am concerned about how presentable the initial learning period is. I in no way plan on going crazy at the start. I wanna take it slow and make sure I get the technique down. The problem is that I'm in the military and I can't go to work with patches of uncut grass in the field. Add to my dilemma that after using a cartridge razor I already get the 5 o'clock shadow about 4-5 hours after the shave.

So after all that rambling, will I get a close enough shave to pass the daily inspection?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

I feel like my worst DE shaves are closer than the best cartridge shaves that I used to get.

Don't you get some off days? Try your first DE shaves on your off days and judge for yourself whether they will pass scrutiny. I think you will do just fine, but I would not want to get you in trouble.

Tim

I am brand new to DE shaving, and even my very first DE shave was on par with my cartridge razor shaves-- it did take significantly longer to do, though. Also, I don't have the heaviest of beards, so your experience may be different.

Closeness isn't a problem. It's nicks which can look less presentable and you pretty much just have to put up with the occasional nick when you're learning.

DE shaving is nothing to be scared of.

In all honesty the first few shaves I did were fine, I ended up with a bit of irritation and a little cut here or there, but nothing like what I had with the M3. It did take longer (30 mins first go, as I took my time) but I was presentable. Nicks can be tidied up with styptic.

You're asking a hard question. Basically it comes down to how lucky and naturally talented you are. I'd advise trying it out during a time you don't need to be perfectly presentable; that way you're not stressing out for your first DE shave(s).

Ditto rabidpotatochip's answer -- Since you have the weekends, sounds like a Friday night would be a good time for the transition. The key in my case was to find a time when I didn't feel rushed, as you'll want to be able to concentrate on your blade angle and holding that razor lightly. Take your time, rinse and relather often, and you'll be pleased with the results. If a nick or two happens along the way, you should be more than presentable by Monday.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Top Bottom