What's new

Barber in Twin Cities Area

Hi All,

Does anyone know if there is a good barber in the twin cities area (Minnesota) who can give a good shave with a strait razor?

I've actually never tried one, and I think I'd like to give it a try.

thanks!

I haven't seen an art of shaving store there yet, but I know that Nordstroms in the Mall of America carries there stuff. They also carry some Truefitt and Hill stuff.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Hi All,

Does anyone know if there is a good barber in the twin cities area (Minnesota) who can give a good shave with a strait razor?

I've actually never tried one, and I think I'd like to give it a try.

thanks!

Go for a Straight Shave instead of a strait......Much smoother and closer....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I KEED!!

but there's a new place downtown, I'm not sure but it might be near Nicollet Mall, that sells "gentlemens'" clothing, and in the ad they mentioned, and I remember this distinctly, a Truefitt and Hill Shaving shop. I'll do more searching and let you know if I dig up anything.

Don

but there's a new place downtown, I'm not sure but it might be near Nicollet Mall, that sells "gentlemens'" clothing, and in the ad they mentioned, and I remember this distinctly, a Truefitt and Hill Shaving shop. I'll do more searching and let you know if I dig up anything.

Don

Man that is great!!! Please let me know if you find anything!

I could be wrong, but I think I read there's a guy in the Foshay Tower who's been doing shaves for decades.

I keep hoping something pops up at the Mall of America, but not yet I dont think. Heimes Habersashery in downtown St. Paul advertises a Shave Parlor and they sell T&H, but I don't know if the do straight razor shaves or not. They have a website ... heimies.com. There is also a barbershop on the skyway level of Macy's in downtown Mpls. that sells eshave ... when you look at it from the outside, it looks promising (lots of dark wood), but its full of 25 y.o. female stylists that I wouldn't trust with a sharp object anywhere near my neck.

Otherwise ... the Twin Cities seem to be a desert. I couldn't even find a DE razor anywhere.

From mspmag's best of 2005:

Best Gentleman’s Shave
An old-time gentleman’s shave requires a master barber, a half-hour of your morning, and the willingness to bare your Adam’s apple to a stranger’s razor. Of the shrinking number of local establishments still offering the service, our pick, appropriately ensconced in the Foshay Tower, is simply called Foshay Barber Shop. There, Barber Don, who’s been shaving gents for more than fifty-one years, removes your stubble with hot towels, warm lather, and a steady stroke. The result is an incomparably close shave-and a change-of-pace experience that makes a guy nostalgic for the Eisenhower administration. W-F; $18. 821 Marquette Ave., Mpls., 612-338-1244

I keep hoping something pops up at the Mall of America, but not yet I dont think. Heimes Habersashery in downtown St. Paul advertises a Shave Parlor and they sell T&H, but I don't know if the do straight razor shaves or not. They have a website ... heimies.com. There is also a barbershop on the skyway level of Macy's in downtown Mpls. that sells eshave ... when you look at it from the outside, it looks promising (lots of dark wood), but its full of 25 y.o. female stylists that I wouldn't trust with a sharp object anywhere near my neck.

Otherwise ... the Twin Cities seem to be a desert. I couldn't even find a DE razor anywhere.

I was in St. Paul on New Year's Eve with my wife and after having just grabbed a beer, while walking to the Xcel Center we passed Heimie's. I looked in and felt like I was back on the streets of Edinburgh. It looked so old world and cool in there. I noticed the humidor and said aloud, "Honey, I wonder if they've got shave stuff in there. Check this out. Look! A humidor!"

She gave me one of those looks and said, "You and you're crazy shaving and cigars...but we'll be late for the Wild game..." So that was that. I'll be back, though. :w00t:

...and the Wild lost. :nonod:

I just went to Heimies today! I didn't get a fedora, but I did check some of them out. Wow... really nice. They really looked like good quality and the price expressed that. They had GREAT stuff; Suites, shoes, accessories, I was very impressed. Because summer is coming up, I think I'll begin with a straw hat and move up to a fedora this coming fall.

I just went to Heimies today! I didn't get a fedora, but I did check some of them out. Wow... really nice. They really looked like good quality and the price expressed that. They had GREAT stuff; Suites, shoes, accessories, I was very impressed. Because summer is coming up, I think I'll begin with a straw hat and move up to a fedora this coming fall.

But what about the shave gear? :lol:

But what about the shave gear? :lol:

No Shave Gear! However, they did have a singing barber. Seriously. As I was leaving (our parking meeter was about to expire), a barber came out of the barber shop area and began singing. It was hilarious. On the website, it says they use T&H products. I didn't get a chance to check out the barber shop part because I was with my 13 month old son, my wife, and my wife's mother. So you can guess the pressure to leave a place with nothing for women to look at. :mad3:

But, alas, in a cursory review of the shop, I didn't see too many accessories, and no shaving accessories. It looked like they were big on hats, suites, shoes, and a few belts and wallets. I'm heading back on Tuesday, to check out the shave shop. Every one will have gone home, be at work or daycare.

Wish me luck!!!! :001_smile

Top Bottom