What's new

cheap boar vs cheap badger.clear winner

When I started wet shaving again in earnest about two years ago, I ordered a cheap Chinese Badger brush from across the pond. I discovered in the course of the last year it was actually a mix of Badger and Boar, but it lathered fairly well, and did what it was supposed to do, so I haven't replaced it until last week. Any way I ordered several Chinese Badger brushes. The first one came in last week, and I have used it 5 or 6 times now. I was in a hurry to try it out, and didn't clean it up first, which was a big mistake. At the end of the first shave I noticed a brown tint to the lather I pulled out of it on my last pass, and ended up shampooing the brush as soon as I cleaned up. It had a "funky" smell to it too before I shampooed it too. Unfortunately I now have several blemishes on my face that I suspect are from this unsteralized brush. No biggie though, I'm not too worried yet, I will just keep my face clean and it should clear up. So anyway my point is that the Badger brush seems to lather better, and feel better on my face than the Badger/Boar mixed brush, but an Omega Boar travel brush I have been breaking in lathers equally well. The only major difference is the Omega doesn't hold the water as well, and requires frequent moisturizing during lathering. But that's the only difference I can notice between the Badger brushes and the Boar brushes I have. But I have to say, all I own are very cheap brushes. But they do the job.

Great photos, thanks.

To the OP, although you can use a boar brush right out of the box to build an acceptable lather, you'll find the first month the effectiveness of the brush's lather making ability will improve from week to week. At the same time, the brush will feel softer and softer against your skin.

After a few weeks, you'll wonder how you ever shaved with the VDH brush. Until the knot fell apart, I used my VDH boar brush to clean the sink.

Great photos, thanks.

To the OP, although you can use a boar brush right out of the box to build an acceptable lather, you'll find the first month the effectiveness of the brush's lather making ability will improve from week to week. At the same time, the brush will feel softer and softer against your skin.

After a few weeks, you'll wonder how you ever shaved with the VDH brush. Until the knot fell apart, I used my VDH boar brush to clean the sink.

Yeah, I already wonder how I lasted 3 years with the VDH brush...from the first lather with the tweezerman I realized how bad it was...just terrible. But I learned how to make a lather because to make a decent lather with that brush you have to know what you're doing.

I do miss the heat and water retention of the badger after using the omega this week. Both brushes have their strengths...I guess it might just end up what I'm in the mood for on any given day.

Another face shave Sat. and I still feel like it's just not doing well for face lathers...It's like it makes a ton of lather in the brush but it doesn't stay on my face...the brush just pushes it around or scoops it back onto itself. I'm not accustomed to having to "paint" on the lather from the brush.

Head shave this morning and I decided to go dryer on the brush. A couple solid shakes after soaking it to get rid of most of the excess water. I loaded the brush for only maybe 5-10seconds max and started in on my head. What I was getting this time looked much more like what I was getting from the badger.

I added some water to the base of the bristles letting it run toward the tip and continued to work...the lather seemed to be staying on my head better than before and I was able to get a wetter lather overall than when I would start with a brush too wet to begin with. The lather even seemed to stay out of the brush and on my head. Only the last inch of the brush had lather in it whereas before it would be oozing out of it everywhere then I'd have to "paint" on all that lather to get it to "stick" to my head/face. From the pictures I've seen of brushes with lather and the general rule here it seems is the more the better, but for me I think it begins to get too thin or something. I don't know if I'm even explaining it correctly, but the lather I got this morning resembled the lathers I was getting with the badger and that is what I actually prefer.

I'm still not sure about face lathering because it's just such a big brush, but I'll go this route tomorrow and see if the straight likes that lather better. Otherwise I may be a tweezerman face and an omega 49 head lathering guy.

Although I do like the boar, so I may have to investigate the 10066 and see if the size is better for face lathering.

Used the same process as yesterday on a face shave...the lather was a little thin but worked fine...
I'm still not sure about the 49 for face lathering...for head lathering it's the cat's meow.

Thirdsies on the '98, such a great brush. Looks like the '49 is breaking in nicely, and it will just keep getting better.

OH! And THANKS for the new avatar!

$Untitled.jpg

Dilbone, I have the same brush. It's my favourite brush now and gets used the most but it took some time to get used to it.
Give it sometime, keep at it and you'll reap the rewards after a month of use.

It's a fantastic brush!

Thirdsies on the '98, such a great brush. Looks like the '49 is breaking in nicely, and it will just keep getting better.

OH! And THANKS for the new avatar!

View attachment 512485
Glad I could be a source of of avatar for you lol...I guess I could make that my avatar...
Dilbone, I have the same brush. It's my favourite brush now and gets used the most but it took some time to get used to it.
Give it sometime, keep at it and you'll reap the rewards after a month of use.

It's a fantastic brush!
Yeah...I'll keep using this brush for a month or so for all of my shaves and see where I'm at then. Maybe a 10066 for Christmas...

I bought my Omega Pro in Italy for a few bucks, but even in the US ordering through the mail it's only about $15. Incredible value in that brush. I've read good reviews of smaller Omegas, that cost even less, but haven't tried one.

Decent straight shave this morning near BBS. Didn't soak it the whole time while I was in the shower just once I got out for a few minutes...not sure I noticed much difference there.

Getting more used to and ok with just "painting on" the lather even though I don't ever do that with the badger.
It was a nice lather and I had plenty of it with less than 10 sec of loading. I guess I'm getting used to it but i don't know if it's any better/worse than the tweezerman for face shaves. Head shaves the tweezerman can't compete with this beast.

A couple more shaves in(11 total so far) and it's definitely able to splay a little better when face lathering. This just might break in enough for me not to want a 10066...but I'll probably get one anyway...

I used the pro 49 for over 4.5months exclusively and it's a really nice brush. However, I still wanted to try something a bit smaller for face lathering. I still find the 49 a little awkward when face lathering so I picked up a 10066 last week. I'm 4 shaves in with it and it's breaking in nicely.

I had a hard time getting used to how small it was for the first 2 shaves...it felt like I was lathering with a tooth brush... The last 2 shaves have been much better. I feel like I can really work the brush without getting lather everywhere. I'll be anxious to see how it is after a few weeks of use, but I can tell already it will be a keeper. Once it breaks in a bit better I'll probably use the 49 for head shaves and the 66 for face.

I too wanted to try out the infamous badger brush. I ended up purchasing a $12 De Long, which gets good remarks here. Compared to my Semogue 620, it's really not that great a brush. The boar just seems to be more versatile. It's excellent for face lathering, and does well when it comes to bowl lathering. The De Long on the other hand doesn't have enough backbone to face lather with (efficiently at least) and performs decently when bowl lathering.

You guys gotta quit talking about how great all these brushes are...I don't in any way need another...I'm only 3 shaves in on the 49 for crying out loud...and shaving on my off day just to use it again lol

I realize that most of us are a little quirky in our own ways, but I did notice at least 4 safety razors in your caddy. I guess it's a question of which AD one chooses.

P.S. - BAD has more diversity than RAD if one wants to analyze neurosis potential.

I realize that most of us are a little quirky in our own ways, but I did notice at least 4 safety razors in your caddy. I guess it's a question of which AD one chooses.

P.S. - BAD has more diversity than RAD if one wants to analyze neurosis potential.
Haha,

Don't even get me started on straight razors... up to 10 not counting the 2 GD66's still in boxes in the closet. I know for most here that doesn't sound like much but for a guy who swore he would never do that it sure has been easy collecting. It may be time to get rid of some stuff....

Here is my brush lineup,
Left to Right
Vintage Century Pure Badger. Firm backbone excellent face latherer
Vintage Unknown Make Boar. Firm backbone loosens up when hydrated works good for both mug or face
VDH Badger. Floppy works for bowl or face if using creams (sheds regularly)
VDH Boar. Firm backbone works for both mug or face lather when properly hydrated. Generally gets the most use.
$Brushes 007.jpg
I plan on eventually getting a new quality boar. Personally I like the stiffness of the boar, but I haven't tried any other badgers besides these two.

Top Bottom