What's new

First DE shave today!

While at my parents home yesterday I was telling my Dad that i was going to find a DE razor. He told me to wait and checked in a box and he had his uncle's Gillette razor. Now I am a proud owner of a Gillette DE and had my first shave with it today!

Fantastic and yes I could hear the whiskers succumbing to the new blade. Two passes and a nice almost BBS shave. It was tough to keep from grinning while shaving. Followed up with some Clubman Bay Rum and now an un-filtered wheat ale. I may have a Don Diego Churchill too with a couple of fingers of Johnny Walker Gold Label later!

I'm not sure what era the razor is from. I did not see any model numbers or patent numbers. Just Gillette and "Made in USA" and other makings that the patent is on file.

I have enclosed a picture maybe you guys can help me ID it.

It may have been my Grand Uncles razor but he may have bought it in 1980 for all i know!

Johnny --

The razor pictured is a Lady Gillette, made in the early to mid-60's. The razor head is the same as the Superspeeds of the era. They were made in four colors; light blue, dark blue, pink, and a tan that was called 'champagne'. Though marketed to ladies, the longer handle is favored by some. I think they're an excellent razor.

-- John Gehman

Lady Gillette!!:eek:

ROTFL

That I did not expect!

I'll bet it was a lower priced razor because my grand uncle was very very very frugal. My folks have funny stories of all the stuff he had in boxes (packets of salt & pepper, straws, paper cups, pens, etc.) they had to go through when he passed many years ago. He was eccentric but we all loved him.

The razor was very comfortable to hold and light. A great shave and I will never part with it. 1960's vintage? How can you tell?

Thanks for the info!:001_smile

Lady Gillette!!:eek:

ROTFL

That I did not expect!

I'll bet it was a lower priced razor because my grand uncle was very very very frugal. My folks have funny stories of all the stuff he had in boxes (packets of salt & pepper, straws, paper cups, pens, etc.) they had to go through when he passed many years ago. He was eccentric but we all loved him.

The razor was very comfortable to hold and light. A great shave and I will never part with it. 1960's vintage? How can you tell?

Thanks for the info!:001_smile

Check out ebay, they have just about every type of razor with the make/date listed. Yours looks to be in very good condition!

Top Bottom