What's new

Why do I even have anything else?

I've got 10 soaps/creams that I rotate through. I like them all. The VDH Deluxe is the only one that I have finished and replaced because that is the one that I started with before acquiring the rest. There are about 3 more that I would like to add, but I can't really justify it. Or, do I need to justify it?

That's what I say anytime I lather up arko or any razorock. Then I remember that I need to give me other ~ 30 soaps some love too.

I haven't tried them all yet. ... but so far, the one I would say why would I ever use anything else about is MWF. It's perfect, except for the scent.

"Wow, this is great stuff! Why do I even have anything else?"

Like most of you guys, I have several soap options to choose from and no organized method for deciding which one to us in a day. As is bound to happen, once in a while I'll get stuck on one soap for several shaves, which for me means a couple weeks or more with every-other-day shaves.

This particular phenomenon has occurred on at least three different occasions, with at least three different soaps, whenever I changed soaps after sticking with one for a while. Upon lathering up the new soap, I exclaimed to myself, "Wow, this is great stuff! Why do I even have anything else?" Then I used that soap for a while, changd again, and thought the same thing with the new soap.

For the curious, the soaps that I can think of that this happened with are Tabac, Palmolive Shave Stick, and Provence Sante Green Tea.

Has anyone else caught themselves doing this or something similar?

Yes, and with those same three soaps especially. And also, of course, with the Irisch Moos stick.

I've been alternating between Proraso White soap and VDH Deluxe. Both give me a great face lather and are easy to use. Usually I'll go a week or two with one, then switch to the other for a couple weeks, etc.

I follow the 3017 method and my soap collection has been limited to top quality stuff. Irrespective of price, they are all great performers. Seeing as I only open a new soap every few months, the "wow" factor is rare enough but it also comes into play when I travel and use a Palmolive, Valobra, Wilkinson Sword, Speick or Harris shave stick.

Good soap is worth every cent.

I've done it with a brand, which I thought was even stranger at the time.

I at one time owned probably 13 Caties Bubbles soaps. I now own none and have 7 or 8 Barrister and Mann soaps and nothing else.

I have Soap Commander and Stirling at the moment. While Soap Commander is a great soap, I think Stirling is just a little better. I am already planning my next purchase from them. Probably be Sharp Dressed or Executive Man.

I really notice the scent differences when I switch to another in my den. I think my nose gets used to the same thing after several days, but when I change, I'm like, "Wow, this smells great!"

Being in the yearly restraint, I'm slowly culling down my herd and finding soaps that really work well for me from both a performance and scent standpoint (Mike's, Tabac, Mystic Waters, B&M, Stirling). I have PIF'd or traded quite a few as well.

Top Bottom