What's new

Traveling Slant - Try Before You Buy

Like the traveling OC, or the Traveling Slim, but with a slanted twist.

I became involved with the Traveling OC thread after following the experiences of first time OC users. The thread seemed to be losing some steam, so I offered to throw in a modern OC to contrast the OC that Shutterbug so generously started the thread with, and it just grew from there. The thread seemed to be winding down again, so I offered to throw in a NEW LC to pick up interest again, and that is when I was approached with a most generous offer.

mrb7 sent me a PM and offered to donate a Merkur 37c to the thread, to give some diversity. After discussing the best way to generate visibility for the slant and for it to not get lost in the OC thread, we decided it was best to give it its own thread. So that brings us to where we are.

Now, it is important to note, and important to mrb7, that General_Specific be recognized as the originator of this specific 37c. The General found the razor in the wild and gave it to mrb7 to see if it would work for him, with the charge that he donate it back to the community once he determined whether slants were for him or not. I think this perfectly illustrates the tremendous generosity that is displayed within our community every day, by kind people with no agenda other than to help others, privately, and without thought of recognition or personal gain. None of us would likely have known about this kindness except for the chance that mrb7 read the OC thread just as we were trying to stir up interest again, and sent me a message. I think they deserve a thank you for continuing the examples of those who came before them; selfless generosity.

I have never used a slant, but that matters not. I have been given the chance to help others find or refine or rediscover their own personal shaving Nirvana with a different kind of razor. I am happy to assist in that endeavor. The 37c is in fine shape except for some minor brassing, so please care for it as if it were a borrowed treasure and pass it along in the same condition you received it. Without further commentary, following are the guidelines for those wishing to participate, with prose copied from the OC thread.

Here are the rules for this thread:

1. If you already have slant razor experience, please do not participate in this thread. It is for slant newbies (you may have extensive non-slant experience, but not slant experience.)
2. To participate in this thread, you must meet the qualifications to sell items on B/S/T. (45 days a member and 50 posts).
3. Participation is for CONUS members only - to keep costs down and the razor moving to as many participants as possible.
4. Post in this thread that you would like to try the razor.
5. I will periodically put together a consolidated list in a single post.
6. PM me when you get the razor so I can keep the list updated.
7. Your cost in this is the cost to post the razor to the next person on the list. It is also your responsibility to PM that person to get their address.
8. You are responsible for cleaning/sanitizing the razor when you get it and before you send it out.
9. Please shave with it for about a week and then pass it along to the next person on the list. This is not your personal razor, so please don't keep it for more than a week. (I understand many of us travel so, if the razor arrives and you are out of town the time at your house may go a bit longer, but please be considerate of those after you on the list.)
10. Please post your experience with the razor in this thread. Did you like the slant, hate it, plan to get one, which model, etc.

I will do my best to administer this thread. I am going to rely heavily on the participants to self manage and respect the rules of the pass around. I have a hectic work schedule of between 50-60 hours a week, so there are times several days will go by without me being able to check the forum.

Once I start the list, if you want to join, simply copy the existing list into your post and post your name at the end. As we go forward the list just grows and those who have tried the slant fall off the list. Simple.

So, who is up for trying a slant? mrb7 will ship the razor to the first person on the list, once we get up and running. Let the games begin!

I'd like to try a slant. Thanks, General_Specific, mrb7, and Jeff_H for doing this!

Last edited:
I'd like to try a slant. Thanks for doing this!

Ok. That didn't take too long. PM your shipping address, and the razor will be on it's way shortly.

In the spirit of the thread, I found the slant "interesting" but not compelling to me. Partly, I think, because I'm in the throes of trying to learn my way around straights, and one more added curve was just information overload.

I did find that the shaves with it were better with Astra SP blades than they were with IP Reds. I don't find as noticeable a difference between those two blades in my Slim. But the Astra's were clearly superior in my experience in the slant.

I might revisit the the slant experience in the future. But for now I'm concentrating on the straights.

And and my thanks to General_Specific for sending me the razor in the first place. And to Jeff for coordinating this. I travel far too much to take on administration.

So Heron, comin' at ya'.

Mikey

Count me in! Just spent the last hour looking for a slant, debating whether to order one. Then I saw this post. Excellent!

Paul

Alright, and we're off. Here is the list so far. If you want to join, copy the list in your reply and add yourself to the list. When the person before you has used the razor for a week, you will get a PM requesting your address. Fun times.

Traveling Slant User List

1. Heron
2. Avincenty
3. pbdc13

Another traveling razor! I've been wanting to try a slant, thank you very much General Specific, Mrb7 and Jeff for making this happen.

I'm in!
1. Heron
2. Avincenty
3. pbdc13
4. CartridgesAreADrag
5. Cacique

I participated in the Traveling OC when they had the OT and the Merkur OC. It was great to get to try both razors and ended up picking a New SC thanks to that thread, which has become my daily shaver and now leading me into searching for a New LC. I'm also on the Traveling Slim, great way to try a razor and see if you like it before you spend the money. Anyone even remotely curious should sign up!

Great idea, I currently am using a travelling slant in the UK I have the opportunity to keep it and use it as I see fit. I am using the same baked and soap combo to get a feel for it before committing to buying.

Have a go you (hopefully) won't be disappointed.

Shipping update for those on the list and a bump for those who aren't...
It arrived in Salt Lake City on Saturday so I should get it Monday or Tuesday.

Shipping update for those on the list and a bump for those who aren't...
It arrived in Salt Lake City on Saturday so I should get it Monday or Tuesday.

Sorry it took me so long to get it out guys. I know everyone is chomping at the bit.

Mikey

I've been wondering what the hoopla about the slant was. I guess now's my chance.

1. Heron
2. Avincenty
3. pbdc13
4. CartridgesAreADrag
5. Cacique
6. SyntheticEvil13

Didn't read the rules to self-add. Here then I'd the list with my name on it.

1. Heron
2. Avincenty
3. pbdc13
4. CartridgesAreADrag
5. Cacique
6. SyntheticEvil13
7. OKAllen

1. Heron
2. Avincenty
3. pbdc13
4. CartridgesAreADrag
5. Cacique
6. SyntheticEvil13
7. OKAllen
8. Efaden

Look at what was waiting for me when i got home! Week one is under way.
$0203141622.jpg

I've been wanting to buy the 39c, but have never tried a slant. I'm doing the sabbatical so it will have to wait until 2015 anyway, but I would love to give it a shot. Thanks everyone.

1. Heron
2. Avincenty
3. pbdc13
4. CartridgesAreADrag
5. Cacique
6. SyntheticEvil13
7. OKAllen
8. Efaden
9. BubblesTGB

Top Bottom