What's new

Traveling Slant - Try Before You Buy

Wow, this is a game changer. I had two shaves in the books with an astra blade, and went and put a feather in it. I should have stuck with the same soap, but I did not. I could tell on the first pass of the throat that my soap was not slick enough, from the tugging with a brand new feather blade. To late the damage was done. I am still getting the hang of this some times I take a step back.

I love the razor, I have been shaving for the last three weeks with a 34c and a feather blade. The first two passes ATG, and then finish the third with a single ring with an astra blade. I did that with the 37c and that my friends was a little to much steel at one time after starting with a weak soap. I was actually staring at my left side as the weapers opened up, holy cows I have never done that to myself.

I have been reading back through some of the older posts. Maybe my soap was slick enough, I thought it was when I put it on. Perhaps the razor just doesnt like the feather blade against my face.

Is the handle interchangeable on this razor with one of the solid steel ones?

Thanks, Hunter

Last edited:
So...out of curiosity, did this "Try before you Buy" thread die? I noticed there were still a couple people on the list that still need to try this.

It arrived yesterday! Hope to try it tomorrow Am and will shoot to get it back on the road next week Wednesday or Thursday ish.

I'm excited! 10 years in the game and have never used a slant bar!

Wow. Are we getting to the end of the line? I'll hold it open for a little while, but if no-one else is interested I guess this passaround will end after adrian jordan's turn.

Rules:

1. If you already have slant razor experience, please do not participate in this thread. It is for slant newbies (you may have extensive non-slant experience, but not slant experience.)
2. To participate in this thread, you must have 3 months membership and have 50 posts before the time you are to receive the razor.
3. Participation is for CONUS members only - to keep costs down and the razor moving to as many participants as possible.
4. Post in this thread that you would like to try the razor.
5. I will periodically put together a consolidated list in a single post.
6. Make sure you copy @bobmsp on all all PMs relating to where the slant is going so that he can follow up in case something happens to the slant.
7. Your cost in this is the cost to post the razor to the next person on the list. It is also your responsibility to PM that person to get their address.
8. You are responsible for cleaning/sanitizing the razor when you get it and before you send it out.
9. Please shave with it for about a week and then pass it along to the next person on the list. This is not your personal razor, so please don't keep it for more than a week. (I understand many of us travel so, if the razor arrives and you are out of town the time at your house may go a bit longer, but please be considerate of those after you on the list.)
10. Please post your experience with the razor in this thread. Did you like the slant, hate it, plan to get one, which model, etc.

I will do my best to administer this thread, but will rely on the participants to self manage and respect the rules of the pass around.

Here's the current list:

1. Lynchmeister - holding
2. adrian jordan
Last: bobmsp

Alright, guys...quick update and initial impressions.

My first real shaving epiphany came when I, after 7 or 8 years, finally tried Feather blades. The slant bar, without question, has been my second. Wow. Feather blade and slant bar razor, for me, was unbelievable. Smooth action, close shave (not BBS, but DFS for sure...can't fault the razor on that), and most importantly(!), comfortable!!! NO resistance, NO tugging, NO nicks/cuts of any kind, NO aftershave alcohol sting. Smooth comfort from start to finish.

I did have some red patches on my neck that my wife commented about, but I hadn't noticed (or felt it) until she mentioned it. The redness (again, no discomfort at all) faded 30 seconds after the AV splash, so I'm not giving it a second thought.

My verdict after one use - I want one. I thought the '63 Slim I got for $1.00 was my favorite razor...now I'm not so sure...a Slant may fall into an online cart very soon...

Here's the current list:

1. Lynchmeister - holding
2. adrian jordan

Folks, it's been a great week with the slant and I'm ready to send it along to
adrian jordan. Incoming PM to adrian jordan and bobmsp for address details will be forthcoming shortly.

Thanks!

I was on the annual sabbatical last year, so I didn't have a chance to buy anything until January. I bought an iKon X3 and the PAA Bakelite Slant during the resupply period. I like the X3, but it's a little mild. I just received the other and have only had 1 or 2 shaves. But so far I seem to like it even more than the X3.

Did I send you a PM Bob? Some how when I use tapa talk I some times PM myself when I am trying to message someone, and I cannot ever tell which.

No worries, Hunter! My week with the Slant was definitely worth the wait - it's a thoroughly enjoyable and smooth piece of gear.

The razor will be shipped out this afternoon and headed on it's way to Adrian next.

Thanks again, Bob, for your generosity in passing this around!

Wow. Are we getting to the end of the line? I'll hold it open for a little while, but if no-one else is interested I guess this passaround will end after thejarred's turn.

Rules:

1. If you already have slant razor experience, please do not participate in this thread. It is for slant newbies (you may have extensive non-slant experience, but not slant experience.)
2. To participate in this thread, you must have 3 months membership and have 50 posts before the time you are to receive the razor.
3. Participation is for CONUS members only - to keep costs down and the razor moving to as many participants as possible.
4. Post in this thread that you would like to try the razor.
5. I will periodically put together a consolidated list in a single post.
6. Make sure you copy @bobmsp on all all PMs relating to where the slant is going so that he can follow up in case something happens to the slant.
7. Your cost in this is the cost to post the razor to the next person on the list. It is also your responsibility to PM that person to get their address.
8. You are responsible for cleaning/sanitizing the razor when you get it and before you send it out.
9. Please shave with it for about a week and then pass it along to the next person on the list. This is not your personal razor, so please don't keep it for more than a week. (I understand many of us travel so, if the razor arrives and you are out of town the time at your house may go a bit longer, but please be considerate of those after you on the list.)
10. Please post your experience with the razor in this thread. Did you like the slant, hate it, plan to get one, which model, etc.

I will do my best to administer this thread, but will rely on the participants to self manage and respect the rules of the pass around.

Here's the current list:

1. Lynchmeister - in transit to adrian jordan
2. adrian jordan
3. @thejarred

Last edited:
Okay, I received the razor today and have the first shave in the books.

Shave 1. Personna Lab Prep blade:

I chose the Personna because while I only have one shave with one, it was a very nice, smooth shave, and I am out of my stand-by go-to razors. The result was...not the best shave I've ever had. But not too far off, hahaha. Very nice. Did a standard two-pass shave, first with the grain, then against. No clean up pass required. Not 100% BBS, but a strong 98%. I'm not seeing any rash or bumps, and no nicks, which surprised me, seeing as how this is a "stranger" razor to me. Capped it off with a sturdy splash of my beloved CC Co9T aftershave, and got some warming, but no real burning. Very pleased overall with this first shave.

I really like the size and weight of this razor. I have small hands and enjoy a short-ish handle. There's some weight but not sledgehammer-esque levels. Texturing provided a very strong grip. The head is slim enough to easily get under the nose. Didn't need to adjust the blade in handle, just drop on and tighten down.

Glad you got it. I use witchel hazel on a cotton pad, post shave,al and then some Nivea shave balm. Some just use after shave, whats the difference?

Top Bottom