What's new

Is my lathering bowl to big?

I've been having trouble getting a smooth lather. I think it has been too thin with a little skin showing which caused irritation. Pictures are here:

$IMG_1132.jpg

$IMG_1133.jpg

I'm hesitant to face lather as for the moment I am using an Omega travel brush and I don't think it's big enough. Should I look for a smaller bowl/ maybe try a mug?

What's the diameter and depth of that bowl? My Dirty Bird Bill Bowl has a diameter of 4.5" and a depth of 2.5". It's on the large side but works great for me. However, I use larger brushes most of the time.

What's the diameter and depth of that bowl? My Dirty Bird Bill Bowl has a diameter of 4.5" and a depth of 2.5". It's on the large side but works great for me. However, I use larger brushes most of the time.

The problem may be too small of a brush.

The problem may be too small of a brush.

This. For a bowl that size you need a really big brush. I have a very large (over 4 inches) Savile Row SR-23 brush I use with a bowl that size. In my opinion, that is exactly what big brushes are for.

This. For a bowl that size you need a really big brush. I have a very large (over 4 inches) Savile Row SR-23 brush I use with a bowl that size. In my opinion, that is exactly what big brushes are for.

Decided to try a face lather about 10 minutes ago, worked like a charm.

Decided to try a face lather about 10 minutes ago, worked like a charm.

Yes, a small or medium sized brush is perfect for face lathering. I use an Omega travel sized brush or a Simpsons Chubby for that. See now there, I find a large brush doesn't work well for face lathering because the brush has so much action the cream actually goes flying all over the place. But for building up lather in a large bowl, the more action your brush has the better. Just like when you're making whipped cream from heavy cream by hand with a wire whisk, or beating egg whites.

Top Bottom