What's new

Android App for Bevel Setting

Would anyone be interested in an android app for calculating bevel angle? I'm making an app for me, in which I can input the spine thickness, blade width, spine offset (the distance from the outermost part of the spine and the part that actually contacts the hone), tape thickness, number of tape layers, and desired bevel angle. When it's done, it will give you your bevel angle, whether or not you are within one degree, and if not, what to do to fix it (ie, add how many layers of tape, or wear just the spine). Just gauging interest, and would be happy to provide the apk to anyone interested when it's done. Who knows, maybe the mods could chime in as to whether or not it could be an official B&B app after testing?

Absolutely interested. i use the bevelcalc tool slash made, but his page appears down now...btw its a mac version.not mobile..

Last edited:
Your app sounds cool. How hard would it be to make it a database saving app? I know its more complex, but could be very valuable to us

Bevels plus finisher
Still not sure what you mean. I've added a database where you can store your results in in a named format, (ie, Dovo 6/8 #1) and am working on the part where you can display the last results used for all your razors. Not sure what you are looking for as far as adding finisher.

Great idea. Can this be used with an iPhone too?
Unfortunately no, as I don't have an iPhone to develop with, nor am I familiar with the programming for them.

OK, so I've got a preliminary app done. It will do advanced bevel angle finding, as well as let you store results from previous uses if you wish, named however you want, as long as they are unique names. If anyone would like to be a beta tester for me, just shoot me a PM and I'll send you the apk. You'll have to enable unknown sources for it, as I haven't gotten everything ready to go to sign it yet. Also, if anyone DOES decide to beta test, it would be appreciated if you can let me know if you have any problems, so that I can fix them.

Edited for additional information: Also, if you want to overwrite your previous results for one of your uses (ie, a specific razor, etc), you may do so by naming it exactly the same as you did before.

Also, please include your email addy when PMing me, so that I can send you out the app file.

Last edited:
checking to see ifi can figure out how to make an iphone version. Only other thing I currently already know how to do is php/javascript/ajax/mysql

Just installed it. Pretty cool. Though I need some guidance and I have a couple comments and suggestions.

What's spine offset?

Why is blade width entry bold but no other is?

I love the storage aspect. Can it return a report also?

I'd love to be able to store a date, finisher too and show those in either the entry or report.

Great job! I started to learn to code for this but I got as far as hello, world.

Top Bottom