What's new

How do you drink your tea?

Usually straight unless the brew is bitter, and then honey is added.

I had a northern brit who instructed me that a real man drinks his tea with milk, but I wans't that fond of it.

Just wondering? Do you add sugar, milk or honey. Whats the best way to get the real taste of the tea?

My wife ordered some flavored teas, and in the mix was vanilla, it smelled so good I had to try it. I found though that it really brought out the vanilla flavor when I added some sugar. Is this true with other teas as well?

Been drinking tea my entire life, mostly Middle Eastern style.... dark, sweet, and with mint in a fine glass cup. I tend to buy high grade Celyon and use a iron kettle to brew it.

If Iced, then I like it unsweet.

Chamomile is my favorite tea, and I always add a teaspoon (or 2) of sugar, and some milk. I don't know why I ever added milk in the first place, but almost anytime I drink hot tea, I'll add it.

Nothing in my tea please! I am quite religious about this, too-- the way I see it, there's no need to mask the flavor of a perfectly good tea. Then again... I am a bit of a tea snob. Come on Hobbes, where are you? There are too many people ruining their tea in here! :eek:

I don't add anything to my tea. Just filtered tap or bottled water. I don't really like flavored tea. Tea in its puriest form is what I desire with good quality water.

I enjoy my tea without dairy products or sweeteners. I think the milk is in there to reduce bitterness, which makes me wonder if, in this age of ever-increasing variety and availability, an alternate solution would be to pick another tea. For example, the Assams I've had tend to have bitter and astringent finishes. Other regions produce teas with less bitterness and astringency. Also, in lieu of adding sweetness, if I feel like something sweeter, I'll opt for a more floral tea, like a Dong Ding (a.k.a Tong Ting) Oolong. If I'm in the mood for something a little more milky and sweet, there is a tea that has a nose/taste bordering on sweet cream butter: Nai Xiang Oolong.

Another YMMV thing and obviously both approaches (adding other ingredients and trying other teas) are perfectly valid and sound approaches--I just wanted to suggest an alternate approach since I know many of us like trying a variety of things :w00t:.

For those of you who prefer the milk/sweet stuff, you should really try a Chai (usually available from good tea and coffee cafes). Or you could make your own.

On the weekends, my wife makes what I consider to be a very good Chai in a slow cooker (with an adjustable thermostat). She adds 2c milk, 2c water, 3 heaping tsp of a spicy red chai blend from a local vendor (you could likely just use a rooiboss or "red bush" tisane available from most grocery sores), and .25c Demerara sugar (also available in some grocery stores). However, I've yet to develop a taste for Chai over regular(?) tea.

Each person has a preference, that's why there's chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, etc.!

Just black. I do like chai, though (the basic black tea, cardamom pods, a couple cloves, maybe cinnamon, sugar, and enough milk to make it ace-bandage colored). I picked that up from an Indian neighbor, then made a coffee drinker of him.

Howdy,

Firstly, I loved the Onion story, I think a lot of people will get a kick out of it. :)

Secondly, I say you can't go far wrong with adding tea leaves to water, and then drinking the brew. I was weaned off milk as an undergraduate, living with fellow male undergrads the only milk we had was 1) sour, 2) adulterated with kahlua, 3) sour and adulterated with kahlua. Tasty.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Nothing enters my teacup (mug actually) except water and the infuser. I drink my coffee the same way from a matching Bodum mug which I tagged for coffee. Neither beverage needs any additions if properly brewed from good ingredients.

Wayne

Iced tea is only iced tea if it is sweet. In fact here in the south, sweettea is one word. Hot tea I use honey and milk if it is black tea, all others get a dash of sugar.

herbal/green teas/oolong teas: nothing added

black teas (such as english breakfast/earl grey): milk added

The milk really does bring out the flavor in the black teas...I used to use just a tiny splash, but upopn my wife's suggestion added more milk and noticed a HUGE increase in flavor. In my opinion, sugar/honey masks flavors while milk brings them out. YMMV, of course.

FWIW I also add just a splash of milk to my coffee

I was raised in part by my Grandmother, the living stereotype of the proper English housewife, and a rather strict woman when it came to the tradition of tea.

Her ritual, as passed to me, is as follows:

1) Boil the water on the stove with a whistling kettle - do NOT use a plastic plug-in kettle, the water does not get hot enough and the plastic ruins the taste.

2) Transfer boiling water to large teapot, using two bags of Tetley's Orange Pekoe, and cover the pot with a tea towel or a tea cozy.

3) Arrange and prepare salmon & cucumber sandwiches, chocolate lady fingers, lunch rolls with butter and blackforest ham or whatever you or your guests prefer.

4) If the tea isn't steeped to your preference do NOT stir the pot, it will bruise the tea, opt instead to rotate it on the spot and remember that it is always better to over-steep than it is to under-steep.

5) Add milk to your cup first, then sugar, and stir together before adding the tea itself (I've heard many reasons for this order, but the best are the following two; it prevents the hot tea from shattering cold china cups, and the sugar saturates with the milk first so it doesn't end up sinking to the bottom of your cup).

6) Enjoy!

Top Bottom