First let me say I am thrilled to be joining these ranks again. After a brief stint away from wet shaving (although I will admit I never used a DE razor in the past) I am glad to be returning. I had pretty much resigned myself to the concept that shaving, well.. sucked. I had tried using brushes in the past (even decent badger brushes with good creams/soaps) with a variety of "cartridge" razors and disposables... as you can imagine, pretty much awful. My time with electrics was even worse. Now using a nice brush and a DE razor I can say I am truly pleased for the first time with my shave and even look forward to my morning ritual. Enough of the rambling and on to the questions!
1. Do any of you travel frequently (by air) and if so do you bring a DE razor with you? Clearly checking a bag this isn't an issue but I like to avoid that for 1-3 day business travel whenever humanly possible. It seems like a DE razor (and more importantly the blades) are just the type of thing an airport security person would want to take from you.
2. My current setup includes:
- Merkur Classic Long handle
- Rooney "Super Silvertip" shaving brush (#3 small)
- Taylor's Lavendar
- Feather blades (wow I love these)
I would like to add a decent stand and potentially a bowl or other mixing vessel and am seeking recommendations (all purchased from classicshaving.com)
3. I am noticing that on this forum it seems pretty commonplace to see reviews of products or other commentary on things with no mention of the source where the item was obtained. Is this a rule of the forum? I only ask because it makes it extremely difficult to source an item for yourself that you thought sounded good from a review or other writeup. If it's not a policy so to speak please consider this a plea from a new participant to include source information when discussing specific products.
4. Given that you now know my setup where would you gents suggest I go from here? I have a severe issue with collecting (wine, corkscrews, books, etc.) and see this becoming another thing I collect and enjoy sampling.
5. Ok just to make it to 5 questions what would you say was the single biggest contributor in terms of equipment in the quality of your shave?
There.. how's that for an absurdly long first post!?