What's new

Purge

After seven years of buying ink and stationery promiscuously, I find that I'm only going back to the same three or four objects of desire (I'm sure you can relate). The bride and I are downsizing. Time to purge. This is as much stuff I can fit into a medium USPS flat rate box. It's yours if you want it.

To throw your hat in the ring, tell us what you're most excited about writing in 2014 and what you will use to compose it. See below for an example. CONUS shipping is on me; points abroad are welcome to pay for shipping insurance blah blah on their own dime.

Some of this stuff is old in a good way (15ml or so of MB Racing Green, Quink Blue) and some of it is old in a bad way (PR Orange Crush has faded to PR Orange Brown). Some of it is unused or only used once or twice. Some intrepid soul can no doubt list all the stuff in the pics. Click through to Flickr (somebody PM me if the pics don't show; Flickr has a nasty habit of dropping links).

Not in, but things I'm excited about writing in 2014: more sweet nothings to my sweet sweetie and a book at work that goes into final editing this summer. I've been using a blue carbonesque VP for meeting notes, a Lamy Studio with J. Herbin Orange Indien for editing, and alternating with a Stipula Etruria 1.1 stub w/MB Violet and Aurora Optima M with Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo for writing. Stationery is mostly A4 and No 16 Rhodia Dot Pads, an A4 Clairefontaine notebook, and cheap printer paper.

Sweet nothings are none of your business, ahem.

I am in! As a new guy to the FP world I would love to be able to get some of this stuff. I am super excited to start my new journaling Habit to reflect on the days events as well as things I am looking forward too. I am most excited for the Journal entries leading up to my proposal to my long time girlfriend and then the entries swiftly following that date. I am super excited about becoming a part of "The Nib" I will be doing all of this with my just purchased Lamy Al-Star and the B&B Leather Journal. I am looking into maybe purchasing a Pilot Metropolitan for my lady to see how she likes FPS.

Last edited:
Midnight Blue and Orange Crush would be excellent inks to use to compose an epic calligraphy piece about the Denver Broncos!

I'm most excited to write a love letter for my wife's 50th birthday this April. I will be using my Pilot Metropolitan (I have a small selection of pens) and probably the best ink I can find. As far as paper, it will depend on what I have on hand, but something nice. She has been through a lot these last couple of years and I want to do something special.

Thanks for a great PIF.

Just to be cleat I'm in.
Also she shares her birthday (April 20) with an infamous person.

Last edited:
I'm in! Thank you for the PIF!

I just recently picked up a couple of Lamy Vistas for my girlfriend and I. I'm looking to get into journaling and have been thinking of practicing my calligraphy, as well as poetry as it would be nice to be able to write some nice letters to her.

I'll play (really just for the Mont Blanc inks). I plan to write a 10 page paper for my E-Commerce class. I'll probably write the first draft and brainfarts storms on my Rhodia A4 top-bound spiral grid (that's almost out of paper) with my easiest writing pen... Burgundy Parker 51 medium.

I also plan to write a lot of special notes to my wife each morning with a dry erase marker on something I'm making her for our anniversary (Essentially framed artwork that says "I love you because;" and you fill in the blank).

If I get a Pelikan for my birthday/graduation (highly unlikely but a guy can hope), I'll probably use that exclusively for most of the year.

there is to many things in there I really want to try to not be in on this one. This year Im looking to catching up on my letter writing and of course im looking forward to getting my hand to write great calligraphy scripts like Spencerian and Copperplate. I really like coming home to letters in the mail, and I know when I write out to others they feel the same way, specially when they open the letter and see you have taken the time to really write something nicely

Ive even made it on a few peoples fridges :biggrin1:

very nice, and good on you for the pif. someone will be very happy with those field note and rhodia pads and the inks...i've never tried the j herbin anniversary ink (or what ever that bottle is with the gold wax stamp looking do dad) but have always thought the bottle looked cool.

i'm not in, as i have a couple bottles too many of ink myself, but in the coming year i plan to continue using my few bottles of ink, mainly waterman and iroshizuku inks, with whichever pen gets my fancy, to continue memorializing the interesting things i see in my family (fun things the kids and wife do or say)

Last edited:
I'm in.

I would use these great inks in the five daily journals I keep that cover the happenings in each of the five classes I teach. (Staples Sustainable Earth spiral notebooks) They would also be used in my personal journal and my meeting notebooks.

Thanks, Bob

Wow. What a great offer. I am new to FP. I have a metro, all star and a safari. I am reporter so my days are filled with running around and taking notes. In 2014 i hope to finish my novel. In 2013 I had a collection if poetry published and still continue to write poetry. I also just bought some great stationary and plan to write at least one letter to a friend a month.

That's quite a generous offering. ..... I'm in.

As a traveling man I get plenty of time on the road to write. I'm a journal keeper, postcard sender, and letter writer. While I particularly like sending impromptu letters to family members and friends (the smiles that follow are totally worth it) I courted my bride with a letter writing campaign, and never stopped. Now with a one-year-old boy, he and the missus are the target of many writings. He gets postcards from everywhere and I'm always penning her letters from weird places. I have a goal for my journal this year, but it's the letter writing and postcards that keep me filling pens. It'll be more of the same in 2014.

My tool of choice is an old flexy Waterman, however I keep a VP on hand as a back-up. I write on whatever is at hand. Ideally I can snag stationary, printed letterhead, or a envelope from somewhere on the road, but that's getting more and more difficult to find. I'd be more than happy to explore the offered paper and inks. The Rouge Hemitite is already on my wish list. I gotta try addressing envelopes with that stuff. I've always been Field Notes curious.

Again, that's quite a stash, and quite an act of kindness, Sir. The Shaving Gods will surely repay such a gesture. I see many BBS's in your future.....

Last edited:
:a47: So much good stuff here! What a generous PIF, Reckoner. Being closer to the front end of that acquisition arc, I would love to be considered for this, thank you.

What am I most excited about writing in 2014? Well, like you it's little notes and letters to my wonderful wife, who cheerfully puts up with the steady stream of packages showing up at the door. I also am being considered for a particular six-week workshop/class that's a pretty big deal at my level in Uncle Sam's canoe club, and if selected I've already got my pens and notebook picked out. (I'm such a dork.) Among my little (yet growing at an alarming rate) pen collection, my weapons of choice are my Pelikan 605 (M) and Conklin Mark Twain (1.1mm stub) - those are the two that would definitely make the trip with me, although with two more slots in the roll I'd likely take along my TWSBI (also a 1.1 stub) and my trusty Bexley Jitterbug (eyedroppered and full of 5OS since I got it, it's my everyday workhorse). I typically use Clairefontaine "Life.unplugged" notebooks for most of my writing at work and note taking, and I have some G. Lalo stationery (Love!) which I use for letters.

Thanks again for offering this awesome PIF.

I'm in. I will be starting my best man speach for my cousins wedding soon, and am looking forward to presenting him with a nice scripted version of it. That racing green would be perfect, I will also be presenting them both with pens and ink samples. I would love to include some of this stuff in with it.

I'd love to be in on this PIF!

The most important and biggest thing I'm writing this year is my baby journal. As I write this I'm actually sitting at the hospital waiting for my first to come along. ;) I've been keeping the baby journal both to record my thoughts and feelings during this event and to have something to pass on to the little one when they turn 18. And of course they'll be getting a pen too. :)

Good luck to all!

Cheers

M.

I'm in!

I am most excited about a separate journal I am keeping for all the funny things my kids say. When my oldest (now 4) was just starting to talk, my sister told me to write some of the stuff she said down, because I would never remember it. I know I have laughed and laughed but sure enough I can't remember anything specific now!

I have been pretty good at journaling since I got my FPs, so I am looking forward to something new.

Thanks for the opportunity and good luck to all!

Mitty

I'd like in...

This year I'm looking forward to increasing my letter righting, but most importantly I am finishing notes for a novel by April and will finish the first draft by August. I'm writing my notes and the first draft by hand, mostly with my Lamy 2000 and my Pilot Vanishing point, in Rodia notebooks. At this point I think I've filled eight of them with notes and concept drafts and other stories.

Here's to 2014!

Very tempted, especially with the Private Reserve Midnight Blues and Black Swan, but not in. While I am new to fountain pens, I try to not bring anything in to my house that I don't really want (I'm in a decluttering phase, somewhat).

Top Bottom